New Shooter

K

kpnc2001

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been lurking in the background trying to learn.

I bought a Remington 40XB from the CMP and outfitted it with a Weaver T-36. I have a Caldwell Rock Rest and a Caldwell Universal Deluxe Rear bag.

I have also, just for kicks, just converted a 10/22 to a "Bull" Barrel, bedded, upgraded the trigger and put a Mueller APV scope on it.

I have had a blast shooting these.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.... The reason for this post is that shooting these has wetted my interest in rimfire benchrest shooting. My range has a rimfire benchrest "Fun" shoots and I am very interested in trying my hand in it.

I am amazed at how much the recoil of a .22 moves the cross hairs on the scope. How do I minimize that?

Are there any resources (books, websites, organizations) on techniques on shooting, types of matches, rules and any other information that i would need to know?

I realize that I need to participate in an event to get going in the sport, but I would like to have some confidence in my shooting first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The best teacher is getting out and shooting. When you start shooting your matches you will see what the winners are doing and I would be pretty sure they would be willing to help you in any way they can. Experience is a good teacher. Barry

The Rock BR front rest is not a disaster but the Caldwell rear bag is best left on your work bench in the shop where it works great. Protector and Edgewood rear bags will work much better. You need to make or buy a 3" wide forend glide plate for your stock. You will need to test some lots of better ammo. Lapua Center X and Eley Match EPS are very popular.

The best bet is to go to the match and try and get hooked up with some of the veterans and go to the range with them when they practice. This way you get to shoot over their flags and get some coaching and shoot their gun a little bit. In the end there is no substitute for shooting in matches, taking notes and learning by doing. Go to your first match expecting to finish last and you won't feel any disappointment. Experience is critical and you don't have any.

It's a great pasttime and all the shooters are really super friendly and helpful. Have fun.

There are monthly matches at the Durham club.You would be welcome to ask questions and observe.
Call Craig Young at 336-767-2854 for additional info.

Back