New Anschutz Action Status

bguinn

Any news on the status of the new Anschutz action Bill Calfee was working on with Dieter?

Specs and availability?

yes it has been dropped

the annie boys could not make head nor tail of the e-mails by billy.

stuff about """ annie get your gun """

and other e-mails that spoke in riddles, just like he does here

Jefferson

(think I do not have the inside track about this, maybe I might tell you about the non-threaded barrel fiasco)

ok I'll bite

What is the non-threaded barrel fiasco? I thought the idea was to thread the new design?

typical billish answer

that would have to be in another thread.

maybe if you send me a letter I can answer it.

the world should not be privy to those thoughts.

(short blunt answer, ..........shot show discussion result of some SS barrels to do this to..............................not)

see you at the next shot show

Jefferson

Friend Bguinn

Friend Bguinn:

I was contacted by Mr. Anschutz after he read one of my Precision Shooting articles where I wrote of what I thought could make the 54 Anschutz a killer........which of course included threading the action for the barrel...

I told him I'd help in any way I could. The only thing I requested from Mr. Anschutz was that he furnish actions and triggers......as stand alone items....the reason I did this was to keep folks from having to buy the whole gun, then throw everything away but the action/trigger...We have had to do that with Remington for ever...Anyone need about 100 XP-100 barrels? Stocks, etc.....sights, you name it...all gone to waste when I build my XP-100 rimfire conversions...The cost of shooting is high enough without being forced to buy a bunch of parts that ain't going to be used.....

I ain't never heard from him again.....I guess he decided he wouldn't sell actions........???

Friend Bguinn, Deiter knows what I want anyhow.....he don't need any more advice from me for him to up-grade his 54 action.....

I ain't about to assist anyone who's going to force us to buy a bunch of stuff we don't need, just to get the action......

And you know, if Dieter sold actions only, don't mean he still couldn't produce complete rifles, using the new action, for those who wanted them....

Dieter, with a few changes in his 54 action, could lock up the rimfire accuracy market.....but, it's his business, not mine....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Has anybody ever heard directly or indirectly why Anschutz has not decided to thread it's 54 series action? Since it would seem to represent the sum total of all German knowledge about .22 accuracy I think it's fairly safe to assume that they believe the current system of bbl fitment to be superior. I have never heard any speculation as to why. I'm pretty sure lathes in Germany are capable of cutting a thread. Does it not make you wonder?

The value of proprietary.....if you thread them, most everyone will start changing barrels. If something other than an Anchutz barrel won a major international competition, people would start to doubt...and then concider whether the action was worth it if you have to change the barrel anyway.... and then the whole world would be in chaos.

I think it would be found that Anschutz actions have been rebarrelled more than once before today. I know that a whole lot of Nev Madden's bareels went into them here in Australia & on the continent.

Action

Hi there guys.
As you know, both Steyr and Anschütz are owned by the German Anschütz family. Steyr in Austria made two prototypes of a new action and they shot well rumour has it. The guy fronting this project quit and they iced the project. At the Anschütz factory they produce all they can of the 2000 series action for the chinese market now and they also get the round action series going with excellent barrels.Mr Vogel, the factory manager, has iced all new projects due to increased production and sales. To make the products better they have tested different ways of buttoning the barrels. First drill and hone, then shape , chambering and after that pulling button. They have even tried doing the same with the action already on barrel before chambering first and then pulling button.All this to avoid burr and trouble with chambers. Of course they also do the work the regular way to check the results. I can understand the thought of halting the new projects when 130 odd people need food on they plates.

Tim,

"Has anybody ever heard directly or indirectly why Anschutz has not decided to thread it's 54 series action?"

Yes, we discussed this at length over dinner during the last shot show when they were in town. In short, no, we will not see a threaded action anytime soon. They have a handful of reasons for moving in a different direction at this time, but one that stuck out was they are in the business of making guns for the shooter, not the gunsmith.

As Joe pointed out, the company is now under the direction of the eldest son, Jochen Anschuetz, and he is a very sharp individual. I suspect that if they do make changes, it will be in close consultation with his father and his brother Uwe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why worry about it, I've had my annie rebarreled both by having the barrel glued in and having the action threaded both worked equally well. So when it comes time to rebarrel let your gunsmith decide you can't go wrong either way.
Joe

Anyone know where I can get some 80's style Bavarians??

I'm a new member.

Does anyone know where I can get some 1980's style Anschutz "Bavarian" stocked rifles in any of the four calibers: .22 L.R., .22 WMR, .22 Hornet, and .222 Remington??:confused:

I'd like to get double-set triggers as well if possible.

I can be emailed at gilbert159@hotmail.com if anyone has any info.

Thanks, Kevin

Tim,

"Has anybody ever heard directly or indirectly why Anschutz has not decided to thread it's 54 series action?"

Yes, we discussed this at length over dinner during the last shot show when they were in town. In short, no, we will not see a threaded action anytime soon. They have a handful of reasons for moving in a different direction at this time, but one that stuck out was they are in the business of making guns for the shooter, not the gunsmith.

As Joe pointed out, the company is now under the direction of the eldest son, Jochen Anschuetz, and he is a very sharp individual. I suspect that if they do make changes, it will be in close consultation with his father and his brother Uwe.

Steve, this is why I posed the question. I can certainly understand the position that they are in the "system" business and not the "component" business. I certainly understand that they might be of the mindset that with easy interchangability, on the occasion that lousey smithing and suspect bbl and it's easier for their esteemed quality reputation to become more easily tarnished.
I am, however, curious if there is any basis in their engineering or testing that ever sugested the threaded method offers anything. In a game that now measures advances in incrementaly smaller steps as everything has gotten so much better, does it not make you wonder? Since you chimed in here, have you ever heard anything?

Well, of course many of their internal dealings are not openly discussed outside the family, but from what I have discussed, looking at internal threads of the action, they consider it a basic machining operation, and feel that if a shooter is so skilled in the three-position or prone event that they can outshoot the current barrel, they more than likely have access to a skilled gunsmith who can do such a thing for them.

As far as their accuracy requirements are established, a pinned barrel has proven to be accurate enough, by their standards. So, in their eyes, there is not advantage to the shooter in Olympic events to warrant the extra effort and cost.

Have they threaded some and messed with it; yes.

It's interesting to see the world through their eyes, and they are not obsessed with BR accuracy as we are in the states, and their rifles are still winning many events.

So, do I wonder about their thought process, yep. But I think they are up to something (it ain't threading), but they won't tell me and just play coy when I dig.

And in reality, how much money would it make them? When they are looking to clear millions of euro's a year, selling an extra 100 threaded actions really doesn't add up to justify the effort or cost, and they are not going to just sell actions. And with the Euro vs. Dollar, you want to spend over $1500 for one of their actions? Not many will.

They also show considerable discomfort with people modifying their rifles in such a way. I think it was put to me like this: for every one skilled machinist who can do it correctly, there are 10 who do it incorrectly, yet no matter the results, they are still called Anschutz rifles. It was an interesting comment.

Maybe the Anschutzs were tired of Calfee's talking in circles and not getting to the point of the issue.......

Anschutz

"It was an interesting comment"

Steves last paragraph sure rang a bell loud and clear with me. Many years ago I sent an Anschutz to one of the countries best shooters and "skilled" machinists, known for his barrel jobs, for a new barrel. He threaded. When I received the barreled action it was threaded so crooked it would not fit in the stock inletting.
At the same time and unknown to me a fellow shooter sent his in for a barrel, his also came back threaded crooked.

There is some validity in that comment whether we like it or not.

bjm

Thanks Steve. While I remain curious, I've suspected that your last comment was probably going to be the answer. For the time being that seems to be game, set, & match on that subject.

Back