Neck turning on a mini-lathe

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Tried my hand on neck turning using my 7 X 10 mini-lathe. For my first attempt I decided to trim most of the neck at the .22 diameter of the 220 Russian brass and take off the remaining 2-3 thousandths with my K&M after expanding to 6mm. Am I wasting a step by not taking all of it off on the lathe? I did it this way because I thought I might get better results by expanding a thinner neck. Comments? :confused:

Like Butch I expand and fireform before turning.

You're not going save much effort in the necking up process by making the necks a little thinner I don't think.

Less Work

I know you are already heavilly invested in the thinner necks, but a .269 neck sure makes neck turning a breeze.

When I went to a .269, I went from "absolutly hating neck turning" to "I can almost tolerate neck turning":D..........jackie

Last edited:
adam

Back to your original question - there is no reason that turning necks in a small lathe, in one pass, will not work. You simply need to make one, do the measurements with a bullet seated, then another, until you get the desired results.

The final accuracy will depend on the accuracy of your lathe. Several years ago I bought a really good 6" Atlas for less than $100 and set it up specifically for turning necks. If I turn them on a mandrel I make a new mandrel for each session. It stays in the chuck until I'm done. For lesser quality cases, such as turning necks for live-varmint ammo, I simply chuck the case and use a turner with it's own mandrel such as the K & M.

JMHO

Ray

I stepped into this game three years ago when I bought a used gun at Raton. It is a Grizzly action and came with two barrels w/.262 necks. The owner had a .269 reamer and agreed to open up one of the barrels to that neck size. So I made some brass to fit that. Two years ago I bought two more used guns at Raton, one a LV and the other a HV both Bat actions and barrels w/ .262 necks. Last year I let my desires run roughshod over my wallet and ordered three Kreiger barrels from Bruno, a 6 Beggs reamer w.269 neck from Dave Kiff (on clearance) and 6 Beggs dies from Gene.

I'm not yet ready to do the new barrels as the ones w/.262 necks still shoot better than my capabilities and I'm not confident enough yet in my machining skills to risk butchering expensive barrels. So I find myself needing to make more .262 neck brass even though I would rather be using .269. However, it's getting too cumbersome to maintain brass with different neck diameters and I need to get off the dime and go with one size.

Maybe I should practice chambering with one of the barrels on the Grizzly as I'm not shooting that one much right now.

On a side note, is better to have a separate die set for each gun?

Probably the same way I do

.220 Russian seater die, and .22 caliber bullets. Usually the least expensive, bulk-packaged, FMJ bullets I can find in front of a case full of 322.

Fire them outta the 6mm barrel and your done. Although my barrels are now .268 neck, I used to do it that way with a .262 neck too.

Lisa

Didn't Jackie have an article in one of the Magazines about turning cases on the lathe? Or was it on one of the BR .coms?

If I remember correctly he turned a mandrel to hold the case, then just turned the case neck while the case was on the mandrel. Pulling the case off the mandrel might take a tool of some sort.

Paul

Didn't Jackie have an article in one of the Magazines about turning cases on the lathe? Or was it on one of the BR .coms?

If I remember correctly he turned a mandrel to hold the case, then just turned the case neck while the case was on the mandrel. Pulling the case off the mandrel might take a tool of some sort.

Paul

I found a .308 shellholder that had a threaded stud and hold that in a chuck in the tailstock. This allows the case to spin easily but makes it easy to pull the case off the mandrel.

Back