New F/TR .308

G

GLENN L

I want to put a F/TR .308 together and was going to use my Surgeon 581 with a Brux hvy. Palma or a #17. I was looking at the A3 McMillian stock and have a NF NXS 8-32. Any input or thoughts?

Thanks Glenn

Glenn
Barrel needs to be heavy and at least 30 inches long. Palma profile might be a bit whimpy. Look for a stock a bit longer than the A3 and keep in mind the all-up weight of 18lb. 2oz - a Nightforce with rings will weigh 2.5 lb. and a decent bi-pod will weigh at least 2 lb.
Cheers
Vince (UK)

As Vince said, you need two things to start with....30" Bull barrel and a scale, I learned and built my current Rem. 700 .223 Rem & .308 Win. the same way after one I had built came in too heavy per the NRA Rules.

I've gave up on trying to use a Night Force 12-42x56 BR just due to the weight, I have Leupold 20-50x50 LRT on both F/TR Rifles, my next choice would be a 10-50 Sightron w/ 1/8 moa adjustments.

Glenn - The Surgeon action would be a fine platform to build an F/TR rig from, no worries there. Likewise your NXS should work just fine too.

I'm not a fan of extra long barrels, especially when one is not limited to a particular bullet like the old Sierra Palma 155 (#2155) which was only adaquate for 1,000 yard use and the reason longer barrels came into fashion in the first place, to eke out a few more FPS to stay supersonic to 1,000. I have no difficulty at all reaching 1,000 with the 155 Scenars or 155.5 Bergers with a 26" or 28" barrel. I also use medium Palma taper for my two F/TR rifles (.223 and .308) and they hold up fine through a 15 or 20 round string. The other things about the heavier barrels is the weight has to be taken into account for a weight limited class, the balance of the rifle may be a little fore end heavy for most some stocks, and they cost more once you get past 26".

Nothing wrong with your stock choice, personally I prefer a dressed out A-5 (fore end rail, adjustable cheek piece, 3-way butt plate) but that's just me. I would certainly recommend getting behind whatever stock(s) you are looking at before you drop the money on one to see if you like the feel.

I went with the A5 dressed out. The Brux hvy. Palma @28" a Jewell and the NXS. Talked to Stephen at Surgoen he told me to send my 581 in and they will upgrade it to the new bolt.
I may try the 175 SMKs. Just need to wait on the Brux and McMillian.

Thanks Glenn

Back