New Gun

glp

I'm thinking about building a F class gun..not F/TR. I have a nice old Polar action just sitting around and I can't think of a better use for it.

I'm thinking about a Sheehane stock because he can allow for the extra width of the action. I would appreciate any comments from actual shooters regarding the following:

Stock dimensions and weight
Barrel length and taper
The longest range in my area is 600 yds. Am thinking about a 6BR throated for +- 100 gr bullets. Should I be considering other calibers, like a match grade .308 or 06?
Scope preferences?

In other words, if you had to do it all over again and build your ideal F class rifle(ignore my action choice) what would its config be? Thanks --Greg

If you are not building an F/TR rig I would not go with the 308 and if I was restricted to 600 yards I think the 6mm BR might be the best choice given its great accuracy, if there is a chance you might have a possibility of shooting beyond 600 occasionally take a look at the Dasher

wade

6BR to 500yds and 6 Dasher for anything beyond. Stock? Whatever feels right.
Bartlein or Kreiger barrel, straight 1.250" or finish at 1.00", 28"-30" long. An 8 twist will let you shoot all but the 115s.
Tough to beat the value in a Nightforce.

Back