New bullet making Thread

Gerry's right just as needed if your pointing alot of bullets lube will just migrate up through ejection pin hole as long as theres not an extreme amount i wouldn't worry about it much.a word of caution never use anything like butch's or sweets in die i had someone do this and it wasn't pretty, ammonia will leach the cobalt out of carbide fairly quick.brake clean and qtips works great. george

Thanks for the info GerryM and George, I will get some break clean and qtips to keep on hand.. I was thinking about using Gun Scubber, but not now..

thx again

Guys, What are most of you using to measure your base to Ogive length? I am using a bullet sorter from Sinclair. How much variance is should I be trying to keep them in?
thx

Joe, I too am using that same type of nut from Sinclair, it is real hard to get the same reading twice because of the slop in the nut. But, as with everything being consistant with the amout of pressure used on the calipers makes it pretty much the same, I like my base to ogive dimension to be all the same. I don't know what is acceptable.

Dan

Last edited:
I'm sure that question on measuring was asked before. Dan your correct on getting a good reading
If a small chamfer was put on the die it may be more accurate. Usually the nut is just a hole and the end is very sharp. As you try to measure you make the jacket dig into the nut. . It can be tough at times but the best way is by feel. You get a feel on the press handle when every thing is running right, Trust it . Watch your lube.
When everything is running smooth you can actually feel the bullet point up and stop. When the dies are adjusted correctly the ogives should be very close. I think where this make a differance in in jumping the bullet rather then seating into the lands. The rifle doesn't know if your .010 in or .009 in or .011 in. Usually the pressure is pretty close. Right now my best shooter likes to jump at least .020.

Last edited:
I Just received a new set of Dies from David Detsch. They are really slick.
These are a 10 ogive with the BT core seater that give a 10 degree Bt . The dies are extra long so i can now make 105 Bt bullets . . My next purchase will be a really heavy duty press for the 30 cals I'm considering a new BT core seater and bottom punch in 30 cal next. I know the dies are deep enough for a 150 Fb. I also know it's going to need way more swaging pressure to make it easy on my arms. I'm waiting to see what comes up in the way of presses.

Can someone give me some information about Larry Blackmon? I ordered a .224 dies set one year ago, e-mailed him, but no response. He changed the adress or is out of business?

Back