new build asking if better choices

C

chuck3721

ok i'm thinking of building it with the 40x action so here it is and tell me if there are better brands or if u think that i made a bad choice tell me what u guys would do different or anything

Action predator 25x http://viperactions.com/
Stock Modified 40x mcmillan http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-competition-stock-list.php?subnav=branch4a
barrel Benchmark 6 groove 1-16 twist
Trigger jewell trigger
Scope thinking between the weaver t-36 or the leopold 40x
and for rimfire do ppl froze the scope and get the mounting stuff??

Gun smith not sure yet thanks for all the help plz help point me in the right way

Your most important question is the one you implied in your last sentence. Which gunsmith? There are seveal excellent ones and when you find one let them suggest to you what they have used that they like. I agree with the change in stock. The one you selected was not a BR stock. The Edge stock that was mentioned to you, is a good one.

If you are building a 40X, the gunsmith that is probably most identified with building great 40Xs is Gene Davis. but there are others that have built great shooting 40xs too. Go to some local matches, look and listen and ask people who are shooting well, "Who built your rifle". They'll tell you. Don't rush into making decisions from just what you read here or anywhere. Go to a couple matches; look, ask and listen.

I see where you are looking for lots of help in making some very important decisions. Really, the best one to ask is the gunsmith you select. And please use an experienced benchrest gunsmith. You may be able to assemble the components, cut a chamber and crown a barrel and bolt everything together, but there is more to it then just bolting together some very expensive components. If you can find an experienced BR gunsmith that is somewhat local to you, this would be ideal.

What Bill said, twice!! Isn't the Viper a centerfire action?

Ken

Ken the 25x is an action Stiller has drawn up but has had no time to produce, he has to many centerfires to make.

As I understand it, the hang up is extractors that were planned to be sourced from Remington and they don't have them. They will now have to be produced which has caused a delay.

the 2008 ARA nationals equipment list is a good reference as to
most popular and winning actions,triggers, stocks, barrels,scopes,ammo and gunsmiths...
go to home page and click on ARA logo

note to self....square pegs don't make round holes:)

ok so i thinking going to go with the mcmillan edge stock because it is going to be a benchrest gun i just like the mod 40x stock they like lol but i want performance over looks but still look nice and the barrel going with 3 groves instead of the 6 but not sure what is the best like for accurate was thinking 24in and is there a better action or is the predator 25x action a really good one its a 40x clone action seeing if there are better 40x clone actions out there thanks for the help

Don't worry about the barrel length, let the smith determind that.
Fred K

help

chuck

sounds like the money doenst scare you. you are making some importatnt dicisiions here. might i suggest you p/m fred j and get his advice privately there are some others here also. i trust what they say.

go over to ara and the 2009 equipment list. for 40x brian voelker does his own smithing and most of his stuff is stock for 40x . yolu will find a lot of the smiths are also champion shooters.

everyone of these people are extemly nice guys and free with their advice for the most part.

good luck

bob

Back