New benchrest shooter trying to build on a budget

T

txshooter

I'm new to benchrest shooting and trying to get going on a budget. I purchased a new Remington SPS 700 tactical rifle with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 scope. I am now trying to figure out what stock and trigger to put in it to get better shot groups. I am not too familiar with what's out there so any help would be appreciated. I am contemplating a Jewell trigger and a Boyds laminated thumbhole stock. Any input is appreciated.

I suggest you find the closet Benchrest range that holds local and or registered matches and go to it and talk to some of the shooters that are their. If you can after talking to some of them see if one them that gives you the most time and information or one of them that might live fairly close to you that will help you get on the right start. In our sport you will get more information than you may want of understand at first, but you have to figure out what information will or will not work for you.

If you are really interested in trying this sport make sure you do it for the fun of it, if you want to be first and want a trophy all the time, you may get discouraged and not stay to long in this sport. You can win in the morning and lose in the afternoon; one bullet can make a big difference in this sport.

You will or may get a lot of post here but if you go to a match that will be the best help you will get.

Good Luck and enjoy this is a great sport.

This will be a dedicated target rifle as I don't hunt. I just love shooting and have had a blast at the local matches(.22 silhouette, high power service rifle, PPC, and most recently sniper match) I liked shooting in the Army and now have found that there are all kind of matches to enter.

txshooter,
Best bet is to decide what kind of shooting you prefer. Its unfortunate, but each shooting discipline requires a different rifle. Kick it around a little, if you want to go for extreme accuracy then the PPC is the way to go at short range. Best people you will ever meet. Good luck in your pursuit.

MAC

have 308 single shot remington xr100 with a laminated thumbhole stock / an weaver 36 power target scope that will get you started in factory class matches if interested call larry at 281-451 -9120

As said above, the word "Benchrest" covers a lot of ground.

Go to different matches and see what you like. Different disciplines require different rifles to be competitive.

I'd suggest dipping your toes in the games with loaners or a factory class with your current rifle.

Once you get a good idea of what you want to shoot, though, I suggest buying a used rifle on top-notch custom components that is a known good shooter. At the same time, if you are shooting a discipline where they are used, I recommend getting and consistently using windflags.

A couple of the guys here got me started that way and it's been a gift that has kept on giving. Shifted disciplines but I'm still happily shooting that rifle (adapted from 10.5 to 13.5 lbs and from 6mm to 30 cal...for Varmint for Score (VFS)).

It's simple. A good rifle will teach you how to shoot buy removing the precision of the rifle from the equation. It's all you after that. Reading the wind, bench manners, load tuning, etc. A not so precise rifle will leave you wandering in the dark. It's like chasing a system with more variables than equations to nail it down.

I'll tell on myself by way of example...

I shot a local area club match this weekend. I had tuned my rifle to a gnat's hair the day before, so I knew it was shooting. My bench partner and I set my flags up super well, so I could read what little wind there was super well. The bench was set up well. But every two or three shots would flip a shot 1/4" to the left. Never the right. Zero vertical. I struggled with it for a while, but because I knew the rifle was a known quantity, the problem had to be me. Skipping a few steps, I figured out that I was sitting at a 45 deg angle to the rifle. The butt was hitting my shoulder at an angle rather than square. Now, if the butt is skidding to the right off my shoulder, where does that flip the shot? Yep, to the left. I squared up to the rifle, everything started going right and despite finishing in the middle of the pack, I left happy because I'd learned a lesson that I'll never forget.

What Pat said!

Actually, if you have the means to approach this in terms of spending less money in the long term there's another route entirely. Watch out for a rifle that is a proven winner (AKA "killer rifle") and offer the owner something in the neighborhood of 4 grand (quibble over the scope and case). This route will save you tens of thousands over the years to come if you are the slightest bit competitive in nature.

Additionally, if the owner responds..."No, but I'll take $4500"....write the check before he comes to his senses or somebody else writes it first.

Last edited:
No doubt he could... but does that make a 10.5 lb sporter in 6 PPC the universal right choice for some one starting out in an area that shoots predominately score vs. group?

Butch,

I don't know that the OP ever really specified *what* they shoot in his locale... which is why I questioned whether a 6PPC might be the one-and-only gun needed.

YMMV,

Monte

One reason that a 6mm PPC is better for someone just beginning is that they are easier to shoot well, meaning far less recoil to contend with, far less movement in the bags and far less chance of banging one's eye to a bloody pulp if a gun handling mistake is made. Secondly, with a PPC as one learns to read the flags and handle their gun properly, one can shoot a 250 or 500 easier (as a beginner). Although the x count will likely be lower, a 500 at a dual yardage event will usually place one hight enough to feel some satisfaction with their shooting. Thirdly, a 6PPC is quite a bit cheaper to shoot than a 30 BR, thus one can shoot more for the same money spent.
As for the Savage action vs a custom...the best trigger that I have felt on any Savage pales in comparison to a Jewel, Kelbly, Shilen or other BR triggers for a Rem or custom action. As well, as the day wears on and the rifle becomes hotter, the difference in smoothness becomes far more aparent in favor of the custom action. If one insists on starting with a Savage action, one shouldn't be too disapointed when one decides they should have gone the other way the first time.
JMHO
Mark

I guess you could slice this pie into as many pieces as you would like :) bullets are quite a bit cheaper, use less powder, after how many rounds do you toss a barrel into the tomatoe stake pile (600 rounds like Tony Boyer) or do you use it until YOU can see a marked difference in accuracy? Remember, this is a learners rifle! Would you care to differ with the idea that a 6PPC is easier to shoot well, doesn't punish the shooter as much, the PPC in a 10 1/2 Lb. rifle has significantly less recoil than a 13 1/2 Lb 30 BR.
As I said, that was MY opinion and I'm sticking with it FWIW!

Back