New BBL:..187 BIB

Tod Soeby

I just purchased ANOTER new tube....like I really needed it. Anyway, going to screw this tube on my original LG......Kriger 5-R, 12 twist finish at 30".

My question......300 WBY or 300 WSM??

Talked to the gentelman a BIB....He likes the 300 wby idea.....lots of guys shooting 338 lapua sized casses with great luck.

WBY- 3
WSM - 0

Vote now...pretend you are voting AGAINST Obama!!! ;)

Last edited:
I "HEARD" there were some issues with bolt face pressure with the short mag...any news there ?
if an issue then i would go with the wby......
i'm new at this game and jsut shot a win mag....not short

mike in co

Mike,

I guess You lost me on that one. I have a 2 WSM tubes and have no problems with PSI. They are a 10 twist Spencer and an 11 twist Krieger...no issues with either. I do know that the powder charge is not much different with the 187 than what I use with a 210 before I get to the PSI signs, which seems odd to me. I think it is the long bearing serface of the flat based BIB bullet.

Are you saying that there is trouble with the WSM/BIB combo, or just the WSM in general?

We had some 30 degree days last weekend, so I pulled the HG with the 1-10 Spencer tube on it and tried the bibs and the new 230 Bergers. Bergers were very promising, but the bibs shot like a house-a-fire. Admidadly, I was only shooting 300 yard, three shot groups, but I think my BIGGEST group with the BIBs was around 1/4 moa....because I had a flyer!!!! Just worried about bullets comming apart at long range with the faster twist tube.

Thanks,
Tod

Last edited:
Hi Tod , I have shot thousands of the BIBs since 2003 .. Not the sharpest tool in the chest in terms of BC but seem to hold way less Vertical on average than the guns i shoot against over here in Australia ..The vertical dispersion on my gun for the season ended 2011 was 5.300ins for ten targets ,actual group 6.579ins with a 95.317 score .. I don't suffer that much when it blows because they come out reasonable fast ,,come ups are 19minutes from 100 to 1000 on a new 13 twist barrel .. Reckon they only loose to about .515bc after meplating .. From the guys i have spoken to in your country that run BIBs , speed seems to be from 3100 to 3400 ,if it were me i would try a 300 ack / 300 wby ,re25 combo .. Joel P set the world record with just this so it can't be too bad ..Good luck..JR..Jeff Rogers.. Vote WBY 1................
I just purchased ANOTER new tube....like I really needed it. Anyway, going to screw this tube on my original LG......Kriger 5-R, 12 twist finish at 30".

My question......300 WBY or 300 WSM??

Talked to the gentelman a BIB....He likes the 300 wby idea.....lots of guys shooting 338 lapua sized casses with great luck.

So WBY- 1
WSM - 0

Vote now...pretend you are voting AGAINST Obama!!! ;)

it was something that came up in the discussion on case choice...maybe three years back....have not heard of any issues since then...so maybe nothing at this point.

and if you have two with no issues...i would disregard my comment.
mike in co

Ackley is out.....300 Wby is ugly twin to the Ackley....pretty much. Thanks, You may get a PM some day when I am closer to figuring out the feebore and basic chamber setup. Not sure if my currant 300 WBY reamer will work. It is set up so that the boattail ojive on a 210 Berger VLD is flush with the bottom of the neck. The onlything below that point is the boattail. My OAL is right around 3.85"....very long.

Tod
The freebore on a 300 WSM case that puts the pressure ring 0.050 in front of the neck/shoulder junction comes out to 0.287.
I have the reamer if you want to borrow it.
If you go with less freebore the pressure ring keeps moving closer to the neck/shoulder junction and once your there your $hit out of luck as far as neck tension goes.
Lynn

Lynn,

Ok, I've got some dumb questions....."pressure ring"...best I can gather on the 187 BIB's that I have...the majority of the bearing seface has a diameter of .3075. Right at the base of the bullet I detect a flair which measures .3085. Can I assume that this is the "pressure ring"? When you say .050 in front of the neck/ shoulder juncture...you mean that the bullet is not seated far enough into the case for the PSI ring to get to the powder column...the PSI ring is in the neck itself?

I am probably going to use my 300 wby reamer. I have it set up so that the only thing that protrudes lower than the neck is part of the boat tail with a 210 Berger. OAL aproaching 3.9" I am again going to assume that with the long WBY neck that it would be OK to have the PSI ring more than .050 from the neck/shoulder junction...ie...longer.

Do the BIB's need to be Jammed into the lands like the Berger VLD's do? If my reamer is actually to long, will the added jump be a problem? I just checked a couple on a gun with a fairly fresh chamber....with the bullet just kissing the lands I am a little more than 1/2 way down the neck with the base of the bullet...maybe 2/3. My guess is that just isn't enough neck. The way I have it measured....I have .29" of neck...The base of the bullet is in around .20 to .21..I can actually measure the bulge in the neck where the PSI ring is.

Tod
The pressure ring on the BIB's tends to open up your necks tension.If you go to deep in the neck the bullets will fall into the powder because the ring is at the bullets base/heel junction.If you throat it to long and leave the pressure ring halfway up the neck the bullet will rock back and forth in the neck or not enter the bore as straight as it could.By that I mean a long neck case will still make some contact with the bearing surface of the BIB even if the pressure ring has ironed it out somewhat.It does that due to the spring back of the neck.
If the bullet is barely in the neck there is nothing in front of the pressure ring to spring back and hold it in alignment with the bore is another way of saying it.
Lynn

I just measuerd a WSM case...total neck length is .250.....if you put the psi ring .050 up from the neck shoulder junction, you only have .2 neck above the PSI ring. With my WBY case I have .21 above the PSI ring with the bullet just kissing the lands....there is more neck/bullet contact above the PSI ring with the WBY than with the WSM. It's just that there is also more case BELOW it also.

Also..how about the jump/jam?

What is the neck on your WSM die? I just had Clay Spencer use his...a .336 neck....on my HG.

Tod
I am using Norma brass and its got a neck longer than 0.250 probably closer to 0.290 if I remember correctly.
I shoot them into the lands so that part is okay and my reamer also has a 0.336 neck same as Clays.
I am using a 13.25 twist in one heavygun and a 13.5 twist in another heavygun.
I will seat a 210 Berger after work Thursday and post my results.
Lynn

Back