new 8208

Jerry H

Different Drummer
I finally got to shoot in some dry air yesterday with the new 8208. So far my tests have shown that a 30.5 load works with Shilen, Krieger, and Bartlein barrels. Also my own 66 gr, Bart Ultra 68, and Cheek 65 FB all at .005 short of push back jam. The same results for 4 different guns and shooters. A swing of 85% to 30% RH, 40-75 degrees F, DA of 800 to 2000. I will have to wait to see what happens when the dew point temps go up to the 75-80 degree range. Lot #s 4736 and 4773 are 2fps of each other though the density is heavier by volume with the latter. I have never seen any powder do this in 25 years of BR.
Some unusual observations are; about 10 fps per .1 charge increase versus 12-14 with “typical BR powders”; rapid carbon squeak fouling in dry air; high velocity gains per inch of barrel length; low speed increase as temperature rises but high velocity increase with as RH decreases. I suspect this is the “secret” to maintaining the tune. I usually increase the load in drier air to keep the tune or drop to a lower node. This so far, has not been needed. The tune stability of this is unreal. “T” never did that! This may level the playing field dramatically. There are three nodes of tune which are typical of the good BR powders.
Normal end of aggregate or day abrasive cleaning is still needed. This carbon fouling is the same as other ADI powders.

I finally got to shoot in some dry air yesterday with the new 8208. So far my tests have shown that a 30.5 load works with Shilen, Krieger, and Bartlein barrels. Also my own 66 gr, Bart Ultra 68, and Cheek 65 FB all at .005 short of push back jam. The same results for 4 different guns and shooters. A swing of 85% to 30% RH, 40-75 degrees F, DA of 800 to 2000. I will have to wait to see what happens when the dew point temps go up to the 75-80 degree range. Lot #s 4736 and 4773 are 2fps of each other though the density is heavier by volume with the latter. I have never seen any powder do this in 25 years of BR.
Some unusual observations are; about 10 fps per .1 charge increase versus 12-14 with “typical BR powders”; rapid carbon squeak fouling in dry air; high velocity gains per inch of barrel length; low speed increase as temperature rises but high velocity increase with as RH decreases. I suspect this is the “secret” to maintaining the tune. I usually increase the load in drier air to keep the tune or drop to a lower node. This so far, has not been needed. The tune stability of this is unreal. “T” never did that! This may level the playing field dramatically. There are three nodes of tune which are typical of the good BR powders.
Normal end of aggregate or day abrasive cleaning is still needed. This carbon fouling is the same as other ADI powders.

Jerry, you may have just created another "run" on the Gold can!!

I really believe you have a BINGO on your theory of moisture effect on bore fouling.

Great report, thanks.

Jerry

Today at Tomball, we had a high of about 65, and the humidity was way down, around 30-35 percent.

I shot the 8208 BRX behind a 65 grn Barts BoatTail, it took 31.9 grns to tighten it up, that yeilded a velocity of an average 3410 fps out of my Sporters 21 5 inch barrel.

I tried dropping it down into the mid 3300's, it just went verticle.

As far as pressure goes, I would say that the 31.9 grn load is about equal to the 30.4 grn load of 133 that we have been shooting for a number of years........jackie

Several Questions for Jackie

Guys like Jackie always claim to get more powder in their cases than others.
My question is are you 31.5+ guys using new 8208 shooting the standard ppc case or has your reamer cut a new PPC with a longer case body. Inquiring ears would like to know. My gunsmith says he has tried evrything with the new 8208 and cannot get more than 30.5 grn of new 8208 in his PPC. Same Lapua brass as what others use.

Jackie is there something you are doing to get more new 8208 in your PPC cases or have you run your reamer farther into your barrel creating a longer PPC.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Stephen
I've got 31.2gr of the new 8208 powder in my standard 6ppc cases.
31.2gr in my cases, using a drop tube ( that I put together myself ) that is about 15 inches long, is just about half way up the neck.
paul

Paulie

I use 133 and H322 extreme in my 6PPC. The most I ever loaded with 133 was 29.5. I don't use a long drop tub. My smith uses the long drop tube but when he throws 30.5 grn of new 8208 he is at the top of the case neck in a 6 PPC. Just wondering if there is a different way to get more powder in a case. Thanks for your post Paulie.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

I don't think Jackie is doing anything special here. It's quite easy to get 31.5grs into the case. Fills the case neck about half way up using a 8 inch drop tube and a slow trickle...

6" drop tube. 31.5 almost to rim. Standard brass. D. Scott Chamber. Old brass 22 loads. XBR.

Stephen that is a very good question. Thanks. I was wondering that myself....

Jerry H your absolutely correct on the moisture.
Ron Reiber told me the same thing about powders and loading at the range. Ron said keep your powder in an air tight container when your not reloading/ He said the powder draws moisture while we are shooting
Ron recomends preloading but i think that maybe doing things the old way might work.
we use to weigh charges and put them in glass vials .
I'm goig to try this out this year just for an experiment/
I still have quite a few laying around
Jerry Sherritt probably did this also YEARs ago'
just my nickels worth

Guys like Jackie always claim to get more powder in their cases than others.

Jackie is there something you are doing to get more new 8208 in your PPC cases or have you run your reamer farther into your barrel creating a longer PPC.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Stephen, the new IMR8208XBR has a higher bulk density than V133 or H322, i.e. it weighs more per unit of volume. This 8208 is what Hodgdon calls a High Energy powder and is an extruded powder made with ball powder technology.

Kind of confusing I know. Remember, a pound of lead weighs more than a pound of feathers.

Last edited:
Jerry H your absolutely correct on the moisture.
Ron Reiber told me the same thing about powders and loading at the range. Ron said keep your powder in an air tight container when your not reloading/ Jerry Sherritt probably did this also YEARs ago'
just my nickels worth

Gerry, it is spelled Sharrett, not Sharritt. Remember now old son, you are addressing the guy who threaded the propeller shaft on Noah's Ark!!

Stephen, the new IMR828XBR has a higher bulk density than V133 or H322, i.e. it weighs more per unit of volume. This 8208 is what Hodgdon calls a High Energy powder and is an extruded powder made with ball powder technology.

Kind of confusing I know. Remember, a pound of lead weighs more than a pound of feathers.

Jerry, You going to the Shamrock?? Jim

Stephen, the new IMR8208XBR has a higher bulk density than V133 or H322, i.e. it weighs more per unit of volume. This 8208 is what Hodgdon calls a High Energy powder and is an extruded powder made with ball powder technology.

Isn't that... "A pound of feahers weighs more than a pound of gold"
Feathers are measured on the avoidupois scale, gold on the troy scale...
just sayin! :D

Sorry Jerry:eek:
These old fingers screw up a lot. If you did the prop shaft i was near by
Watching" LOL you know how us kids are Gerry 67

8208...for what it's worth

Not being a recognized BR shooter...I submit the following with regard to my experience with IMR 8208 Lot #104798 (I think)! Conditions were 35 deg F rising to 50 deg F, switcy winds to 15 mph and cold wet ground, warm sun mirage.
I started loading my 6PPC at 29 grains and that produced one group of .165 and a second at .171, 5 shots, 100 yds, Barts 68 Ultra, Rem 7 1/2 BR Primer, Lapua brass, .262 neck, .020 jam, the barrel is a Krieger 1-14 and new (30 shots). Everything changed after 29 grains with a varrying degrees of verticle in the groups untill I got to 31 grains (which is all I could get into my brass that was being shot with bullets for the first time. At 31 grains I got 1 group at .147 and 1 at .165, almost no verticle.
There seemed to be a touch more residue in the barrel than with VVN 133, but was easily cleaned with normal cleaning procedures after 15 rounds. I used 2 fouler shots after cleaning.
I did notice some primer cratering that I didn't see with VVN 133 at 29 grains.
Stick this in the "for what it's woth column" and thanks for all the help to everyone!
Mark

Back