neck bushing size question

rsbhunter

Ok, i'm new to using neck sizing dies that use bushings. If a chambers neck dia is .298, as in the 6.5x284 Win. and the Norma 6.5x284 is .300...(per another post) and the new brass neck dia , both lapua 6.5x284 and Rem 260 is measuring .291 loaded? Everything i read , and all of the help i have gotten says to neck size .002 under a loaded rnd.s od neck dia.That figures out to sizing the neck around .009-.011 each time......is this the norm? Some have said no, but alot of what i read shows these #s (.298 neck chamber) as the spec....been shooting and reloading awhile, and i'm STILL learning new facts every day!!!!! Thanks for any help....rsbhunter

The bushing size really has nothing to do with your chamber size, although there have been some talk that using a bushing die to reduce case necks a large amount, in one step, may not produce the best concentricity. What it comes down to is that the case neck must be reduced in size sufficiently to hold the bullet, and a bushing that is .002 smaller than your loaded rounds is a good place to start. Are you turning your case necks?

OK......................... "If a chambers neck dia is .298, as in the 6.5x284 Win. and the Norma 6.5x284 is .300...(per another post) and the new brass neck dia , both lapua 6.5x284 and Rem 260 is measuring .291 loaded?" ....................therein lies your problem.

I spec my chamber necks at only .002 over loaded round diameter.

al

Neck turning

Yes, i am set up to neck turn...but haven't yet.....as far as spec'ing the neck dia. this was a prefinished bbl to be used for long range hunting and some bench work.....But i still can't fathom why they spec the neck dia. @ .298 and then loaded rounds are .291.......But thanks for the info......still trying to reason this out...rsbhunter

"They" spec stuff that way for a variety of reasons but you will never achieve stellar accuracy using "their" specs just like you'll never get stellar accuracy from any factory setup. You CAN'T, the spec's are too sloppy. No matter "which day it was made." :)

al

The loaded 6.5-284 rounds I have here are Lapua brass(no turn) and 142 SMK bullets. The loaded round measures about .2955...just about perfect for a .298 neck IMO--Mike Ezell

Ooops! Make that .294. I didn't think .2955 sounded right, but some how, I have two loaded rounds, as described, with .2955 neck diameters. I checked 10 more and they were all .294.

Last edited:
neck size

Thanks for the info, the rounds i've checked are 260 Rem virgin brass, and 6.5x284 lapua brass...and there is a difference between them....the 284 brass with a Berger 140 VLD mikes @ .295....which is great...the Rem brass with a 140 VLD, or Nosler 140 Custom Comp. mikes at .291...maybe need to spring for some new lapua 260 brass...Thanks for all the advice....rsbhunter

Back