New owner of a 40XB 7MM need some help with scope set up

From what I gather from Remington's data, no such thing as a factory long action 40X. My 7mm rem mag is short and the bolt must be removed top unload a live round.

Thank you Jerry

A 40xb in 7rem mag? Must be a replacement barrel? I would question trying a 7rem mag as a target round?

Jerry, thanks for questioning the use of the 7 Mag as a target round.

Wgusler, I don't know what the circumstances were when you acquired your 40X but Jerry Sharrett seems to be the only one willing to say what the rest of us knew from the beginning and that is, a 7 mag is completely unsuited for what you're trying to do. The 7 mag is a shoulder bustin' grossly over powered cartridge for target shooting. :eek:

With that said, let me assure you there is nothing wrong with the Rem 40X as a target rifle. It's the old standard by which all modern day benchrest actions are judged. It's just that the 7 mag barrel should be replaced with something more reasonable. I hope you have some experienced, knowledgeable and concientious friends and mentors that can help you get started down the right path. :) BR target shooting is an interesting pursuit but you need some help in the beginning. BR Central is your friend. Best of luck to you. Have fun.

Gene Beggs

I own a factory 40xb in 7mmRemMag, tis a single shot, short action. I have never seen anything but short actions in the 40x line, but one can never say never.

You have to remove the bolt in my rifle, if you try to extract an unfired cartridge. I have nowhere to shoot 1000yds, but have a little(just a taste) experience at 200yd hunter class target. My rifle has the Remington 2oz trigger. I used some 100gr and 168gr bullets in the Cumby matches years ago. It did clean a perfect score on one 200 yd hunter class target(50-5x) shot in an informal match there at Cumby. My Culver(large click) powder measure had to throw two identical charges to get the handload because of the size of powder charge for the 7mmRemMag, and used Wilson hand dies.

Guess the factory rifle impressed me that day on that one target. Yeah, I know one target does not make the match, but it was special to me; shooting against guys with very impressive full custom rifles. It somehow held its own on the match even with me driving. One learns something new everyday.

Without any experience I would take a looksee at the 30+MM scopes to give you elevation adjustments. I would reckon one would have to choose between first and second focal plane. My old wood stocked rifle carried an old Weaver T16, all that I had. I kinda regret that I never tried longer range shooting, but the ranges near me are 300 or less that I know about.

Always liked the 27 1/4" barrels, the stock design, and light trigger of the old 40x.

Hope you enjoy yours, I would shoot it to see how things go before making a big investment. Yeah, I like aftermarked barrels myself but can depend on what discipline you expect to try out............ :)

I own a factory 40xb in 7mmRemMag, tis a single shot, short action. I have never seen anything but short actions in the 40x line, but one can never say never.

You have to remove the bolt in my rifle, if you try to extract an unfired cartridge. I have nowhere to shoot 1000yds, but have a little(just a taste) experience at 200yd hunter class target. My rifle has the Remington 2oz trigger. I used some 100gr and 168gr bullets in the Cumby matches years ago. It did clean a perfect score on one 200 yd hunter class target(50-5x) shot in an informal match there at Cumby. My Culver(large click) powder measure had to throw two identical charges to get the handload because of the size of powder charge for the 7mmRemMag, and used Wilson hand dies.

Guess the factory rifle impressed me that day on that one target. Yeah, I know one target does not make the match, but it was special to me; shooting against guys with very impressive full custom rifles. It somehow held its own on the match even with me driving. One learns something new everyday.

Without any experience I would take a looksee at the 30+MM scopes to give you elevation adjustments. I would reckon one would have to choose between first and second focal plane. My old wood stocked rifle carried an old Weaver T16, all that I had. I kinda regret that I never tried longer range shooting, but the ranges near me are 300 or less that I know about.

Always liked the 27 1/4" barrels, the stock design, and light trigger of the old 40x.

Hope you enjoy yours, I would shoot it to see how things go before making a big investment. Yeah, I like aftermarked barrels myself but can depend on what discipline you expect to try out............ :)
\Thanks for sharing that, I appreciate it.

Jerry, thanks for questioning the use of the 7 Mag as a target round.

Wgusler, I don't know what the circumstances were when you acquired your 40X but Jerry Sharrett seems to be the only one willing to say what the rest of us knew from the beginning and that is, a 7 mag is completely unsuited for what you're trying to do. The 7 mag is a shoulder bustin' grossly over powered cartridge for target shooting. :eek:

With that said, let me assure you there is nothing wrong with the Rem 40X as a target rifle. It's the old standard by which all modern day benchrest actions are judged. It's just that the 7 mag barrel should be replaced with something more reasonable. I hope you have some experienced, knowledgeable and conscientious friends and mentors that can help you get started down the right path. :) BR target shooting is an interesting pursuit but you need some help in the beginning. BR Central is your friend. Best of luck to you. Have fun.

Gene Beggs

I do understand that the 7 mag is not the proper tool for BR or target and didn't buy it to compete in either. Truth is, I haven't owned a bolt action center fire for years. I have competed in handgun/pistol competition in my younger days and still do work on them and build S&W target revolvers for fun. I have a group of friends that I do some work on their hunting rifles, mount scopes and sight them in. I have a 540XR .22, AR -15, Garand, M-1 carbine and recently acquired a Mosin M38 carbine.( don't really count that as a real bolt action, more like a turd with a barrel:)) I enjoy shooting all of them from time to time and now my son getting more into guns.

So I wanted a CF target gun and the Remington 540/40 guns are really cool to me. Bought it simply to shoot for fun and teach my son how to shoot something other than an semi auto military type platform.

I do have some "have some experienced, knowledgeable and conscientious friends and mentors " giving me some guidance. You and the others above:). That's why I posted here, who better that BR guys to ask about this. Boyd Allen was nice enough to speak with me on this and very helpful. Ordered a Sightron SIII SS 10-50x60 today.

The plan is to mount the scope, go shoot it with factory ammo and she what she can do at 100/200. Bed the action and pillar it, do some trigger work and try again. If My son and myself are having fun, I will invest in a bolt and barrel to make it a 6MM and then start loading my own ammo. At that point, I may seek out some fun shoots or competitions in the area. I also want to understand how to actually use a scope for variable distances and conditions.

As far as "shoulder bustin" been there, done that. It only hurts for a min:)

Yeah, recoil in this type of rifle chambering. I should have mentioned it...........guess such is not always obvious to all folks.

For years I shot the 22/45's(long and short), 6x47's, and to some degree the PPC's...........in the three BR classes for the most part free recoil. The 40x and 7mmRemMag certainly will teach you the error of your ways if you try that. Even with its weight, the recoil is up there; not horrible by any means, but it is present and will ring you if you do not respect it.

Having a 2oz trigger letting go of a fairly potent case, I first applied a semi-gorilla type grip to the rifle, and as time went on, eventually got used to how it reacted, and how I could manage it while trying to hit something.

Sounds like you already know all of this, but hate to have anyone bashed because I was short in covering in my comments a little.

I bought an engraved(aftermarket work) 40xb action from Ridings at Cumby years ago and a friend gave me a remington 40xb stock new in the wrapper, the action had the 2oz trigger. Several suitable Shilen barrels reside under the couch. It is in the 473 boltface, factory type extractor. I hope to make up a 220 Swift 40 degree or perhaps move to a 25-06 A.I. once I get around to it. Should have had it done by now, but life has its own character at times. Maybe in the coming year.

I bet you enjoy the 40x...............go out and shoot it.........lots.

Update on my new toy.

Pulled the 40XB apart, built some pillars & bedded the action with Devcon. Smoothed out the trigger and polished it ( I hate rough , square edge triggers)gave it a good cleaning. Stripped the stock and refinished it in 3 coats of urethane clear. The wood is really good looking once it was refinished, 3 different natural colors on the walnut.

Bought a Sightron SIII SS 10-50x60, Seekins high rings and a 20 MOA one-piece base. Bedded the base, lapped the rings and mounted her up. Did a quick sight in at the indoor range and the recoil isn't so bad. Guess the weight helps. Will be at the 100-200 yards range next weekend to see what I can do. I'm assuming the gun is capable of more than I am:).

Thinking of using some 150 grain Federals for the short term vs the 168/170. Good idea or bad?

Ordered a Bald Eagle BE1153 and a couple Protektor Model Rabbit Ear rear rests, should be good enough for starting out.

Last edited:
Update on the 40XB ( and my sore shoulder)

After 4 trips to the range and 100 plus rounds, we are getting a handle on this beast. Each trip has been a learning experience and I enjoy it. Boyd Allen has be very helpful in guiding me thru the learning process. Learning how to set -up and use the scope, my seating position, hold and setting up the gun on the rest took some time, but I am comfortable with most of it now.

Added a Jewell trigger and set it for 8oz.( OMG, I never owned a "Real" trigger before, it is unbelievable) Tried 5 different factory loads and found it likes Federal Fusion 175 grain the best. Started out at 4-5 inch groups at 200 yards and got it down to around 2 inches using Hornady Performance 154 Grain factory ammo. Changed to standard Federal 150 grain got a little better, about 1.75 inch.
Yesterday, I set up on the 100 yard range as my son was with me shooting iron sights on his FAL. Fired four 3 shot groups with all the different ammo and the 175 Fusion was clearly the best. So I did a 5 shot group and came up with this.

It's off on the elevation as I didn't change the scope from the 200 yard settings.
Next step will be reloading some 7MM and working up a load, or punt and convert it to 6MM.
Thanks again for your help!

That's a pretty good group for a 7mm!

Thanks, I am going back to 200 next time out and see what we can do. Hoping to get under 1" group. I feel like the gun is capable but the driver may be lacking :) .

My son likes to say , "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian".

After a long drought, back to the range yesterday.

Work and life have intervened and kept me away from the range until yesterday. Set up and put a couple rounds down range, cleaned the barrel and then shot 5 rounds fairly fast to verify we were still sighted in. Yea! , 5 shots under an inch @ 200! Couple of clicks and then shot the left dot, about 1/4" high and the right one right on the money. Ran out of time but I think I am getting a handle on this beast.

I have learned that the gun is quite capable with the Federal 175 Fusions, the variable is me and reading conditions. The 3 shot groups at 200 yards are consistently 2 touching and then one about 1/4" off. My best 3 shot effort at 200 so far measured .338 inch center to center. When I take my time and really work at it, I can pick a hole at 200 and touch it with the next round. Found that I can watch my heartbeat thru the scope and now I try to time my shots accordingly. Seems the longer I hold on target and relax, the better it works. This is really interesting and fun, even learning that my belief that I could shoot accurately was way off the truth. :(

Gun is still better than me, when that changes, I'll pick a 6MM round and shop for a bolt and barrel.

The rifle is not better than you. Common error and a less costly one at that...but the rifle is not better than you.

If the rifle will not shoot better, how can you judge your skill?

Last edited:
The rifle is not better than you. Common error and a less costly one at that...but the rifle is not better than you.

If the rifle will not shoot better, how can you judge your skill?

Without having a baseline of a skilled person shooting the gun, or clamping into a gun vice, I guess I don't know. What would one expect from this set up/ factory ammo?

When I was using the three different types of ammo, the groups would change by a lot, now with the 175 Fusions, it stays about the same. I just feel that the inconsistency is more me than the gun. I don't feel like I am doing everything exactly the same each time. Sometimes, after a shot, I know its off before looking at the target. Haven't reached the place where I believe that the limitation is the equipment as opposed to lack of experience on my part.

If after a couple more trips to the range with a no-wind conditions, I can't get better groups, then that is all she's got. :) Still plan on looking into the 6MM set up.

Last edited:
I am a long time fan of teh 40XB and that one is likely the cleanest one I ave ever seen. The 7 mag may not shoot like a BR or other target round, but it is no slouch. I run a Sendero with hefty amounts of 7828 and a 150 Nosler BT. It is a 1/3 inch gun, and a fine long range hunting rifle. I broke in on a 7mm mag 40x shooting groundhogs in the late 1970's. It is a short action, and yes, you pull the bolt to remove a loaded cartridge. It was death on chucks with 120 grain bullets to 600 yards.

For what you are doing and what you are lerning, you are on a fast learning curve and are doing a fine job. Keep at it.

NICE RIFLE

Your rifle shoots better than I expected. What I'm sayin' here is that's about all it will do. To shoot better groups and more important, consistently better groups, you'll have to swap rifles...and keep swapping until you get the rifle that you want. As I eluded earlier...you may choose to stay right there as your rifle seems to be exceptionable.

I am a long time fan of teh 40XB and that one is likely the cleanest one I ave ever seen. The 7 mag may not shoot like a BR or other target round, but it is no slouch. I run a Sendero with hefty amounts of 7828 and a 150 Nosler BT. It is a 1/3 inch gun, and a fine long range hunting rifle. I broke in on a 7mm mag 40x shooting groundhogs in the late 1970's. It is a short action, and yes, you pull the bolt to remove a loaded cartridge. It was death on chucks with 120 grain bullets to 600 yards.

For what you are doing and what you are lerning, you are on a fast learning curve and are doing a fine job. Keep at it.

NICE RIFLE
Thanks!

Your rifle shoots better than I expected. What I'm sayin' here is that's about all it will do. To shoot better groups and more important, consistently better groups, you'll have to swap rifles...and keep swapping until you get the rifle that you want. As I eluded earlier...you may choose to stay right there as your rifle seems to be exceptionable.

I would like to keep it as is and reload for it , but it starts to hurt after a couple boxes. I might decide to just leave it alone vs re barreling it for 6mm. Need more money so I can buy another 40X and build a second one in 6MM and leave the big boy alone.

Back