New Member introduction with a rest question

mrspradlin

Graham Wind Flags
Hello everyone. New member here and have been skimming a lot of the older threads trying to learn a little bit at a time.
A little bit about my current set-up. I am running a one piece rest made by Wally Brownlee. My rifle is a CZ452 wearing a benchmark barrel sporting a harrel tunner, trigger pull of about 2 ounces and wearing a Don Stith stock. It was built by a gunsmith by the name of Bill Martin. It shoots better then I can and was in my start up budget.

But I do have one question on rest. I was wondering why some shooters will have a chain and spring or a bungie cord attached to the trigger guard and the front section of there one piece rests? I know it returns the rifle to where it needs to be but does it do anything else? Also how tight does one keep this device?

Thanks
Matt

fred

can you explain this theory a little bit i have never seen it.

thanks

bob

I put just enough tension on the bungee so that it does not slam into the forearm stop on recoil. I do not let anything come in contact with the stock on recoil. No thumb behind the trigger guard. Now that I have you completly confused welcome to benchrest central.

MWW

The late Bill Myers discouraged the use of bungee cords, particularly on non wood stocks. He said it would impart stress and uncontrolled vibrations that can and will affect the rifles performance. I tested his theory and it had merit.

That said, I do use a bungee cord on my one piece rest. It is not so tight as to return the rifle completely to battery, but without the bungee the rifle might well recoil right off the rest....it moves that smoothly.

Attach a bungee, pull the rifle up tight against the front stop and shoot a card. Then back off or remove the bungee and see how the rifle performs. That will help you decide if a bungee helps or hurts you. One other point; in the weight classes of IR50 bungee cord attachment are illegal. Merry Christmas. bob

Ahhh now I am starting to get it. So inside a nut shell (this guys skull) you basically are wanting very very very little friction between the stock and the rest. By adding the tension device either a bungie or chain and spring you should be keeping the recoil amount the same. So I take it step one for me would be to fine tune my rest and the finish on my stock so I have very minimal friction between the two then move on to the tension device thingamajiggy.
So the next question would be.
Would a single point of pull IE attatching one end to the trigger guard and one end to the rest work better then running a bungie from the rest thru the guard and back to the rest?

Sorry for the questions just one of thoses little things I find interesting.

Matt

Ahhh now I am starting to get it. So inside a nut shell (this guys skull) you basically are wanting very very very little friction between the stock and the rest. By adding the tension device either a bungie or chain and spring you should be keeping the recoil amount the same. So I take it step one for me would be to fine tune my rest and the finish on my stock so I have very minimal friction between the two then move on to the tension device thingamajiggy.

You do want some friction between the front rest and fore-end and I'm not the one to speak regarding that, but stock-wise you want the rifle to glide on the bags. No skipping, jumping or catching. Some friction- yes- but you want that stock to recoil dead straight in the bags and as smoothly as possible.

I have a factory barreled suhl and with a tuner made it a little nose heavy. using a pappas rest the butt would jump a little causing the shot to go low. I mounted a spring on mine to keep the back end down.

well i have a pappas rest just wondering bob finger can you help me out here? a picture would be great

bob

Bob: Sorry I don't know what you might need help with. If you feel you need help my suggestion is call James Pappas and direct your question(s) to him. No one knows his products better than he. bob

I think it really helps control the torque that is exerted on the rifle by the bullet going through the barrel. It keeps the bottom of the fore end flat on the rest top and not canting in recoil. It also helps with consistent recoil. My rifle will definately shoot better with very little fore end tension on the rest top and t he recoil spring keeps it from recoiling too far.

John M. Carper

Interesting. RF really is different than CF. IIRC, that setup wold be illegal in "unlimited" CF.

BTW, why not just build a 70-pound rifle for unlimited? Solves all kinds of problems.

Charles E,
There are more problems from a rifle that is too heavy than carrying it.

John M. Carper

There are more problems from a rifle that is too heavy than carrying it.

I have a lot of experience with heavy rifles. Yeah, I know, RF is different. It would be useful if people would report failures, too. A lot to learn from failures, particularly if there is enough detail to separate the fly specks from the pepper.

Wish I could find that PS article where the guy did RF ammunition tests using a heavy .22. Back in the late '90s or probably early 2000s. IIRC correctly, he was maybe doing work for Lapua? Big, heavy rifle. J-tex treated barrel (which seems odd). Also wish I could build one that shot as well as that one. Given his results, bet you do too.

Which reminds me, anyone tried the melonite treatment with RF barrels? Maybe Butch?

Anyway, that testing won't be done by me next year, I've committed my play money. Setting up a heavy 1,000 yard rifle on a smaller .338 chambering.

Back