Need some advice on a Ruger #1

jlcprec

After several years of refusing the job, I finally succombed to the pressure and agreed to rebarrel a Ruger 1. This was a .17 REmington, but was to be converted to a 6 PPC. The barrel work was a pain, but do able. However, I'm having trouble with the extrator. I ordered what was supposed to be the correct extractor for a .22 PPC from Brownells, and managed to get it installed. It looks like it's more for a .308 case head, as it doesn't extend into the chamber at all so it can catch the case rim. As it is, it slides paste the rim of a PPC case, after pulling it out about .100. The cases aren't tight, and easily come out with a fingernail.

Any suggestions?

Jim Carstensen

jlc: Can't you use the orginal extractor and recut it for the ppc?

Jim
Do you have the ejector plunjer and spring properly installed? Do yo have enough relief cut into the barrel to allow the ejector to be pushed over where it needs to be?
If both are yes then try the original extractor.

James

ext.

Try putting the original extractor back in and try again . I have found there a genous tolerances on the # 1 extractors and it may have enough play to work .It may also just need a little clean - up to make work.

Chris

The original extractor would extract the cases fine, but you would really have to finagle the shell to get in the chamber. It didn't want to go past the extractor. It was really hard to do with a scope mounted.

Just a comment. If the cut in the back of the barrel is to the right far enough(action vertical line for the extractor or a visual of the hook into the empty chamber) and the hook is long enough/shaped right; then one might take a look at the left/right movement of the extractor. New Ruger piece part extractors are pretty thick in width in the area where the crosshaft goes thru. Sometimes a small removal of material from the extractor's left/right circular surfaces will allow the left/right movement to be increased; thus left/right spring induced tension thru the movement for/aft. I have never enlarged the 1/4" hole for such.

Really, the hook should be able to extend into the empty chamber circle with ease; of course the hook has to be short enough to get over the case head to the left and not hit the receive wall. With an empty case in the chamber, one should be able to lower the block slightly, and use a small instrument to test the tension/fit of the hook onto the case, it should have some snap to it. The extractor at rest, ie the lever and block all the way down, the extractor sits in a slight recess on top of the block to facilitate loading as moved by the extractor cam/spring. A roller on the block during upward lever movements pushes the ejector forward and then moves to the left to allow the hopefully then oncoming engagement of the rim/recess.

Sometimes the girth of a new part at its bottom area is the culprit. All of the parts on the cross shaft are fairly closely fitted, sometimes it takes a little metal removal on the new extractor base to allow it left/right movements like one would want.

FWIW

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick,

Thanks for the tip. I just cut a little more clearance off the barrel so the extractor could move in towards the case more. That seemed to fix it, although I've not fired it yet. It will extract fired cases better now.

Jim Carstensen

Back