N130

mturner

Has anyone tested the latest N130? I still have maybe 10 lbs of the older stuff that I've been saving for a good match load. I'm just wondering how the new 1 # containers shoot.

Michael

lol...ask josh

Not just how it shoots, but is it close to the same burn rate as the older stuff. The newer lots of N133 are slower than the older lots. Josh may be shooting the older stuff. All I know is things change. Just want to know if shooters prefer the older or newer lots.

Michael

can you give lot numbers?

I'm looking at the current stuff for sale, so it would be the latest lot #'s that are carried by places like Powder valley. So I don't currently have the lot #'s. How old is the stuff you're shooting in the 30BR? What powder charge is needed to reach the 3000 fps node in the 30BR?

Michael

N130 in 8lb Containers

I believe N130 has the potential to become a more popular powder if it came in 8lb containers. I realize the larger containers were dropped due to lack of popularity, but some things have changed since then. The 30BR has become very popular in VFS. The 30BR is now becoming very popular in Hunter Class with the removal of the minimum capacity rule. Many 6PPC shooters are playing with faster burning powders like LT30, LT32, and the LT31 blend, which may be the best of them all. I have always known that N130 has great potential for the 30 caliber shooters, but have avoided it for the most part due to limited availability.

On the Vihtavuori website, there is a feedback page. I contacted them with the same reasons I mentioned above. I also called Hodgdon, since they are the USA distributor. Maybe if enough people will do the same, they will start offering it in the 8lb container again.

Michael

When I

put together a 30BR for VFS shooting 15 years ago, I started out with H322 and switched to N130. My recollection is that it was available in 2lb jugs then, but not 8 lb ones. It was about $42 for 2 lbs. They were dropped, ostensibly, due to safety regs here in the US??? I do know that 8 lbs in one lb containers costs one over $40 vs. their pricing on 8lb jugs of N133, etc.

H4198 works well so I don't buy N130, given the very significant price differential. Perhaps I should, but lately my shooting is so erratic I don't think I could take advantage of any small accuracy potential in N130, if any exists.

Has anyone tested the latest N130? I still have maybe 10 lbs of the older stuff that I've been saving for a good match load. I'm just wondering how the new 1 # containers shoot.

Michael

I've been mostly using N130 since I started score shooting in 2013. My friend Dean Breeden who sold me my 1st 30BR rifle told me that's all he uses and that's what my barrel liked. I was using mostly lot #596-02. With 35.5 of that lot # with a 115 Ten X bullet I averaged consistently at 3040. My new stuff that I bought early last year from PV lot number 102657 /2.2.2011 averaged 3050. Pretty close being 9 years apart. That was out of a 23" RC HV bbl 17tw. Mike I doubt very much if they will ever offer it in 8lb containers. I talked to somebody at Vihtavuori 2 years ago about that and he told me that N130 is not a big seller. It's not like N133 where they sell a ton of it.

Last edited:
Great

I've been mostly using N130 since I started score shooting in 2013. My friend Dean Breeden who sold me my 1st 30BR rifle told me that's all he uses and that's what my barrel liked. I was using mostly lot #596-02. With 35.5 of that lot # with a 115 Ten X bullet I averaged consistently at 3040. My new stuff that I bought early last year from PV lot number 102657 /2.2.2011 averaged 3050. Pretty close being 9 years apart. That was out of a 22.5" RC HV bbl 17tw. Mike I doubt very much if they will ever offer it in 8lb containers. I talked to somebody at Vihtavuori 2 years ago about that and he told me that N130 is not a big seller. It's not like N133 where they sell a ton of it.

Jim,

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I like things to stay close lot to lot. I will usually take a powder being a tad hotter over cooler. I just hate to see powders not making the velocity they used to make, and then running out of room in the case to go up on the load.

Michael

I am indeed using the one pounders, though I am getting around 2895 fps if memory serves. I cannot complain about how it is shooting, and it is so darn clean I want it to run for office (too bad it is not American).

I just cleaned after 16 rounds of fire forming using 4198, and the barrel was dirtier that a full agg of N130.

I am up to 48 rounds fire formed (using 4198), cleaning every 16. Every cleaning is WAY dirtier than a full agg of N130.

Can you tell I am only working a half day today?

josh,
one indicator of dirty is low pressure.
are you forming with a stout load ??
stout generally gives a nice fire form.

I am up to 48 rounds fire formed (using 4198), cleaning every 16. Every cleaning is WAY dirtier than a full agg of N130.

Josh. N130 is usually cleaner than H4198. Good luck down at Orangeburg. I would of love to went, but I'm at the point where I feel like I'm burnt out. I honestly didn't feel like shooting at the Nationals or last weekend in VT. I got used pretty hard in VT. My mind was wondering and I lost focus at 200 in match 4, and that led to 2 dropped points. Need to take some time off.

Last edited:
Dropped points

Jim,

I was at Las Vegas, shooting my 30-30 against the 30BR's. After three targets at 200 yards in tricky conditions, I heard one of the 30BR shooters say "that guy with the 30-30 is the only guy that is still clean after 3 targets". I probably don't even need to finish the story, but needless to say, I dropped 2 points on my next target. I practically never dropped points in New Braunfels. Shot a 999 out of 1000. Missed one 10 ring at 200 yards.

Michael

Jim,

I was at Las Vegas, shooting my 30-30 against the 30BR's. After three targets at 200 yards in tricky conditions, I heard one of the 30BR shooters say "that guy with the 30-30 is the only guy that is still clean after 3 targets". I probably don't even need to finish the story, but needless to say, I dropped 2 points on my next target. I practically never dropped points in New Braunfels. Shot a 999 out of 1000. Missed one 10 ring at 200 yards.

Michael
That's good shooting Mike. I haven't been using a 30BR even though I have 7 BR rifles. At 200 I'm shooting a modified 30x46. That SOB shoots. Dean Breeden asked me when we were waiting in line to be seated at dinner after the score nationals in Johnstown 2 weekends ago, what do you think is the biggest factor as to why it shoots so well. I said it is the barrel in my opinion. I bought a Hart 16TW and it just flat out shoots lights out. I'm a decent shooter at best. I would love to see what that rifle would do with a great shooter like Dean behind it at 200 yards. As we speak I'm breaking in a new 30BR rifle that I had built and was finished at the beginning of 2014.

Last edited:
josh,
one indicator of dirty is low pressure.
are you forming with a stout load ??
stout generally gives a nice fire form.

I was just trying to demonstrate how clean the N130 is. I know that 4198 is pretty cclean in the grand scheme of powder, I am just continually amazed at how clean the N130 is.

I only shoot N130 in my .222's and never thought of it as clean, just that it shoots awesome in my rifles. The lot I have been using was made in 1995. I was running low so when I saw that Powder Valley finally had some in stock I ordered many 1 pound jugs. It is all made in 2011.......where has it been the last 5 years ?????

I only shoot N130 in my .222's and never thought of it as clean, just that it shoots awesome in my rifles. The lot I have been using was made in 1995. I was running low so when I saw that Powder Valley finally had some in stock I ordered many 1 pound jugs. It is all made in 2011.......where has it been the last 5 years ?????
In Finland.

Back