New owner of a 40XB 7MM need some help with scope set up

W

Wgusler

I have been a lurker here for years, but now have joined. Just purchased a 1988 single shot 40XB in 7mm Remington Magnum. I have with experience with hunting rifles, rimfire target ( 540XR), but have never played with centerfire target rifles. I did compete in handgun/pistol competition years ago , but my old eyes are no up to the task anymore, so why not try something new.
Longest range in my area is 200 yards, so I will be limited to that as I am learning. There is a 1000 yard range with competitions within a couple hours of home and that may be something for later.

No ready to go for a 2-3K on optics as of now, I may suck at this and don't need a high end set up to start. I have looked at a SWFA 5-20X50 30mm,

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

and the SWFA 10X42 HD.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

As far as the base/ring set-up, I prefer the best available, so if I do spring for a high end scope later, I'll be set.
Any Ideas or guidance for a new guy? Thanks in advance for your help.

Guess I should be more clear on my question(s)
Looked at the Kelbly site based on comment from members here. Standard of 25MOA? I have always just used standard Leupold rings and dovetail bases in the past. And the bases, dovetail or picatinny? Use Kelbly mounts or others? Two piece or a single picatinny mount?
Another question; I have always mounted bases with just a bit of oil under them, medium Loctite on the threads and then aligned and lapped the rings. Should I bed the mounts with epoxy or acurglass?
I have read many threads on the subject, but not covering my specific situation. Thanks.

new owner of 40xb 7mm need help with scope set up

You have a ways to go in set up but for 100 200 yd shooting standard bases and rings will do.
Forget the oil and epoxy is the ticket for the base,s
here are a few things to learn and do 1 neck turning brass
2 have the action bedded in the stock
3 Buy a decent scope most are using 30mm theses days
4 have a quality trigger installed
Get some quality brass and handload to your rifle.
This is just a small start the rest is up to you and your wallet.

If you shoot out to 1000 yards, you will probably need 25 Moa mounts, depending on the scope used. But be warned, if you use 25 Moa mounts, you might not be able to get it sighted in a 200, depending on the scope.

That is why you should opt for a top quality scope.

As for accuracy, get a box of 180 grn Berger Hybrids and a can of SC 4831 or H1000.

Many might disagree, but the best thing you could do with your 40x is install a custom barrel. It's the single best investment you can make as far as accuracy is concerned.

Get yourself a Nightforce 12-42X56 BR

Lots of them available on the resale market for about $1100. If you ever plan to shoot long distance (>200 yards) you will want a variable power scope for those days when the mirage is thick. A 20 MOA base will be fine.

I have this combination on a 6.5x47 Lapua F-Class rifle. 100Y zero. No problems reaching out to 1000 Yards. Good luck!

Lots of them available on the resale market for about $1100. If you ever plan to shoot long distance (>200 yards) you will want a variable power scope for those days when the mirage is thick. A 20 MOA base will be fine.

I have this combination on a 6.5x47 Lapua F-Class rifle. 100Y zero. No problems reaching out to 1000 Yards. Good luck!

I will take a look. How is that scope at 100- 200? Found a demo unit for 1129.00:).

My 7MM 40XB is a short action, you have to pull the bolt to remove and unfired round.

Oh yea, steel or aluimum bases?

If you shoot out to 1000 yards, you will probably need 25 Moa mounts, depending on the scope used. But be warned, if you use 25 Moa mounts, you might not be able to get it sighted in a 200, depending on the scope.

That is why you should opt for a top quality scope.

As for accuracy, get a box of 180 grn Berger Hybrids and a can of SC 4831 or H1000.

Many might disagree, but the best thing you could do with your 40x is install a custom barrel. It's the single best investment you can make as far as accuracy is concerned.

I intend to scope it and play with it for a while, then send it off to Brian Volker for bedding/ trigger/ action work. If he thinks a barrel is needed, will do.

Once that is complete, I will start learning to reload.

I will take a look. How is that scope at 100- 200? Found a demo unit for 1129.00:).

My 7MM 40XB is a short action, you have to pull the bolt to remove and unfired round.

Oh yea, steel or aluimum bases?

The only issue with the 12-42X56 BR scope is its weight. 36 oz. That's why you don't see many in the 100/200Y benchrest game. The guys can't afford the weight. 600Y/1000Y benchrest or any type F-Class shooting, they are considered one of the best scopes available and, hands down, the best value for the money.

They also use an adjustable objective lens for parallax adjustment. Not as convenient to adjust as a side knob when you're on your belly on the ground. Something you need to consider.

My advice would be a steel base. Good luck.

Last edited:
The only issue with the 12-42X56 BR scope is its weight. 36 oz. That's why you don't see many in the 100/200Y benchrest game. The guys can't afford the weight. 600Y/1000Y benchrest or any type F-Class shooting, they are considered one of the best scopes available and, for the money, the hands down best value for the money.

They also use an adjustable objective lens for parallax adjustment. Not as convenient to adjust as a side knob when you're on the ground and on your belly. Sometime you need to consider.

My advice would be a steel base. Good luck.

A few years ago I shot the 12X42-56 NXS on my light Varmint rifle. Yes it was a little bit of work to make weight.

The 40XB was available in 6.5x55, 7 Rem mag, 30-06, and 30-338 in single shot along with other calibers. I don't know if the bolt had to be removed to load them or not.

The 40XB was available in 6.5x55, 7 Rem mag, 30-06, and 30-338 in single shot along with other calibers. I don't know if the bolt had to be removed to load them or not.
butch, that 40x Rangemaster I had was a standard solid bottom short action 40x in 25-06. I scavenged the action to build my 1st Benchrest Rifle and screwed that long SS Factory 25-06 barrel onto a BDL.

new owner of 40xb 7mm need help with scope set up

Fwiw My 40Xb rangemaster repeater has clip slot and the receiver is milled on top for longer oals
Its set up for a course rifle

Jackie, I'm not sure in reading my Remington book that they actually had a long action, but had some long action cartridges in single shot only. I guess that you would have to remove the bolt to extract a round.The short action repeaters were cut on top for stripper clips.

Back