Need advice testing ammo.

Its important to know and have data on the place you test. We test at one outdoor place and have alot of targets shot there. Some places are not capable of consistent 2350 cards with the best ammo.
Todd

Now that is some critical information there! Excellent post Todd. My club, not a match club, is very much a B**** to shoot a good card at. I only do serious testing and tuning there very early in the morning when the wind is almost nonexistent. You wait too long when the wind picks up, and 4-5 flags will all be pointed in different directions and my two up/down flags will be one up and one down. How do you get good data with that going on?

We are lucky to have a concrete bench and a place we can shoot night and day at home but its not a real easy place to shoot. We try to keep up with weather forecast to plan testing. Sometimes the weather don't corporate and we feel like we need to test ammo for time reasons. That's when we have to fall back on notes. We tested ammo this evening in not so good conditions but the conditions were common so we had notes on ammo we had bought before. When we first started, Tim Miller told me to always have a control lot to compare while testing. A lot that you know well so you can gauge your test lots. This is some of the best advice we have got.
Scott buddy I feel your pain. Our local range is the same way. Flags in all directions. Its burmed on all sides and is like a mixing bowl. If we waited on shooting 2350 here we would never buy ammo. Haha.
Todd

Todd,
Yep, berms......the scourge of the RFBR earth!! My club has 15' right and left berms on a narrow 9 bench range. 4-1/2' berm at 50, same at 100, same at 150 and then a dogleg out to 200 with a steady slope up to about 80' feet for the 200 back stop. Topographical nightmare. I hate to pick the good wind days, but for testing there, you have to. Mixing bowl is an appropriate definition!

I will take note of Tim's advise on a 'benchmark' lot. I appreciate you sharing that. BTW: Please give Tad my congrats on a fine performance at that club tournament.

Later my friend.....Scott

Last edited:
Back