Neck turning lubricant

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
At one time I used straight STP to lube the expander. That was messy . In his book, Tony Boyer references a Mobil One/STP mix but doesn't give the proportions. Would someone who uses this mix recommend a ratio?

If you find a really easy way to clean the Mobil 1 and STP mixture off of the brass, please let me know. I really like using it, but hate cleaning it up. I've gone back to using Imperial over it.

I haven't tried mixing up a batch yet but I remember when I tried get the straight STP off the brass it was quite difficult. I did a quick inventory in my reloading shed and found RCBS 2 lube, Sinclair lube, Imperial wax, FP 10 and Pro Blend Assembly Lube. Testing the liquid lubes by rubbing on my finger showed that FP 10 had maybe 50% of the viscosity of the other liquid lubes. The other were quite tacky, which could be a good thing. I've got a small batch of brass to neck turn so I think I'll try the FP 10 first as I haven't used it yet. On the thread you pointed me to, a number of people touted the FP-10 so that may be a good answer. I did like the way it felt when rubbed between my thumb and forefinger, very silky.

I just use Hoppe's lubricating oil. Works fine for me; and I turn necks in one pass from 13-14 thousands down to 9 thousands. Just a wipe with a cloth and an inside the neck wipe with a Q-tip works fine. Using a JACO cutter with a 3/8" cutting edge probably helps.

Virg

RCBS clear sizing lube is my favorite. I apply it with a small bore mop to the inside of case necks and smear a bit on the outside before expanding and turning. I use Don Neilson's Pumpkin neck turners with carbide mandrels and use my lathe to supply the power. After neck turning I slosh the cases around in a mixture of acetone and toluene then drain a allow to dry. Leaves the cases sparkling clean and dry, no residue. I turn in one pass at 115 rpm. No problem with heat buildup using carbide mandrels.

Gene Beggs

If you find a really easy way to clean the Mobil 1 and STP mixture off of the brass, please let me know. I really like using it, but hate cleaning it up. I've gone back to using Imperial over it.

Here in WI. a local company makes a solvent called DC-99. the finest de-greaser I know of and easy on the hands, if you cut it with water. I use a 50-50 mix and the lube simply lets go. Put your cases into a plastic container, squish it around some, remove your brass and stand them up on something. I took a board, hammered in 50 finish nails a bit so they drain, and they air dry.
Incidently, on greasy yard engines, spray it on, hose it off, and like new.

Likely no one will agree, but as I use carbide mandrels, I use Flitz as a lubricant. And no, it doesn't seem to wear the cutter in the K&M I use, which has a negative rake. With a positive-rake cutter, maybe it would -- the tool makers amongst us can let us know.

Probably would, over time, wear a steel mandrel.

Everybody has there own and there probably isn't a known lube that won't work.

My personal favorite is Lee Sizing Lube, a white "cream" that comes in a tube. I don't even know what's in it, but it is not oily or greasy, dries to a powdery substance which is totally whisked away with a pass from a nylon bristle brush. Cases do not require cleaning after using it and it is very "slippery".

Well, when I couldn't stand watching any more election results, I went to my reloading shed and started neck trimming some brass. Used FP-10 and it worked well. A drop on the mandrel was all that was needed. Gonna go out and do the second pass in a few minutes. Then I'll see how easy it is to clean up.

Never considered the Lee stuff but it sounds good, especially the clean up. Probably have to give it a try.

Wonder what the market is for once used lubricants?

Wonder what the market is for once used lubricants?

About the same as the market for once-used bore cleaners!

I have tried several things as neck turning lubricants. With a carbide mandrel, they all worked. The main difference between them is the ease of getting them off of the brass. RCBS Case Lube II is a clear, water soluble sizing lube that also works for turning necks, and dissolves in water, the safest solvent of all.

One other detail that is worth mentioning is that when fire forming PPCs with pistol powder and NO BULLET there is a little powder fouling left in case necks that actually helps prevent metal transfer to turning mandrels. Of course this is more of an issue with steel mandrels. I only brush the inside of necks lightly after fire forming, leaving a light and, what appears to be, uniform dusting of powder fouling in the necks. This forms a bit of a slurry with the lubricant that is similar to the particulates in anti-seize compounds.

This also comes into play when fire forming by shooting .22 bullets in a 6PPC barrel. I rough turn to .010 with a relatively loose fitting mandrel before the sub caliber firing, and then lightly brush before expanding and turning to final thickness at 6mm. For those that may be concerned that the brass thickness may be off a ten thousandth because of the fouling, you should consider that it will always be there, because I never clean it all out of the inside of the necks, and one firing leaves a relatively uniform deposit in all the cases ( I hope.).

I never worried too much about getting all the lube out of the case necks. It's all gone after the first firing.

Rem dry lube

A BR shooter years ago told me to spray a cloth with remington dry lube from a spray can. Wipe the mandril of the neck turner or neck expander with it once every 4 to 5 cases. Works very well and no mess to clean up.
Andy.

Back