New Grizzly 16x40 "Gunsmithing" Lathe First Impressions

cl5man

A few weeks ago I had to make a decision. I've got an older Southbend 13" that I've been using part time at the Gunsmithing business. I was getting tired of working around it's short comings and decided I needed to either get the Southbend rebuilt or buy a new import. I opted for the Grizzly G0509G along with treating myself to all new Dorian tooling, including a new CXA tool post. First things first, I've had the Phase 2 quick change on the Southbend since I purchased it 10 years ago. I've never used a quick-change tool post and was somewhat impressed with the Phase 2. The Dorian is leaps and bounds ahead of the import. The smooth operation and solidness of the whole set-up was worth every cent. Spent about $3k on the tooling and gotta say it again, Dorian makes a first class setup.

Now to the lathe. First impression was somewhat worrisome as the pallet was broken and the lathe was riding for who knows how long cocked to one side. Luckily nothing was damaged, just a rough road somewhere between Arizona and wherever Grizzly is. Got it home and set up and realized this thing is massive compared to my Southbend. Grizzly says it weighs 3k pounds which is twice as heavy as the 13". I used the same static converter that powered up my old lathe and it worked perfect on both speeds. Fit and finish were decent, but not great. The paint seems pretty tough but the actual paint job isn't what I would call first class. There was oil covering the bottom of the chip pan, I can see the carriage is leaking already. The chucks are, well import chucks. Seem heavy enough for it but not nearly as smooth as the older Southbend chucks im used to using. The carriage, cross, and compound feeds are fairly smooth. A little backlash but a third of what the old lathe had. The brake is a nice feature which I'll need to incorporate into my routines in the near future. The gears are somewhat hard to get in that perfect spot to actually engage. Again I'm used to belts, another area I'll figure out in time. Has a great slow speed of I believe about 40 RPM and the max is right around 1900. The coolant system works great but does make somewhat of a mess. My first project was making a draw bar type collet closer for a friend of mine. Impressive cutting power on this puppy. A .200 cut on mild steel and this thing barely grunts. I'm assuming the new tooling has alot to do with this but still impressive compared to the Southbend. After letting it sit for a few days after initial leveling the headstock end has settled in a bit, I'll re level it and let it sit for a few more days. My first action/barrel job is scheduled for next week. I've always chambered between centers so it'll be a new process for me to actually go through the headstock. I have no doubts this thing will work perfect.

Besides the little things like the leaks, the crappy masking job at the factory, the carriage lock that I had to "fix" on the Bridgeport and the spider cover on the headstock end that won't close tightly because the closing bolts don't line up, I'm happy with the purchase. It's an $8k import lathe, so going in I knew i wasn't gona receive a new Monarch. Hopefully it'll last me till I retire. So I've got an old Southbend 13" with tons of accessories if anybody's interested??

My 3 year old g0509 Grizzly also leaks. The quick change gearbox is what is leaking. It only leaks till the level is below the sight glass then stops. I've talked to grizzly quite a few times and they make out their report then nothing. I just quit filling it and it stopped leaking and so far nothing seems to be wearing out because of lack of oil. Your new model is heavier and lower low speed so I thing you will love it. I don't have a static convertor so have some vibration but can live with it. Wayne

Sorry about the wrong information, my lathe is an G0709. About 1/2 the machine a G0509 is.

Last edited:
I like mine just fine. No leaks for me!!! The only real thing i had to get used too was the size difference of this big Grizzly compared to my little Jet. The Grizz is a monster.
I had to make some special tooling, so that i could chamber these short little ppc barrels. Not a problem though!
We power our lathe and Mill with a 15HP roto phase unit. No loss of power doing it this way. My machine cuts very nice threads, and the headstock bearings are tops!! I chambered a barrel just today, that had absolutly No indicated runout showing on my Grizzly made .0001 test indicator. "My first perfect barrel by the way" They all are always pretty close, but never had i had one show zero runout. .0002 to .0003 is the norm. Im really happy with this unit and if i had any B****, it would be changing out the chucks. I dont realy like the d1-6 hookup as i feel it is a bit overkill, and the chucks are heavy.
Grizzly is supposed to be coming out with a new SB heavy 10 copy next year, and i will be looking at one just to do barrels on. Depending on price of course. Lee

I like mine just fine. No leaks for me!!! The only real thing i had to get used too was the size difference of this big Grizzly compared to my little Jet. The Grizz is a monster.
I had to make some special tooling, so that i could chamber these short little ppc barrels. Not a problem though!
We power our lathe and Mill with a 15HP roto phase unit. No loss of power doing it this way. My machine cuts very nice threads, and the headstock bearings are tops!! I chambered a barrel just today, that had absolutly No indicated runout showing on my Grizzly made .0001 test indicator. "My first perfect barrel by the way" They all are always pretty close, but never had i had one show zero runout. .0002 to .0003 is the norm. Im really happy with this unit and if i had any B****, it would be changing out the chucks. I dont realy like the d1-6 hookup as i feel it is a bit overkill, and the chucks are heavy.
Grizzly is supposed to be coming out with a new SB heavy 10 copy next year, and i will be looking at one just to do barrels on. Depending on price of course. Lee

Lee I have 3 lathes that are D1-6, one of the ones at work I change the chuck on quite often..........must say that the 12" 4 jaw and 10" 6 jaw are pretty heavy but still manageable.

Does anyone use a Hardinge HLV for chambering barrels? Ian

Ian
To be real honest, the weight isnt the main reason i dont care for the D1-6. The main reason would be the difficulty of trying to get the chucks on straight. What i ended up doing was removing half of the locking pegs, and only using 3. Much easier to mount the chucks true this way. At least for me. Lee

I use a http://skyhookcrane.com/index.html to change chucks on D1-6 at work, mounts on toolpost. Makes life easier. I have a spider and cathead for the Hardinge HLV and do chamber with it, but hot fo larger diameters. You need to remove the collet pin and closer for max capacity.
View attachment 14123View attachment 14124

I like the idea of one of those skyhook cranes to change the chuck on a D1-6, you say it mounts on the toolpost, have you got any pictures of this setup.
There are a few things I like about the Hardinge HLV for doing standard BR barrels, the retracting topslide and the dog clutch on the leadscrew, I bought a HLV some 14 years or so ago and have been sourcing replacement parts and rebuilding it for quite a bit of that time........it's hard to find good replacement parts for an early HLV........Ian

Back