Neck/Shoulder Sizing

Colcolt save your money, I tried one and sent it back to many plastic parts. Dick if your concentricity reads the same on all your rounds, then you have done the best your equipment will allow. All I look for is the gage moves the same place each time. Those are my record rounds! Al I know .003 is nothing, but for some reason, that was all I have changed and the lift on the bolt seems a lot smoother! I Will let you know if accuracy falls off this May when or matches start. Boyd your right keep buying more tools and dies till you get the right ones that work. A good Gunsmith can remedy that. And Wilbur I'm always trying something new, if your not you don't learn a damn thing!

Joe Salt

Joe,
I don't know where you got the impression that I have operated that way but let me assure you that the main reason that I have gotten new stuff has been as a result of some writing assignments that I have taken on and completed. I have always believed that if one is curious, and has the resources, that it is better to have ways to measure things rather than guess. Also, I have found that there can be some difference in the results that one gets depending on some of the things that are measurable with the right tools. some cases come out of perfectly good sizing setups straighter than others, and I have seen where different seaters give different qualities of results. None of this can be seen by holding loaded rounds up and gazing at them.

Boyd hope you don't think I'm saying something bad, I'm not, I love buying stuff to measure with. You probably wrote about things I've got. We all buy things that sit and collect dust at some point in or shooting corer. So I'm just laughing about everyone looking for the magic BULLET!

Joe Salt

Neck turning in factory rifle

My comment is not related to neck clearance but that was one of the things I tried.... along with every other thing I could think of to get my old Sako 6mm ppc to shoot better. Finally started loading the rounds to the same lenth as the Factory Sako rounds, ended up .040 off the lands and my accuracy came back, same thing happened for my buddy. Sako seems to like the jump for some reason, turning the cases had no effect likely though because these cases were already pretty good?

Rodney

Back