New guy with new rifle questions dies, brass, necks etc

Oh, ... I forgot this.... the FIRST most important piece of your equipment: wind flags.

Again, don't get too hung up on which ones. Single vane or double, daisy wheels, pinwheel propellors, or not, surveyor tape, sail tails, a custom braided yarn of yak feathers and synthetic spider silk. All these will work and your own wind gods will still tiptoe between the flags and make your bullets look drunk.

The standard is the Smiley Hensley flag -- large single vane with a daisy wheel. Very prevalent back east, not quite so much here in the mountain west. At a Nationals where you share flags, about 80% will be Smiley's or knock-offs.

I'm cheap. Made my own. Based on a style used by another top shooter, Mike Ratigan. 4"x17" piece of plastic sign material with a corner nipped off -- $10 at the big box store gets you two blank white garage sale signs... enough for 8-10 flag tops. Two cans of paint, some 1/8" welding rod for pins, make a 1/4-20 adapter to mount them, tripod light stands available via eBay. No ball bearings or whirligigs necessary though I have found a pinch of magic reindeer dust to be helpful in Midland Texas and Porcupine South Dakota. (and completely useless at Raton, Phoenix, and St Louis). This just confirms that there are many wind gods and some have home ranges, while others seem to follow a shooter like his own conscience.

Hey Rodney, you forgot the part where if you suddenly decide to run a hot load of LT-32 you should prep and bring more brass than you thing you will need. Ha ha . You should save those words for every new shooter to read they are great.

MAC

The above post by Cub Cooper could easily be considered a condensed version of any book concerning 100/200 yard benchrest shooting.

Bucky's neck dia.

I'm sorry for the lack of reply, I had a good friend pass away.

I have not received the rifle as of yet, the seller said no neck diameter if stamped on the barrel, however seller said Gene Buckys is the gunsmith.

I'm going to try to edit mt location in the profile settings asap, also thank each of you for the information I'm going over it, and over it.

Thanks, Clint

I would almost bet, the neck is .262 (but can't be sure.. As Dusty said,, you may wanna give Gene a call, He'll more than likely remember the rifle, and I'm sure he keeps records.
I think you probably have a great gun and definitely a good smith.. the rifle will probably make you want to go to a match (depending on barrel)
Definitely let Wilbur help if you can meet some whurs.. He claims to be simple but is really an (Einstein in plaid and blue jeans)

Back