Need Help Adjusting Jewel Trigger

hawkeye62

I have a Jewel BR trigger that I am trying to adjust to 1.5 ounces. When I get to the step that adjusts the pull weigh, even a slight decrease in pull weight results in the rifle firing on bolt close. So I have adjusted the sear screw to increase sear engagement. But, several turns of the screw are needed to stop the rifle firing on bolt close. And I never seem to get the pull weight below 2.5 ounces. (Using a Lyman Gauge)

Is there something I am missing? Are Jewel triggers especially hard to adjust? My only prior experience with adjusting a trigger was with an Anschutz 5018 trigger which was very easy to do.

Thanks for any advice, Jim

I have a Jewel BR trigger that I am trying to adjust to 1.5 ounces. When I get to the step that adjusts the pull weigh, even a slight decrease in pull weight results in the rifle firing on bolt close. So I have adjusted the sear screw to increase sear engagement. But, several turns of the screw are needed to stop the rifle firing on bolt close. And I never seem to get the pull weight below 2.5 ounces. (Using a Lyman Gauge)

Is there something I am missing? Are Jewel triggers especially hard to adjust? My only prior experience with adjusting a trigger was with an Anschutz 5018 trigger which was very easy to do.

Thanks for any advice, Jim

Are you adjusting according to Arnold's written procedure? I've never had a problem and have and had many of Arnold's triggers. Is it new, has it been cleaned, or was it causing a problem?

There is not a Jewel made that requires "several turns" of sear adjustment screw, something is woefully maladjusted.
Pull the trigger and flush it completely with lighter fluid or brake cleaner.
If you are competent, pull the side plate off and look, particularly if a spring end got busted or there is a substantial burr on something.
If the trigger is not screwed up or bolt has not suffered " home gunsmithing" when installed properly in your action, the sear reset should not be more than 3/4 turn once pin drops in that action.

Last edited:
Are you adjusting according to Arnold's written procedure? I've never had a problem and have and had many of Arnold's triggers. Is it new, has it been cleaned, or was it causing a problem?

I have been using the procedure from the Jewel web site. No issues except I wanted a slightly lighter pull. Never been cleaned, used about one month.

Regards, Jim

There is not a Jewel made that requires "several turns" of sear adjustment screw, something is woefully maladjusted.

Assuming that it is "woefully maladjusted", what would be a good starting point to correct the problem? I was thinking about setting the pull to 3 ounces, then starting at the beginning of the Jewel procedure.

Regards, Jim

Assuming that it is "woefully maladjusted", what would be a good starting point to correct the problem? I was thinking about setting the pull to 3 ounces, then starting at the beginning of the Jewel procedure.

Regards, Jim

Jim,
Using their instructions, go back to all factory presets as a start. If you cannot get 1.5-2 oz's easy, send it back for inspection, they are generally pretty responsive.

Jim,
Using their instructions, go back to all factory presets as a start. If you cannot get 1.5-2 oz's easy, send it back for inspection, they are generally pretty responsive.

OK, I managed to get about 1.6 to 1.9 ounces of pull, it is hard to tell exactly with a pull that light. I think my previous problem was due to not backing the sear screw off a full 3/4 turn before proceeding.

Question: Is there any appreciable interaction between sear engagement and pull weight adjustment?

Regards, Jim

Sorry if wrong but from your descriptions you seem intent on not following instructions.
FIRST- before anything, you set your sear up TO YOUR ACTION, by cocking it, turning screw out until pin drops...not on an empty chamber, then from there, go back 3/4 turn for safe sear engagement.....give it a bump test.
Now set your pull. Frankly, can you actually tell between 1.5oz and 1.9 oz ? Nobody I ever shot with could including me.
If that's all you get stop screwing around andgo shoot some targets.

Before anything, clean it.

Last edited:
Sorry if wrong but from your descriptions you seem intent on not following instructions.
FIRST- before anything, you set your sear up TO YOUR ACTION, by cocking it, turning screw out until pin drops...not on an empty chamber, then from there, go back 3/4 turn for safe sear engagement.....give it a bump test.
Now set your pull. Frankly, can you actually tell between 1.5oz and 1.9 oz ? Nobody I ever shot with could including me.
If that's all you get stop screwing around andgo shoot some targets.

Before anything, clean it.

I don't know where you get the idea that I don't follow instructions. I have been following the exact instructions from Jewell. I did forget to go back 3/4 turn on the sear engagement. That caused a lot of grief. Everything is just the way I want it now.

Regards, Jim

OK, Jewell experts. On a range trip today, I had a few times when racking the bolt didn't cock. So, what would be the best adjustment, increasing sear engagement or increasing pull weight?

Regards, Jim

OK, Jewell experts. On a range trip today, I had a few times when racking the bolt didn't cock. So, what would be the best adjustment, increasing sear engagement or increasing pull weight?

Regards, Jim

Probably the best adjustment is to let somebody familiar with the trigger adjustment set it up, nothing should be this tough.
Your sear engagement is off and if you haven't set it up yet, you are less capable at instructions than you perceive.
This seems to be the BRC all time record for a Jewel sear adjustment.

Probably the best adjustment is to let somebody familiar with the trigger adjustment set it up, nothing should be this tough.
Your sear engagement is off and if you haven't set it up yet, you are less capable at instructions than you perceive.
This seems to be the BRC all time record for a Jewel sear adjustment.

Chuckle chuckle chuckle!

Well, as a possible post script to this sad(so far) saga.
Why, I'll never know, is there a body of shooters out there, that feel possessed to break out the screwdrivers/wrenches any time they get a component with nuts/screws ? Usually, this takes place without experience required. Odds, usually, favor bad outcomes.

Butch.......ain't that the truth.:p

Well, as a possible post script to this sad(so far) saga.
Why, I'll never know, is there a body of shooters out there, that feel possessed to break out the screwdrivers/wrenches any time they get a component with nuts/screws ? Usually, this takes place without experience required. Odds, usually, favor bad outcomes.

And THAT is EXACTLY why I will not adjust triggers on anyones guns but my own.
I will do the initial setup if I install the trigger on a build but just won't mess with anything but a new trigger install.
You set it up correctly (not hard) and the very first thing someone wants to do is muck around with it.
Then it becomes your problem.
I tell them here are the instructions, very simple to follow, front to back, good luck.
Greg

Back