New Member Here

nortatoga

Going to my frist rimfire benchrest shoot tonight at the Pine Tree Rifle Club in Johnstown NY, hope I don't embarrass myself to much. I'll be shooting a 1930 winchester 52 that was rebarreled by Arthur Hubalek (Anyone with info about Mr Hubalek would be great i've had some good luck on some other sites ) Shoot Wolf TM started out not so good but 3/4 of the way though the frist box groups got real tight! Talking to some of guys last week at the match they say thats the way Wolf is and not to clean the bore but this sat/sunday I was not shooting to well I'm thinking I should run a patch or two thought it! ANYONE WISHING ME LUCK THANKS IN ADVANCE JAMIE

Jamie
Don't worry about being embarressed, go have fun and learn from the others. Ask questions, thats the only way to learn. Keepum in the Centers! Fiddler

RF is a WONDERFULLY FRUSTRATING game. I'm hoping to get my first match in this summer also (Hear that DAVE I'm comming fer ya).

Nortatoga, I would like to hear more on this rimfire benchrest match. We have a range in Salem and we hold rimfire matches on wed nights and IR 50/50 matches on some sundays and there are several ranges in syracuse that have numerous shooters also that would like to hear more.

Well I'd tell you, you have a great piece of rifle history there friend, Hubalek built some of the finest of his era. What are you shooting for targets there?

Just got in from my frist rimfire benchrest match at Pine Tree Rifle Club had good time shot a 240/3x's!! As for info FredB the match is for members ( I am joining this month my reg club is sara spa in greenfield) starts in May for 18 weeks you need to shoot at least 10 matchs (mondays starting at 6) There is a website which could give you more info. I'm new to this club 2'nd time there tonight Have a good night Jamie

Hi there Tim you posted while I was replying to FredB (it takes awhile HUNTANPECK) The target were IBS 50 Yards Time for me to hiy the hay 4am comes pretty quick Good night Jamie

Hello from Cullman Alabama
New to this forum

Thought this would be an appropriate topic since Jamie, and I are shooting the Win 52, albeit mine a "D". Many years ago my first competition was at the U of A rifle team. Joe Willie and I were both freshmen. I can still remember "The Sarge" and "The Colonel" and also how elated I was to receive my own coat and rifle, a 52 D. My guess they thought, if he wants to shoot this much, we can put him on the 3rd string (not Joe). Time goes by fast and after stints with BE pistol, hunting and lastly stock car racing I nearly succumbed to a disease called "farmers lung" and now 5 years later my recovery is within sight, hence my bucket list. My wife surprised me with a US 52 D 3 years ago with matching numbers. So I began shooting from the bench, although at that time difficult, and out the kitchen window, 50 then 100 yds. (What a wife). Didnt do well. 4" to 5" then narrowed last year after mayo Clinic to 2.5" mostly. then to prone on bags, still 2.5"

Ordered a custom stock from Alex Sitman @ master Class and after a 6 mo wait or so, a spectacular specimen arrived (not awsome). Alex is a true craftsman and I recommend his work. The bedding did not help, still 2.5". So I found a smith in LA that agreed to rechamber the barrel. Slugged 0.2220. Good well 6 mo later I received the 52 back. That was 2 mos ago. Then the tornado came, much damage. Rifles, rev and pistols in safe. When I fed the first round I knew it wouldnt shoot. Dropped in => 4" at 100. Worse, looks better. I still remember how the 52 fed from UA 50 yrs ago.

More calls. DL suggested smith #1. #1 and #2 did not return my calls. One barrel maker did not know what a 52 d was (No Norman it is not the ... size). Jim Pierce (chambered my 308) does not 22RF. A local BR shooter only does XP 100s and only CF. The list grew to 9, "I'm sorry". Found a Shilen 52 D profile at Brunos and Krieger has a 8 groove in stock. I have a lathe, BL #1, but a match grade chamber is not for the faint of heart and would take me 6 mos. PTG has floating reamers in stock. Jim says meyers.
After reading this forum for the last 3 years, signed on. So if anyone out there knows someone that knows someone that can match chamber a dropshipped barrel then please email me. I have a wooden crate and can ship tomorrow.

My new truck is having a tree limb removed in late August and then it can travel and i can still use the window.

My best and thanks

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from Cullman Alabama
New to this forum

Thought this would be an appropriate topic since Jamie, and I are shooting the Win 52, albeit mine a "D". Many years ago my first competition was at the U of A rifle team. Joe Willie and I were both freshmen. I can still remember "The Sarge" and "The Colonel" and also how elated I was to receive my own coat and rifle, a 52 D. My guess they thought, if he wants to shoot this much, we can put him on the 3rd string (not Joe). Time goes by fast and after stints with BE pistol, hunting and lastly stock car racing I nearly succumbed to a disease called "farmers lung" and now 5 years later my recovery is within sight, hence my bucket list. My wife surprised me with a US 52 D 3 years ago with matching numbers. So I began shooting from the bench, although at that time difficult, and out the kitchen window, 50 then 100 yds. (What a wife). Didnt do well. 4" to 5" then narrowed last year after mayo Clinic to 2.5" mostly. then to prone on bags, still 2.5"

Ordered a custom stock from Alex Sitman @ master Class and after a 6 mo wait or so, a spectacular specimen arrived (not awsome). Alex is a true craftsman and I recommend his work. The bedding did not help, still 2.5". So I found a smith in LA that agreed to rechamber the barrel. Slugged 0.2220. Good well 6 mo later I received the 52 back. That was 2 mos ago. Then the tornado came, much damage. Rifles, rev and pistols in safe. When I fed the first round I knew it wouldnt shoot. Dropped in => 4" at 100. Worse, looks better. I still remember how the 52 fed from UA 50 yrs ago.

More calls. DL suggested smith #1. #1 and #2 did not return my calls. One barrel maker did not know what a 52 d was (No Norman it is not the ... size). Jim Pierce (chambered my 308) does not 22RF. A local BR shooter only does XP 100s and only CF. The list grew to 9, "I'm sorry". Found a Shilen 52 D profile at Brunos and Krieger has a 8 groove in stock. I have a lathe, BL #1, but a match grade chamber is not for the faint of heart and would take me 6 mos. PTG has floating reamers in stock. Jim says meyers.
After reading this forum for the last 3 years, signed on. So if anyone out there knows someone that knows someone that can match chamber a dropshipped barrel then please email me. I have a wooden crate and can ship tomorrow.

My new truck is having a tree limb removed in late August and then it can travel and i can still use the window.

My best and thanks

Mike
Mike-sent you a PM. Barry

Back