Need help with Eric Johnson rifle built for William J. Sumerall

404tbang

Howdy!
I am looking for any info about William J. Summerall. He was supposed to be a good rimfire prone shooter from Waycross Ga.

Brian J. told me that he believed that Bill Summerall was on the cover of an issue of The American Rifleman. I have a rifle that belonged to him that was built by Eric Johnson. It is a BSA Martini. I would like to find out which American Rifleman it is. I have picked up some old Rifleman magazines at reasonable prices and I am having a ball getting educated on history I just didn't know about. Thought it would be fun to have the magazine that has Summerall, and hopefully, this rifle in it.

Any info at all about Summerall would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg

the Birmingham small arms company may be able to give a history of your rifle. they are still in business.

Greg, if you have not already I would ask over on the ASSRA site, there are a few Martini/Johnson types that are there.

Howdy Martin!
Thanks for the input! I found info on the reciever serial number, it is a model 12 reciever built either shortly before or after World War 1. By the serial number on the barrel, Johnson rebarreled it in 1945 or 1947, can't remember which. I would have to look it up again. I suspect that Johnson may have put a barrel on prior to this, getting that info might be difficult. Johnson modified the reciever too, I have seen one other like it. I have found some references to Bill Summerall in 1932 and 1933 American Rifleman magazines.

I would really, really like to find the American Rifleman with Summerall's picture on the cover. Hopefully it would have my rifle too! As I understand it, he shot from the 1930's through the 1960's. I could be wrong though.

Any and all info appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg

Thanks Tim!

Thanks Tim!
I had not thought about them yet! I know that there are some prone shooters here who have helped on this kind of stuff before, thought I would go to the mountain again. I will get to them (ASSRA) after I give the folks here some time. Good input, thanks Tim!

Greg

Have you already got this:

WILLAM J. SUMMERALL – Inducted 1987 – He was Waycross’ first rifle marksmanship champion. In 1931 at Sea Girt N. J., he placed second in the 200 yard match. He won the Georgia State Championship in 1936 after previously winning the American Legion National Championship at Camp Perry, Ohio in 1934. Also, in 1936, he set a national record at Camp Perry with a perfect score of 400 in a 50 meter match. He won the first match of the championship over 800 competitors, and was a member of the East American Legion team that won with a national record.
He was a member of the International Dewar team, composed of the top 20 scorers in aggregate matches and completed against teams from the British Empire. He placed 7th nationally in the National Rifle Association ranking instituted in 1936 and in 1937 he was a member of the U.S. International Pershing Trophy Team. He was the only Southerner on the team composed of the top ten shooters in the United States, which competed against Great Britain. He and a teammate, Dr. Russell Gardner from Ohio, shot the high total score.
At Camp Ritchie, Md., he teamed up with a former national champion to win the 1938 two-man team match by four points, a new range record. He had previously (1936) tied for second place in the Grand Aggregate at Camp Ritchie. He won a place on the 1938 International Dewar team and was a member of the International Veterans team.
In 1947, he won the North Carolina state championship, placed third in a match at Camp Perry and again made the International Dewar team.
He won the Southeastern Regional Matches at Chattanooga, the Tri-state matches at Chattanooga and the North Carolina State crown for a second time in 1949.
In 1950, Summerall won two matches in the Southeastern Regional in Miami and was second in the Southeastern Regional any sight aggregate in Knoxville, Tennessee in 1953. He shot a perfect score in a match in Los Angeles, California in 1960. He held a Lifetime Master Rifleman classification with the National Rifle Association.

Thanks Squatty!

Howdy Squatty!
I appreciate the contribution! I had found that somewhere along the way. It is from the Waycross-Ware county Sportsman's Hall of Fame. I sent them an email hoping to get any possible info and photos from them. Never got a reply. Tried getting a phone number, but apparently they have no listing.

I was hoping that Summerall made all of those accomplishments with the same rifle. Probably a long shot, but maybe not. Just thinking that it would be cool to help the rifle tell a story.

I appreciate your posting that info, it may jog the memory of somebody. Thank you very much for taking the time to do the research to help!

Greg

I have not talked to him in several years but if you could get in touch with Art Cook who used to import Eley and lapua RF ammo when he owned Tomart, Inc. you could get some information from him. Art was an Gold Medal Olympic shooter and they would have been shooting competition during the same time frame.

Thanks Burtona!

I would love to get in touch with "the Cookie that wouldn't crumble"!

I believe Art Cook shot a Morgan-Johnson to good effect for a while. He would be an awesome source of info!

Do you know how I could get in touch with him? I don't want to pester him too much, but he could help with info about a few rifles, I hope.

Thanks!
Greg

Howdy Squatty!

Didn't mean to miss you when I last posted.

No, I don't know which issue of AR that Summerall is on the cover of. Sorta hoping someone could direct me!

Thanks!
Greg

I would love to get in touch with "the Cookie that wouldn't crumble"!

I believe Art Cook shot a Morgan-Johnson to good effect for a while. He would be an awesome source of info!

Do you know how I could get in touch with him? I don't want to pester him too much, but he could help with info about a few rifles, I hope.

Thanks!
Greg
Sorry, I don't have contact info anymore for Art. I only have an old 1-800 number that is no longer valid. Some of the shooters in the Washington, Maryland area may can help.

have 3 Summerall rifles, wish to discuss with you...October 1936 American Rifleman

wish to discuss Summerall rifles with you, he is in the October 1936 American Rifleman
tks and God bless our troops...1sdog

I am looking for any info about William J. Summerall. He was supposed to be a good rimfire prone shooter from Waycross Ga.

Brian J. told me that he believed that Bill Summerall was on the cover of an issue of The American Rifleman. I have a rifle that belonged to him that was built by Eric Johnson. It is a BSA Martini. I would like to find out which American Rifleman it is. I have picked up some old Rifleman magazines at reasonable prices and I am having a ball getting educated on history I just didn't know about. Thought it would be fun to have the magazine that has Summerall, and hopefully, this rifle in it.

Any info at all about Summerall would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg[/QUOTE]

Summerall Winchester 52 and Eric Johnson barrels

thank you Steve for the contact to Gary, super guy...discussed 52s and small bore shooting...

God bless our troops...1sdog

You might try Gary Quinlan, 215 766 3403. He is very knowledgeable in both BSA's and Eric Johnson.
Steve

Back