new rifle

Aussie steve

Hi guys I have just brought a secondhand rifle that was used for hunter class benchrest. The rifle is built around an older brno model 2 (same as the cz 452), that has been trued, fitted with extra take down screws, had a recoil lug installed, it wears either a Maddco or a Shilen stainless barrel, it also has a 7oz trigger and the dovetails have been altered to accept kelby rings, and bedded into a McMillian hunter stock.

The previous owner stated that groups in the low .2's at 50 were pretty common in good conditions, I am just wondering with a .22lr how many rounds would need to fired before there was a noticable decrease in accuracy? For example if my rifle did low .2's at 50, how many shots would it take to get it to the stage where it would no longer shoot under .3?

This is my first true benchrest rifle, so if my question sounds silly thats why

Steve

Hi guys I have just brought a secondhand rifle that was used for hunter class benchrest. The rifle is built around an older brno model 2 (same as the cz 452), that has been trued, fitted with extra take down screws, had a recoil lug installed, it wears either a Maddco or a Shilen stainless barrel, it also has a 7oz trigger and the dovetails have been altered to accept kelby rings, and bedded into a McMillian hunter stock.

The previous owner stated that groups in the low .2's at 50 were pretty common in good conditions, I am just wondering with a .22lr how many rounds would need to fired before there was a noticable decrease in accuracy? For example if my rifle did low .2's at 50, how many shots would it take to get it to the stage where it would no longer shoot under .3?

This is my first true benchrest rifle, so if my question sounds silly thats why

Steve
Aussie Steve: Quit worrying about asking silly questions . There are no dumb or silly questions just dumb or silly answers. I don't have the answer you are looking for but encourage you to learn as much as you can about how your rifle shoots and what ammo it likes. Experiment with it .
I have a CZ but I use it for squirrel hunting not benchrest . My benchrest rifles are All Anschutz. I have had fair luck with them and like you I am still learning. garrisone

Too many variables to say for sure. 10 rounds of American 'match' ammo will leave deposits of lead in the throat of my rifles.

I shoot one of my rifles in 'Benchrest Silhouette' matches. I normally enter 2 classes which takes about 3 boxes of ammo [ Eley Match EPS ]. There is no time to clean during the day. After 3 boxes the required cleaning procedure is the same as if only one box had been fired. 3 to 5 wet patches [ Ballistol ], 3 dry patches. Clean bore verified with a borescope.

I think most BR shooters do some sort of patching after every target.

Here is a different look at it. I have a 47 year old Winchester Model 52D that I have shot for many years in position matches. This past spring, to see what it was still capable of, I took it to a rimfire BR match and shot the match with it. Two of the targets I shot that day with it were 234 and 237 scores and while this is not great scorewise, I am very pleased that the old Winchester did this well considering it is a standard weight barrel .706" dia at the muzzle, factory trigger, and still in the original factory position shooting stock. This gun has not been modified or optimized in any way and the stock itself is not very good for rested type shooting.

Point is, this gun still is capable of shooting groups in the .2" to .3" range at 50 yards even after many thousand bullets have been down the barrel. To my way of thinking, this gun supports what many say about not being able to wear out a rimfire barrel as long as its given proper care...

Happy shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

I have a 1957 brno that was used for a long time as pro rabbit shooters 2nd rifle, when working it would have done between 350-500 shots a night. I know it was used for about 5-6 years and in that time it would have worked maybe 1 night in 5. Then there is the 30 odd bricks I have put through it, since I got it of the pro, and it was 40 odd years old before the pro shooter got hold of it.

No joke it shoots winchester power points into about half an inch at 50 meters, and target ammo slightly better, and that is with the original barrel. I dont ever clean it, as it goes right off he boil when cleaned, and it takes about 50 shots or so for the accuracy and P.O.I to return to normal, and it takes about 15-20 shots between copper plated hunting ammo and plain lead bullets before accuracy returns when changing from one to the other.

Steve

Is the question literally how many shots, as in thousands, before accuracy deteriorates or how long before you need to clean it? Of course, the answer is the same either way. Depends on the gun.

I was more asking about how many shots roughly would it take before a noticable drop in accuracy occurs? I mean that if a gun will shoot .2's pretty regular and 2 weeks, 1 month or 10 years down the track it wont shoot under .3, then there has been a loss of accuracy, regardless of if its a rimfire or centerfire, its just that the rifles is so accurate that it shows the accuracy loss sooner than a sporter would.

Has anybody here actually shot out a .22 rimfire barrel? The pro shooters used to say every 3-4 years they would shoot one out, but they are shooting massive amounts of ammo, and only head shooting rabbits at 25 yards max, so if it was no longer shooting for them it was well and truely toasted for anything else.

Cheers

Steve

Back