Need a Spotting Scope recommendation

Adamhoward

Hello guys, I need a spotting scope for indoor shooting. My price range is not so much high. I just want to get your personal opinion on what spotting scope is better for me.
Any kind of contribution would be grateful.

Swift

I have a Swift model 841 15x to 60x that I have had for 40 years. I set it out at the super shoot and people use it when there are thousand dollar scopes
avalible down the line. You can find them on ebay from 150 down to 50 if you wait.
Just be sure you put it on a stable tripod like a Sampson, also on ebay.
Bob

What works for me

A friend recommended a Celestron 65mm Ultima Zoom Spotting Scope for use in hunter class. You need a spotter to see the bullet holes even at 100 yds. The Celestron is $155 from Amazon & will resolve bullet holes at 300 yds, the farthest we shoot. There are 80 and 100 mm Celestrons also available.

One thing that’s just as important as the scope is a rigid stand. Tripods all seem to wobble in the wind. The best is to clamp an aluminum angle down to the bench & use a car window clamp on that. Nice & rigid - no wobbling.

Regards,
Ron

I agree on the Celestron. I have one like that for hunter class bench rest and a 100mm model for service rifle. Celestrons tend to be a good value for the money. Natchez Shooters Supply generally has good prices, as does Optics Planet.

If you are shooting position small bore events indoors, you'll want a pole type stand, not a tripod, which will get in the way. Your fellow competitors can advise you best. You may end up paying more for the stand than the scope. I have a Ray-Vin and like it a lot.

need spotting scope

I have a KOWA, which I've had for about 15yrs. I've only ever good things about Celestron scopes, very good quality for the $.

Scope

Hi Adam, the fellows responding are giving good advice. One point that I want to touch on is the range, distance you are going to shoot. Some spotting scopes may not focus to short distances ie. 25yds. The Simons scope I use will focus from 10yds. to infinity and magnify from 20 to 60X.

Bob

i have a question
if he is shooting indoors, will the lighting/type of lights
affect his view ?
would an upgrade to hd glass be advised ?
i don't shoot indoors so no clue.

25-30 power is all that is required for distances of 25-1000yds.
A 45degree eye piece.
A long eye relief eye piece.
A Freeland tripod w/ appropriate head works well for position shooting over the bipod types.

Resolution will be dependent on light &/or mirage conditions.

KOWA

more important than the type of glass is the size = 80mm is about optimum not to big, but plenty of light gathering ability - mine is a Kowa also. it will focus down to 10 meters ( 33 ft) and i can see the .22 holes in the black at 300 yards most of the time ( mirage and some other conditions can make that difficult )

if on a lower priced budget

I think the Celestron recs are on target. As an aside, if you go to a large benchrest shoot and sample the array of spotting scopes set up behind the line, from BARSKA to Nikon and Zeiss and Kowa and Leica and Swarovski you will quickly discover that there is no substitute for quality glass. Quality glass costs money. The choice is yours depending on your budget and needs. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Good luck. --Greg

Last edited:
Hello guys, I need a spotting scope for indoor shooting. My price range is not so much high. I just want to get your personal opinion on what spotting scope is better for me.
Any kind of contribution would be grateful.

I assume that you are shooting 25 yards or less indoor. Even it it is 50 yards a 60 mm scope of 25 power will do the job. I have a Bushnell of that type and it has served me well for 60 years. Outside, I can easily make out 22 holes at 100 yards and in the white at 200 yards. I can easily see four moons on Jupiter and the rings on Saturn. A good stand is a necessity and Celestron is a good brand as are several others. Good 60 mm scopes are plentiful on the used market.

Concho Bill

unertl

If you can find an old Unertl it will be amazing if you put it beside the others and compare it. They are the best in my opinion.

For 25 and 50 yard handgun shooting we used rifle scopes in Bullseye shooting for a very long time.

And not very powerful ones.

Mine was a 10x and it was good for even .22 RF holes at 50 yards.

Thanks for replying to my thread and thanks for your kind words. I hope your suggestion is good for me.
I'm keeping your suggestion in my mind for, get a better spotting scope.

Check out the Bargain Cave

If u have a Cabella's nearby check out the Bargain Cave. I acquired a 12x40 HD Leupold at about 50% of MSRP a few years ago. It was as NIB. I made the offer expecting a counter offer from the manager. To my surprise, the sales person came back with "we're good to go".... saved $100's over FMV. I've made other optic purchases in the Bargain Cave over the years but none at this kind of price.

If u have a Cabella's nearby check out the Bargain Cave. I acquired a 12x40 HD Leupold at about 50% of MSRP a few years ago. It was as NIB. I made the offer expecting a counter offer from the manager. To my surprise, the sales person came back with "we're good to go".... saved $100's over FMV. I've made other optic purchases in the Bargain Cave over the years but none at this kind of price.

Thanks for your suggestion dude.

Back