New sizer die leaves marks.

T

tcjones

All the terms and spelling won't be there but you'll get the jest. I bought a new set of dies , tried out the sizer die on some fire formed 6br brass. The first try on bumping the shoulder after measuring , I went to far. Even though I went to far from measuring with the gauge sent with the die I noticed a profound shiny ring below the neck and shoulder junction. After adjustment to get .002 bump I can still see with a 10 power lupe and feel the ring with a finger nail. To me it seem the angle of the die is out of sink or a ridge was left in the die. Any one have this problem or any ideas? Thanks, Tom

I could try but don't hold your breath. The shoulder did bump but it seems all the push was on the top part of the shoulder , enough to make a noticeable cut type ring all the way around the brass. I'll see about the picture.

I can't seem to get much further than manage attachments , sorry. Hey it worked!

Attachments

• IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 555
There's some angles that don't match up - I think. You can use the die just don't go with a specific bump but rather one that causes what you want. I had a die that performed in a similar fashion and it caused my necks to break off over time. Charlie Hood made me a "nek-nokker" to get the broken neck out of the die.

BTW - Thanks Charlie!

At first I thought being I never tried a shoulder bump for the sake of it, it was me. I'm starting to think not. Here is a lapua from the box, never fired, same setting. This was a lot to ask out of my $100.00 camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 496
That was my thoughts as well. It's not even a disapointment really, just a set back on some time. Even playing with this die I learned something new. I know 99.99% of the companies in this game make good ,replace ,repair or cash back. I don't know what happened on this one but I'll know soon enough. Any one out there , have you seen this before?

Is that a harrels? Ive seen it before. Does it look jagged? I think sometimes they bore too far down with the bushing pocket and the metal is kinda torn there. Whoever made it will fix it just sucks youre so far away.

Looks like a neck sizing die set too low. And yes it will break off the necks. Good thing you stopped.
there is a long story connected here.
The other guy keep going down with the die. 4-5 older shooters got asked about this. But, they had all given up on neck sizing dies.
And didn't see where this was leading.
The old says I paid $350 for this die and I am going to make it work..........................One too many broken necks and he was buying a new barrel.
Take that die and smash it. Real good. Don't want to mix up the stuff..........

It looks like a 30BR die was used with a 6 neck bushing, pull the bushing out and see if the die has been opened up for a 30.

Steve, I think you're on the right trail, it may also be a 6BR die made for a .262" neck and the brass is a no-turn, or similar.

Thanks for all the input guys, your my only teachers for miles. I gave a call to the die maker this morning with a good talk. As I guessed the die will be sent back for a good look see.
This way may be a short set back on time (and a couple wasted brass) but I'd rather send the thing back with hopes nobody else has to go through this. The fellow I talked with was wanting to see for himself as
well.
Seeings I'm send the die back and forth across the 48s I think I'll send, besides the demo brass a few fire formed and go a bump up for the custom fit.
We'll know soon enough and I'll give an update.
Thank you, Tom J.

Is that a harrels? Ive seen it before. Does it look jagged? I think sometimes they bore too far down with the bushing pocket and the metal is kinda torn there. Whoever made it will fix it just sucks youre so far away.
No it's not a Harrells. It's a good brand from what I've read and others have suggested. It'll work out. Thanks,

BTW - Thanks Charlie![/QUOTE]
No sir, Thank you. (funny, I have a friend in town named Charlie Wilber).

All the terms and spelling won't be there but you'll get the jest. I bought a new set of dies , tried out the sizer die on some fire formed 6br brass. The first try on bumping the shoulder after measuring , I went to far. Even though I went to far from measuring with the gauge sent with the die I noticed a profound shiny ring below the neck and shoulder junction. After adjustment to get .002 bump I can still see with a 10 power lupe and feel the ring with a finger nail. To me it seem the angle of the die is out of sink or a ridge was left in the die. Any one have this problem or any ideas? Thanks, Tom

Before using new dies I always clean them thoroughly, inside and out, removing any debris let from the shelf-preserving and manufacturing processes. After that, if I encounter any marks on brass I use 0000 steel wool, JB paste, or extremely fine sand paper for removing fine internal burrs. Following that with a phone call to the manufacturer for replacement if the above doesn't solve the problem. :)

I would think the cleaning would be as far as I would pay for. In this case some bore paste or steel wool probably won't get me the guess of .010 that needs for the die to be drilled deeper.
let alone the angle? I'm going to let the die maker
at the company have a good look and let me know the next move.
This is kind of like the old Johnny Carson playing stump the band.
,Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nek Nokker

I found it! Nobody cares but I found it nonetheless!

This may be the only one....

The outside diameter is EXACTLY the bushing diameter and the rod is a slip fit .250 inches. Works like a charm getting a neck out of the die quickly. When you have necks breaking off like I did you NEED ONE OF THESE BADLY.

Sooooo you might think....why? Well I don't remember why, but it's a really nice thing to have....

Go make yourself one or two!

Attachments

• IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 269
Back