Need Nylon 66 Barrel

S

STBE Harris

I found a nice Nylon 66 but the barrel is bulged and has hairline cracks on the outside at that location and it is about three inches from the chamber. I dont think it would be a safe proposition to shoot it as it is now. Had one just like it 30 years ago would like to get it but would need a barrel. As far as I can tell Numrich is out of stock (does this mean permanently?) I always seem to miss something on their site. Anyone have any other ideas? I guess having some one machine one from a take off barrel would be prohibitive? Thanks in advance STBE

It could always be lined and that would be the cheapest way bar finding a used barrel.

It could always be lined and that would be the cheapest way bar finding a used barrel.

Do not attempt to re-line a bulged and split barrel. Liners are very thin ,even if you can bore out the bulged area you will have a weak area due to the fractured section of the barrel.
If you cannot find a replacment a smith with a lathe and a small mill or milling attachment should be able to make you one from a blank.
Might be pricey though.

Chuck.

PS to my above post.
I will check with my suppliers of obscure parts today and see if I can find you one.
Chuck.

Chuck

Hope you have luck with your supplier that would be great.

How much to machine a barrel from a take off barrel? The Nylon OD diam would have to be matched but at least it is a straight non-taper barrrel?

Thanks for the help

STBE

Chuck,

A .22 LR barrel liner is capable of being fired without being inside a barrel. Being installed in a bulged barrel poses no danger nor causes any problem that I have experienced in the ones I have done. Certainly it is stronger when installed with a "solid" support around it, but I would not be worried whatever in doing it.

Barrel Mfg

Why not contact a barrel mfg'r, and ask them what it would cost if they duplicated the orginal factory profile.
Would they would be the second question.

Nylon 22 Barrel

Fred yes but that would be my last resort. If this little rifle doesnt get a barrel it is nothing more than a parts carcass. I was just trying to see if I could find a barrel since there were over a million of these plastic rilfes made. Numrich sold barrels for them for $59 +- last time they had them, that would have been great deal, great project and nice nostalgic shooter. By the way the guns sold for $49 for many years. I would imagine that a custom milled barrel from a barrel maker is going to cost more than a NIB collector 66. But I don't know that for sure I will check. I didnt even think about a liner till Dennis mentioned it but I have never really like the idea of liners. Right now I can't even think of commercial grade barrel makers other than E.R. Shaw and I think a company bought them out. Dont want to even think about the prices from custom makers like Hart, Shilen, Luja(sp) etc. Any suggestions?

I bought one a few months ago on e-bay keep checking they are listed occasionaly. Newyankee

I have a barrel from a Nylon 76, and it appears to be the same as a 66. If you are interested in it, I will check it out and let you know about the condition.

Back