New bolt & headspacing

Koginam,

I've fired many rifles with excess headspace. There is no "increased recoil" that I've ever noticed and I know of no mechanism for such. I have no good way to empirically measure recoil but it's easy to compute. I've never found reason to measure felt recoil so I don't have a method set up. If reason were provided, I could whip up a simple recoil sled in short order, this would suffice for an experiment as simple as measuring whether or not increased headspace could break a rifle stock. Without a reason though, it's a waste of time.

If you believe that excess headspace was the root of the problems with the aforementioned rifles than I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise but until you can explain HOW too much headspace can do other than DECREASE recoil I'll have to stick by my original posts. THERE IS NO MECHANISM.

I started Gunsmithing School in 1981 at Pine Technical Institute in MN, Charter Member. Headspace was treated as a really major deal. In fact a local gunsmith used to chamber rifles using brass cartridge cases and I used to argue with him about it, citing all sorts of mysterious "problems" and arguing that gauging was the only way to go. I thought he was a hacker, headed for problems....... I didn't know what I was talking about. "Credentials" no longer impress me, only facts and explanations. A LOT of what I learned in schools has since proven to be misguided. In fact, a LOT of what I learned in schools had its root in making things more mysterious than they really are.

I've since made many "wildcats", formed and reformed brass from all sorts and shapes of cases, experimented with necking down and up. I've reset shoulders and necks, blown cases out and reshaped angles and reset clearances for many different cartridges. In the course of this experimentation I've spent a lot of time trying to establish WHY some cartridges shoot better than others and HOW to make brass cases last for many reloadings at high pressure. I've purposely increased headspace to as much as ten thousandths for various experiments, most of them involving fireforming.

IMO the only danger pertaining to excess headspace is the possibility of case head separation. BUT...... head separation of unfired new brass is extremely unlikely. And if the OP will take the time to check the headspace as described the possibility falls to near zero. Old and brittle brass can separate on the first firing provided enough headspace is present. Fired brass can separate because it's been work-hardened by previous firing(s). Brass that's fired multiple times with excess headspace most certainly WILL separate, it's only a matter of time.

But in no case is there a reason for increased recoil. Recoil is governed by Newton's Third Law of Motion. It has nothing to do with cartridge case shape or configuration. Nothing you can do with headspace, shoulder angle or chamber dimensions can change Newton's Laws. The recoil impulse that hits you will always equal the energy of the ejecta, it has to. Unless someone can show me how increased headspace can result in increased recoil I simply cannot accept anecdotal evidence as "fact."

Please understand that there's no "gauntlet" involved....... I'm just trying to pass on accurate information.

I don't take safety implications lightly. I am a Hunter Safety Instructor licensed by the state of WA, which license is reciprocal to every state in the Union.

If you ask me to, I'll actually MEASURE recoil energy from zero headspace to 10 thousandths to the best of my ability. But I'd sure hate to waste the time unless someone can explain WHY :):) And it takes a substantial change in recoil to break a stock! LOGICALLY, just the difference between the impulse generated by the two calibers you referenced kinda' throws the idea into question doesn't it? Or are you implying that the magnum stock was somehow reinforced differently? I don't remember crossbolts on the mags. Or that due to headspace alone the 30-06 generated substantially more recoil than the 7mm Mag is capable of?

Is it possible that the cracked stocks AND the increased headspace were to result of serious overloads? Those old Parker Hales were probably Mauser or Mark X clones? The old Santa Barbara actions? Double-stepped headspacing or "armourers lugs?"

The 70's era was the heyday of uninformed reloaders trying to get every ft/sec out of their rifles.......

Trying to learn here.....

al

Bilateral lug engagement...

Jackie:

I'll bet if your Farley action did not have 60% bilateral lug engagement you would lap it. The Savage bolt heads are forged then machined. They are ususally with in .010". If you have them apart and will be adjusting the headspace anyway then lapp them and get them right. It can't do anything but improve things.
Rustystud

Parker Hale .. The old Santa Barbara actions - yes .

If you only had a problem with a few PH rifles from that lot you were very lucky. But in that case it was most likely simply a stock problem.

Glenn:D

Al,

Logic can take you only so far, and sometimes gives the wrong answer to an empirical problem. There is an interesting book by a Jerome Goopman, entitled How Doctor's Think. He relates the story of a Doctor who used logic to determine when to repair a malformed wall between between the left & right heart [chambers], based on the oxygen level of the blood pumped into the aorta (pp147-49). Turned out to be both logical and wrong.

In my case, I was a recording engineer in the early 1970s. There was a technical writer for Stereo magazine (Hirsh) who felt that transistor amplifiers were far superior to vacuum-tube amplifiers. He measured Total Harmonic Distortion across several models of both kinds, and the THD of the transistor amps was always lower. "THD is THD," he used to say. Tautological. But it turns out that when the use of an amp is to play music, THD is not so relevant. A typical transistor amp circuit of those days tended to overload with a third order harmonic. Very jarring. A vacuum tube amp overloaded with a second order harmonic -- not very bothersome. So he golden-ear crowd was right in a sense, because what was being measured wasn't the right thing to measure. (Typical transistor amplifier circuits for amps designed to play music have changed, so don't use this particular argument in the stereo store today -- though the "which is better" question is still open.)

Point is your recoil sled likely won't measure the right thing: it will measure total energy, which, we all agree, will be the same. That's not what splits stocks.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not taking either side on the recoil/stock splitting issue. What I am saying is that logic doesn't always give the "right" answer, nor does a test which turns out to measure something we're not interested in.

We did the inspection of the rifles only, I believe the Ammo was factory Remington and Winchester sold by J.C. Penny's as well. The stocks were all Walnut and did not appear to have any faults. We did the inspections at the request of J.C. Penney's attorney. I do know that J.C. Penny sent the damaged guns back to Parker Hale not to the distributor. And their was never a challenge made by Parker Hale as to our findings.
In my opinion and experience their is a difference in felt recoil, If you don't think so good for you. We obviously have different ideas on whats important to do on rifles I believe it important to lap the locking lugs and having correct headspace you don't, I'm sure their are many other things we would agree on as important for accuracy and safety.
I'm just an old gunsmith I don't know the MECHANISM of why their is more felt recoil with excessive headspace but I don't know the MECHANISM for how plants grow either but they do.
I do believe you are tying to pass on accurate information as you know it, I hope you believe I am also doing the same. We have different experiences and ways of doing smithing, I would not presume that I know everything and am willing to learn but I have a hard time going against my personal experience. My grandfather told me once if it looks like dog crap, smells like dog crap, feels like dog crap you don't need to taste it to know its dog crap.

Al
What are your thoughts on muzzlebrakes reducing recoil and broken wood stocks?
Lynn

As far as I know, a muzzle brake cannot save a stock. The recoil impulse which destroys the stock occurs before the muzzle brake can do anything.

Same with scopes.......... just because the clamshell on the BMG keeps the thing from plowing a hole through your shoulder does NOT mean that the recoil doesn't exist! That first 1/4inch is like being harnessed to a freight train.

So Charles,

re "How Doctors Think", have you watched the series "House?" :)

re the Golden Eared Audiophiles...... I'm a bit of a stereo/home theatre buff me'self, on the consumer side. This will be one of the ONLY instances of the GEA crowd being right! :D:D But even then, it IS logical in the end

Steenking audiophile snobs............$650.00 "cabling", $50,000.00 speakers, $10,000.00 amps ............. I've got some coathanger connecting a AA battery powered T-Amp to a pair of JBL car speakers that gets them all in trouble...And my under $7,000.00 home theater completely blows away systems costing 20 times as much. (Wellll,.... I guess I DID build the entire house around the isolated theater room with its free floating floor..... :D If you're an old stereo guy you'd love my library/theater. Books make a room nearly as neutral as tons of ugly foam.....)

koginam,

I'm sure that your Grampa gave you good advice.

al

So Charles,

re "How Doctors Think", have you watched the series "House?" :)

Yes. he doesn't think, he has epiphanies.

Steenking audiophile snobs............$650.00 "cabling", $50,000.00 speakers, $10,000.00 amps ............. I've got some coathanger connecting a AA battery powered T-Amp to a pair of JBL car speakers that gets them all in trouble...And my under $7,000.00 home theater completely blows away systems costing 20 times as much. (Wellll,.... I guess I DID build the entire house around the isolated theater room with its free floating floor..... :D If you're an old stereo guy you'd love my library/theater. Books make a room nearly as neutral as tons of ugly foam.....)

Al, if you want a dead room, you might as well use headphones. A balanced room is a plus. No foam for me.

For what it is worth, I drive Magnaplaners with an Odyssey Stratos. Reasonably cheap, under $3,000. Not so good for Rock & Roll, but if you like jazz & classical . . .

Alinwa
To this day I don't know what dog crap tastes like. So yeah it seem pretty good to me.

Yes. he doesn't think, he has epiphanies.

Al, if you want a dead room, you might as well use headphones. A balanced room is a plus. No foam for me.

For what it is worth, I drive Magnaplaners with an Odyssey Stratos. Reasonably cheap, under $3,000. Not so good for Rock & Roll, but if you like jazz & classical . . .

OOOoohhhhh Magnaplanars, you ARE an audiophile. Pure-dee lay back with your eyes closed stuff. The Stratos...... Sweetness! Frankly I'm a little surprised, I figgered you might be a tube-amp guy. I'm all about solid state, I got no soul A'tall :D and I'm not one to pine for the good ol' days. I just go with what sounds good TO ME.......In fact, one of my biggest musical finds of the last 3-4yrs is the Sonic T-Amp. CHEAP and clean, only two channels. If you're ever looking to power up a little area like maybe a reloading room or a garage....a work area no bigger than 25X25 ........ then you really need to find a T-Amp. For under 50 bucks this little toy will absolutely blow you away. Hook it up to some speakers, even GOOD speakers and be surprised. If you're able to listen to cd's, MP3's and typical mainline stuff I think you'll find the T-Amp to be a convenient way to get clean music into an environment, cheap.

You're right, I've gone a different route. 7 Paradigms on discreet channels, carefully measured and placed for distance and height with a couple of powered Martin Logan Dynamo's for the bass drivers. I push it all with Denon stuff. Everything is stealthed, the room is designed for proper spacing/dispersion, all doors and cabinets are velcro'd. Theater stuff. Cuddy and Cameron never looked so good. And House's guitar work....rooo-ahhhhhh.

LOL

al

Hijacked thread (beyond all repair)
I figgered you might be a tube-amp guy
Well, the Stratos sounds a bit better than the old McIntosh 275. That's my story. The fact that the cat knocked something off a shelf & broke one of the power tubes has nothing to do with it. You know what those suckers cost!!!???

And the little Audio Research amp did a nice job on the MMGs, but the 1.6s eat power like a .338 Lapua craves powder.

I don't put music in the shop. For me, both music & work take full attention. But it I did, it would be with a pair of those MMGs.

head space

I once seen a sav11 22250 nearly knock a 200 pound man off the bench due to a head space problem caused by a barrel that was broken in three places.

I once seen a sav11 22250 nearly knock a 200 pound man off the bench due to a head space problem caused by a barrel that was broken in three places.

OK, so now it's your turn....... HOW???

The barrel was "already broken in three places??"

Or the excess headspace cause it to "break in three places."

This is an information forum, we need MORE INFORMATION :) This IS NOT the "Telling Yolly Stories Around Ye Roaring Kempfire" forum. Explain yourself please.

al

Last edited:
I don't put music in the shop. For me, both music & work take full attention. But it I did, it would be with a pair of those MMGs.

My wife's like that, and several of my kids. I, on the other hand, often play music for background. Or moreso I'll put on a music station when I'm turning necks or mowing the lawn or clearing snow with the tractor.

al

Hey, it's Christmas :) this thread's not hijacked it's just diverging pleasantly, multi-threading.

Al-

Maby he was shooting fish in a broken barrel? Sure sounds like a "FISH STORY" to me. Head space problems usually [almost always] start between the ears.

Stay happy, it's still the Holidays!!

Steve Moore

Back