Need input for range redesign...

jbzeus

Hello all. Our club currently has a range that hasn't been used much. Basically just a slab that needs replaced and berms at 50Y/M and 100Y/M that have been neglected. I have asked and been designated "project manager" to bring the range back into more formal use.

I am considering attempting to make the range multi use for smallbore shooting. I'd love to hear from you and consider any input you might have so I can try to incorporate the best design elements while keeping the range multi use. What have you seen that you like or dislike or "If I were going to build a range I would..."

Firing line - Silhouette/Position/Benchrest How to best incorporate the three into one firing line? Position in front of the benches? Between the benches? Best bench design? (I'm currently planning all concrete) If between the benches then the firing line width grows due to the increased space to move and handle rifles.

Overhead baffles. Not sure we need baffles all the way down the range but potentially the first few yards. We have a barn to the right and up about 40' (not indirect line of the firing line but we want to make sure an errant round doesn't leave the property. OUr property extends beyond the berm but we want to be safe.)

Firing line design? Any ideas for best practices? How many points? I shoot at a range not far away that has ARA and informal benchrest that has 10 benches and we fill them for several relays to tghe point where some would shoot more but don't want to wait around for a couple hours to shoot again. Our available range width is approximately 200'.

Hopefully this thread will generate a lot of good input so I can incorporate fresh ideas. If you have pictures to share please PM me and I can give my email address.

Suggestions

One of the issues I see quite frequently is benches that are too close together. Thus, not allowing a lefty to shoot on a bench to the left of a right handed shooter. Most of the time not a big deal but have seen seperate relays needed at times. Leave enough room to accommodate this & that may leave enough room for prone shooters??
A cover over the firing line is a must have imo. Try to keep the benches away from the eaves if at all possible.
Good Luck,
Keith

I am not sure of the layout of your range currently, but if you are doing a complete revamp I would want to have some thought put into things such as how side berms will affect wind inside the target lines. I have shot at places with berms like walls all the way around the range and some that were as open as a person could hope for. I have had just as bad of wind conditions at both kinds of places but if more thought was put into this, it may be something that can be helped. Maybe not I'm not sure. You may try to contact forum member William Casey about how he done his range 'Chickenfoot' in Gerogia. I have not personally shot there yet, plan to this year, but it always seems to be high scores shot out of his range. That in my opinion will help to draw shooters to your range in the future.

Oak ridge, TN club shoots ARA on its small bore range but the benches are not permanent so it keeps the line clear for the other disciplines. Might be able to get an idea from how they are setup and modify the firing line to fit your needs.

A cover over the line is probably a must to keep people coming back. Wouldn't bother me if it wasn't there but has to potential to be aggravating. Sorry I do not have pictures to share.

Tad

You can have benches that can be moved around with a hand truck. WWCCA has them and they can clear the benches from the firing line in a matter of minutes to accommodate other shooting disciplines. Contact Tim Bassham (zippy06). He runs the score matches there. And he is on here quite often. I am sure that he can help you.

Good luck!

Matt

In my opinion

the most honest ranges have no side or rear berms or buildings that interrupt the flow of air. The two most honest ranges I have shot at are or were, when I shot there, wide open. Every time any obstruction is introduces to the flow of air, turbulence will occur and cause shots to wander.

Regarding benches, they need to be heavy enough and ideally, anchored so that leaning against them will not cause them to move. The any rear support needs to be forward of the rear of the bench enough to allow one's leg to be positioned under the bench top. I prefer the "Home Plate" style bench about 40 to 42 inches long and 30" high. Tail wide enough for an elbow pad to be placed beside the rear bag. I like to sit belly up to the bench and far to the rear.

Pete

the most honest ranges have no side or rear berms or buildings that interrupt the flow of air. The two most honest ranges I have shot at are or were, when I shot there, wide open. Every time any obstruction is introduces to the flow of air, turbulence will occur and cause shots to wander.

Regarding benches, they need to be heavy enough and ideally, anchored so that leaning against them will not cause them to move. The any rear support needs to be forward of the rear of the bench enough to allow one's leg to be positioned under the bench top. I prefer the "Home Plate" style bench about 40 to 42 inches long and 30" high. Tail wide enough for an elbow pad to be placed beside the rear bag. I like to sit belly up to the bench and far to the rear.

Pete

I disagree with the 'anchoring'. WWCCA's benches are portable and I have found them to be quite stable. They do not move when you lean on them.

I disagree with the 'anchoring'. WWCCA's benches are portable and I have found them to be quite stable. They do not move when you lean on them.

There is no substitute for a securely anchored bench. If, for some reason , some type of compromise has to be made, that's one thing but if your designing a line from a clean sheet of paper there is only one way to go.
Over time, even some anchored benches get issues which is why our range is about to renew our benches with concrete blocks and poured concrete tops X 40 .

Yep

There is no substitute for a securely anchored bench. If, for some reason , some type of compromise has to be made, that's one thing but if your designing a line from a clean sheet of paper there is only one way to go.
Over time, even some anchored benches get issues which is why our range is about to renew our benches with concrete blocks and poured concrete tops X 40 .

as Tim says, CB and concrete tops. When we were mulling over replacing our wooden benches at Orrington, Me we built a heavy pressure treated wood bench as an experiment. It has 6x6 legs, 2x6 top and sides. Everything was lag bolted and glued. After a month it exhibited some flex still. We ultimately went with CB legs and poured concrete tops. It was a good decision imo. --Greg

There was a range somewhere in the SER that had wooden benches that would not move. That's what I thought anyway. When a couple of days passed after shooting that range my ribs were sore...everytime. Pretty sure I was making that final adjustment pushing the bench and just didn't realize it.

That story told, I'll tell this one. When I was a younger fellow (pre-benchrest), I built a wooden bench that would not move. My Dad was removing the bench with a tractor and the chain kept breaking. He called me and I told him to saw the bench off at ground level unless he wanted to dig a 12 foot deep and 12 foot square hole because that's what I did when building it. There was way more underground than there was above ground...but it didn't move!

Back