New Hornady 208s?

a.JR

Hi All ,Anybody had any good results at 1K bench with the New Hornady 208 BTHPs???...JR.. Jeff Rogers

Hi Jeff,

David Hodges is having initial success, using a case with similar capacity to yours. He won at least one match in July (our last matches).

I don't know exactly what, if anything, he is doing to/with them -- David is a machinist par excellant, and has been known to make & install tips, but I don't think he did that with the Hornadys

Have you tried the Berger 30-caliber, 185-grain Hybrid? I'm having initial success with the 300 grain Hybrid in .338.

Hi Charles , If you have any success with getting a batch no from him ,i would be forever in your debt.. We have had very little success with the lots sent over here so far , something positive to look forward too would be great .. It would be super to get a factory bullet thats worth while sorting as the big company's that import them can keep the prices down .. The Bergers over here end up over 80 cents each and we are not batting a very good average with them either .. All in all it just gets harder each year to come up with something that you can call a keeper lot.. About the best i can expect is about 11 months wait each time i get a batch of BIBs.. You guys a lucky..JR.. Jeff Rogers

Just to keep things in perspective Jeff, an 11 month wait time is about par here for BIBs, too -- unless one remembers that R.G. tends to make them up in November-December. If you can get your order in before the end of October, you get them pretty quick. Otherwise, you wait.

For all I know, the Hornadys David Hodges was shooting were straight out of the box. I will ask him & report.

Charles

Hi Charles , Yes i'm aware of when Randy makes the 187 lots ,but it's up to 11 mths after that that i have waited to finally get them here .. We maybe have a new shipping set up that will reduce that by a fair margin .. Some rifle cases are on the way now , be interesting to see how long it takes .. Fingers crossed .. Sending PM on Hornady's .. JR.. Jeff Rogers

Hey Charlies, I have been shooting the 225 Hornady BTHP,s. Joe Thielen @ Hornady has been testing the 208's and 225's in there tunnel with very positive results. They have shoot well for me but are .0004" to .0005" bigger on the bearing surface than the JLK's and Bergers I have been shooting. It has been causing me some problems because my freebore is a little tight. I hope to have this problem solved by the next match and be able to shoot the 225's. I will also be trying the 208's soon. I think Joe, Lonnie and the guys at Hornady have a good bullet and we need to put them to the test.

"It has been causing me some problems because my freebore is a little tight."

Pacific Precision reamer? Tks --Greg

Hi All , Well to say that i'm disappointed in the AUST agent for Hornady is an understatement .. We contacted the Hornady people in the US to tell them that the batch of 1000 x 208 BTHP bullets were substandard and they agreed that differences we were measuring were not normal .. The said they would make sure we got replacements and then some , but this is not now going the happen .. The reason is that a majority of the bullets were removed from the original boxes and batching started with a good percentage already meplated and they said in Australia if they were meplated they would not replace them now .. Now out of the 1000bullets we had 32thou spread in bullet AOL, 15 thou difference in Base to Ogive , 17 thou difference Bearing Surface and weight spread was .6 of a grain .. Biggest problem was that to get them to a thou or less you ended up with packets of such small amounts it was hard to get enough the same even for a single match .. Now that they won't replace them because of the meplating ,were stuck with competition bullets that i personally would reject for hunting purposes they are that bad.. Anyway it will be a long time before i ever consider Hornady again ..JR..Jeff Rogers

Back