New Rifle, First Time competing

M

molson1130

Ok so i didn't want to come in ask one of those questions that have been answered a 1,000 times before but I've searched the net and these forums for hours and cant quite find the info I need. I'm new to competition shooting (besides betting with my shooting buddies) and now I'm hooked. I'd like to get into bigger competitions before I do tho I think I need a rifle. I've been using my dads old Winchester mod. 250 and getting groups under 1 1/2 inch at 50 yards(Id like to do better). So I'd like to know what rifle is the best or one every one can agree on. From my searching Ive come across a few models that have some merit

Marlin mod. 60 or xt22
Savage mark II
Cz 452 lux
Ruger 10-22
Rem 597
Anschutz 64

What I'd like is a tack driver even at 100+yard out of the box or with some DIY smithing. Balanced, Reliable comfortable to shoot off hand and the whole setup cost about $500-$600 (not including scope)
I know at that price range the anschutz wont be possible but any input is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
You say you want to compete. Where and at what level? What you want and what is realistic may not be the same thing and advice on how to get to where you want to be may be more appropriate. If you want to compete in BR in a major association, you would be better served with a 40X and letting a pro smith fit a competitive barrel and trigger on it as you need it and can afford it.

Whether it is rimfire or 1,000 yard benchrest, the best advice we can give to someone interested is to go to a match. Yes, it takes time and costs gas. But you will learn so much more, meet some good people, and get a general idea of what it takes to compete. Suppose I tell you I get groups 1/10 the size of yours. It's sort of meaningless, too big a jump in scale. But if you're at a match and can see target after target, what wins and what doesn't, things begin to fall into place.

And maybe we can sign you up on the spot ;-)

Molson1130, Hi and welcome, Pickels hit spot on in your price range, look for a older Match 54 action Annie, Keep an Eye on Pilkguns forums, target talk- for sale section. They show up there quite a bit. You can check with Mac Tilton, forget the company name, Champions choice or Champions shooters supply( 2 seperate co.) Annie 64's are ok but the 54 will run rings around them ( just the trigger alone is light years different). The 54 is a much better action than the 64. 40x are good rifles but most will be priced way out of your stated range.
Another choice on the used market would be a Rem. 540x or 540xr , check with Brian Volker he is the wizard on those. ( hope I spelled the last name right.)

Well thanks everyone for the welcome. As for what level I want to compete at I'm not sure I'm just amateur but I've been wanting a new gun for a while I'll check for a 54 again thanks for the info

Could you narrow it down to what discipline you are interested in? Benchrest, position, Biathlon, Mo-skeet, Silly wet,etc.

Rifle selection and equipment vary widely depending on discipline.

I'd like to get into bench rest and 3-position or just prone shooting.

Tuff location...On the ARA website (link on the homepage of this site) there is a map that locates all the clubs. There are a couple in central CA that are probably the closest.

Back