New Shooter Advice

Hello, I am interested in entering 1000 yd. shooting. I have done some research and like the 6.5X47 Lapua round. My question is where do I find a benchrest rifle in this caliber? Are they commercially available or custom-made? I would like to use Lapua brass and berger bullets that I will tip. Any recommended sizing and seating dies? I will process the brass for uniformity. My main concern is the rifle. Thank you, Dale

I'd like to insult you just enough to make you sit up and take notice, without causing you to take offense or ignore anything else I say. Since I'm not sure how to word such a message, just consider it written.

My first piece of advice is to go to a match. Given the equipment you're contemplating and apparent lack of prior experience, "go to a match" would also be items 2 through 10.

From New Hampshire, the nearest formal competition would probably be the Pennsylvania club, that (which?) holds matches in the summer months at Williamsport, Pennsylvania. I know of nothing closer. From Miami, the brand-new effort at Swainsboro, Georgia is probably closest. If that doesn't pan out, the North Carolina 1,000 yard Benchrest club that shoots at the Butner range in Durham, North Carolina is next.

As you can see, these are quite a distance from where you live.

While not really *long range,* 600 yard benchrest does use the same equipment rules. Though not available at every club, 600 yard ranges are easier to find. And your initial decisions on equipment would be far better suited to 600 yard competition. (I hesitate to say that lest you take it as validation of those choices. Take it as a very mild validation.)

Go to a match.

Oh yes. I hope you enjoy the sport, and welcome, welcome.

EDIT: I still have trouble with the "that/which" distinction. Give me a break, Jerry.

Last edited:
D2x..............Excellent advice from Charles E as always. Just curious how you came up with that cartridge? While it will work to a degree??? I doubt it would be competitive. I might suggest going to the web side for the 1,000 yard clubs Charles mentioned or just Google 1,000 yard clubs and go to "Match Results" ---Equipment. Look at what other shooters around the country are using..................AND winning with. That should give you a better idea on a cartridge to pick. And yes, most of the cartridges you will find will be custom chamberings. If you wanted to go "Entry Level?" The Savage 6.5 x .284 in their heavy laminated stock would be a good choice. That cartridge alone would be a much better choice (in fact it has won many matches) than a 6.5 x 47 Lapua (Not enough steam in the boiler room). Bullets of choice in 6.5 are generally in the 140 grain range and the Lapua case is a bit on the small side. As mentioned it would be better at 600 yards but even there, most are using some variation of the 6mmBR with the 105 - 108 br. Bergers, MK's or A-Max's. Do yourself a favor and research your choice a little more and try to visit a match before plunking down your hard earned cash.
Rich De

Manatee Range Bradenton Fl

Spoke to several 1000 yd shooters and looked at the range. I used to shoot benchrest many years ago at 200 yds using a 222 Rem Mag built by Roger Schmill in Michigan.
I have some experience at BR but not at 1000 yds. I have shot loads of 22 lr at 100 and 200 with a Turbo rifle and a Rem 40X. I looked at the Savage 6.5 X 284 and that is also a consideration as an entry level rifle and perhaps, the best immediate choice.
Thanks for the responses and advice. Dale

If i was planning on getting in to 1000 yd. shooting, i would do as Charles says and go to a match. I would plan a trip to New Hampshire and stop at Williamsport and see a match. They shoot Light guns on Saturday and Heavy guns on Sundays. The reason i suggest Williamsport is because of the number of shooters. You really get to see alot of guns and eguipment. They usually have 90 Light guns and 80 heavy guns. There was also a couple of brand new guns for sale that was built by Mark King. Go to Pa.1000yard.com and check out the dates and look around the site for shoot results and see whats winning. Matt

Dale,

There are new chamberings being tried at 1,000 yards, due, I think, to the 600 yard format. I would hesitate to say the 6.5x54 Lapua is not competitive, but I'd echo Rich that there are better choices. Time will tell on the 6.5x54 Lapua, but that's not a good situation for a new shooter to be in. I've shot 6.5s -- a 6.5/06 AI, which won me a lot of fake wood. Rich De for a time held the IBS Light Gun small group record with a 6.5 -- he was shooting a variant on the 6.5/284.

Rich has pretty much forsaken 1,000 yard BR for 600 yard. Before that, he was a point-blank benchrest shooter, as was I. I started shooting 1,000 BR from the time it was sanctioned by the IBS in 1995, and do have the Long-Range Marksman jacket -- as does Rich.

So much for history and bona fides.

I'm not familiar with the Florida club. Unless very recent, they are not affiliated with IBS, NBRSA, or Pennsylvania. For competition, you're looking in the neighborhood of $2,500 for a Light Gun, and $3,000 for a Heavy Gun. Another considerable sum for dies, optics, etc. Cheap insurance to go to a registered match, even if it's an expensive trip.

By this time, 1K competition is just as demanding as point-blank ever was, but the inability to see your bullet holes in the target places a premium on the equipment -- the barrel and bullets -- and precision reloading.

Several thoughts: If you are going to insist on some of the "newer" chamberings, check out the West Virginia club's match reports. There are some good results coming out of there with what I think of as midrange (600 yard) chamberings. Then make contact with someone who has actually used them for more information -- tricks and pitfalls.

I'd also get as many barrels as you can afford to purchase and have chambered. And a selection of bullets. As an old-time benchrest shooter, you know it doesn't matter a whit what bullet *you* like, it's what that barrel likes. To a lesser degree, the same with powder.

I can't stress enough that 80 percent of success is the rifle (barrel) and ammunition. Only if it is very, very windy do wind-reading skills begin to enter into the equation. That, and the inability to correct for shots by observing the last shot's strike has made a lot of short-range benchrest shooters dislike 1K BR.

F-class is different of course, the target is pulled and spotted for each shot. Most of us will get off 10 shots before an F-class shooter has three rounds downrange. The Australians did some testing on the different formats, always shooting "benchrest": the smaller groups always came with run and gun, not with pulling and spotting the target.

Shooting 1K is an art. Preparing for it a science.

EDIT:

"dk hunt 14," who typed in his reply while I was writing my longer one, is the current record holder for the smallest 1,000 yard 10-shot group.

BTW, while there are three sanctioning bodies, most of us take "world record" as just that, no matter which of the sanctioning bodies it was shot under.

Last edited:
Amen to the world record. Anyone that can put 10 shots in 2.815 inches at 1000 yards, My hat is off to you. But I don't wear a hat. The way I shot this weekend I need Matt to set my rifle up like he did for Frank. But I'm not President anymore. D2xshooter you may want to look into 6mm also,there have been some nice groups with them also. Charles: Chip wagner had 8 shots in the X with a 4.2" group. You still putting the money up for all 10 in the X ? We had alot of people a the club this weekend watching that are going to be shooting this summer.

Joe Salt

Joe, we're hijacking Dale's thread, but let's let it go for just a couple of posts. I did say I'd put up a bounty for a 10x 100. Never said how much. I was hoping we'd get some more people to sign on & make it really worthwhile. I'll put up $250. Anybody willing to up the ante? (BTW, my best one is a 6x 4-inch group. Small potatoes.)

Has to be shot in registered competition & signed off on by the referees.

I think Dale got everything he needs for now, sorry Dale but you have to come to at least one match. That sounds generous Charles I think the members should all chip in a buck a match until someone does it. I believe that would bring out the big guns.

Joe Salt

Back