new guy on here with a few questions

V

va78

Im new to competitive shooting and could use some help with learning how to reload and do propper case prep. I live in rockbridge county va if there is anyone willing to teach me i would be greatfull.

I have two suggestions. Go to a match of the type that you plan on competing in, observe, and ask questions. I think that you will find that you get a lot of help. Secondly, if you want some specific information on this board, give us a little more to go on. I am sure that you will get a lot of useful information. Welcome

I would like to try FTR all I have is a long action to use for my build. Unless I can get the .308 to feed in my magazine. All I have at the moment is a hood press I'm trying to collect what I need slowly.

Perhaps it skipped your notice that there is a forum for F-class?

http://benchrest.com/forumdisplay.php?18-F-Class

Reason I bring that up is I've shot benchrest for 20+ years, but have never shot F-class. Seen a couple, that's all. Not alone in that on BR Central, by the way. My (our) advice wouldn't be worth much...

As a part of slowly collecting what you need, follow Boyd's advice. You'll have plenty of time to go to some matches, and that will let you collect the important stuff -- and sell off the stuff you don't need, like the Hood press.

Listen to Boyd and Charles.
Just go to a match. Just start talking to anyone.
Bring your safety glasses and hearing protection.
Next thing ya know someone sticks a firearm in your hands and says sit down. Just do it.
Don't worry about taking up their time or the cost of ammo. If ya don't sit down and shoot. They might get mad.

I finally talked a friend from work, to come out, to the range. And his wife let him.....
We shoot some plates.
CF plates every other Sat. in Monroe RPC.
Then go to the 200y. range. Shoot some AR. He's got a new Ruger. Wow.
I says, so how long till ya gotta go. Iffy answer.
I says okay. At noon his phone is buzzing. He's gotta go.
I said you can't go till you finish that box. Boy, did he a have a big grin. Text the wife.....
The gate is locked. And Tim won't let me out till I finish this box of ammo. He left 2 hours later....

What's wrong with the hood press? It works great.

Since I shoot short range BR I'm not sure what type of presses are used by the competitors loading for FTR, so while the Hood press may work I would talk to people shooting and loading for FTR and find out what works and what doesn't that way you can buy equipment suitable for loading for FTR.

I heard a saying once you spend the first couple of years in BR buying every device to help you win and the rest of your shooting career trying to sell the things you don't need. ........Ian

What's wrong with the hood press? It works great.

Nothing wrong with a Hood press for a lot of things. But I have yet to see any F-class shooters load at a match. Or highpower generally, for that matter. The Hood press costs (& so can be resold) for a lot. A less-than-$100 press is just as good, except for size, & hence portability.

A Hood press probably isn't something I'd use for heavy case reforming...

Edit:

Ian's right. & BTW, anybody want to buy a Sinclair bullet depth checking gauge?

Last edited:
I would like to try FTR all I have is a long action to use for my build. Unless I can get the .308 to feed in my magazine. All I have at the moment is a hood press I'm trying to collect what I need slowly.

Feeding through the magazine is not a consideration in F-Class either F-open or F/TR. All rounds must be fired single shot so you would need to single load all ammo into the rifle.

Roland

Back