New NF 15-55X52 Competition scope

One the subject of extra low dispersion glass. It isn't so much the ED glass that deals with chromatic aberration ( of which there are many types ) it's the lens construction. The ED glass reduces the number of elements required in each group to deal with it. Lenses could be made that addressed various types of chromatic aberration before these Ed glass types became available. But even when ED glassed is used they really only deal with the lateral chromatic aberration which is nearly fully corrected. Longitudinal chromatic aberration and several others are not addressed at all and for the most part probably don't need to be. However they could be albeit at the expense of greater weight and money.
Andy.

Andy, I don't doubt this for one minute. Marketing guys use words which often imply things which may not be entirely correct.

Nightforce has this to say about their Competition Scope design:

"ED glass, for superb color contrast correction and high resolution."

""The exceptional resolving power of the Competition’s ED glass, combined with our lens coatings and uncompromising construction techniques perfected over 20 years, means that all of the Competition’s magnification range produces outstanding clarity…not just a portion of it, as is often the case in lesser optics. For the serious competitor, this is one serious riflescope.""

http://nightforceoptics.com/15-55x52-competition/

I can't recall what their brochure stated, but when I have some time I'll look it over again.

For the interim, would you happen to have a few links to give which would allow a person to be more education on the subject?

I shot the Competition 15-55X today in a 600 yard match. This was my first competition with this new scope. It performed well and I got to compare its image to a March variable...both set at 50X. With the extreme mirage we had today, I could tell no difference in the image quality of these two fine scopes.
The NF performed its adjustments in windage and elevation perfectly and the parallax was easy to set. NO, I did not win the match but I did finish second to another shooter with a NF 12X-42X BR model. He beat me by one point and we both had one diasterous target. I am totally satisfyed with the new NF Competition and look forward to shooting it under more favorable conditions. Good shooting.... James PS- I shot it set at 55X throughout the day. No, I could not see my bullet holes at the 600 yard distance in the horrible mirage.
2q1uc86.jpg

the March 8-80x56 was a very dark scope @ higher magnifcation. When you got it past the 40x it was like someone dimmed the lights. The 5-50x56 was better. These scopes were their tactical line.

I did not notice either the March or the NF as being "dark". Of course it was a bright, sunny day. James
27ysxvr.jpg

Last edited:
Umm links

Andy, I don't doubt this for one minute. Marketing guys use words which often imply things which may not be entirely correct.

Nightforce has this to say about their Competition Scope design:

"ED glass, for superb color contrast correction and high resolution."

""The exceptional resolving power of the Competition’s ED glass, combined with our lens coatings and uncompromising construction techniques perfected over 20 years, means that all of the Competition’s magnification range produces outstanding clarity…not just a portion of it, as is often the case in lesser optics. For the serious competitor, this is one serious riflescope.""

http://nightforceoptics.com/15-55x52-competition/

I can't recall what their brochure stated, but when I have some time I'll look it over again.

For the interim, would you happen to have a few links to give which would allow a person to be more education on the subject?

As far as links about glass I would google the various glass manufacturers like Schott/Garsgo or Chance Pilkington about the latest ED glass they make. As far as lens designs optical firms are using to create their masterpieces they keep that sort of information pretty close to their chests. A book that was written by Sidney Ray and published by focal press called applied photographic optics although very technical contained chapters that explained what was going on with chromatic aberration. It may be out of print the ISBN was 0-240-51499-8
Andy.

There are only two choices for reticles in this new model. One is the .16 MOA crosshair with .125 dot and the other is the double dot. I ordered the double dot since that is the one I had in a BR model some years ago. Good shooting. James PS- the DD reticle can be used as a range finder. At 55X the hash marks are 1 MOA and the distance from the two horizontal lines that bracket the floating dot is also one MOA. Here is a picture that I took across my wheat field at a power pole that is ~ 550 yards. The picture was difficult to take and I didn't get perfect alignment. The scope was set at 25X for this photo.
lkyzc.jpg

Last edited:
Im using the march 10-60, nf 12-42 br, Leupold 45x, and just purchased the nf 15-55.
Have not mounted the 15-55 yet but seems extremely clear.

I've felt that the Leupold 45x has the clearest image followed by the NF BR. The march I find disappointing. With all three set at similar magnification it is not near as clear as the others. Dark and fuzzy. It seems to be more sensitive to conditions such as mirage and low light. I wish I had spent the money on four Leupold 45x.......

Hope to mount and shoot the 55x soon.

Im using the march 10-60, nf 12-42 br, Leupold 45x, and just purchased the nf 15-55.
Have not mounted the 15-55 yet but seems extremely clear.

I've felt that the Leupold 45x has the clearest image followed by the NF BR. The march I find disappointing. With all three set at similar magnification it is not near as clear as the others. Dark and fuzzy. It seems to be more sensitive to conditions such as mirage and low light. I wish I had spent the money on four Leupold 45x.......

Hope to mount and shoot the 55x soon.

How do you like the 15-55 compared to the others?

Back