My custom 3006 at the Range

Ugly human being, nice looking Rifle:D
This is the Rifle I built a few years back from the 721 that just happen to be born the same year as me.......
721 action trued, 1-10 Krieger, 26 inches long, Remington Varmint Taper, Jewel trigger, HS Precision Stock, Pacific Precision SS bottom metal, Nightforce 8x32 scope and mounts.
http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15604&stc=1&d=1418064889

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,099
Last edited:
Very Impressive Jackie!

Hey Bart, I am going to try and make some Matches next year, it all depends on the Shop's workload.

I still have about 10,000 of your boat tails on the 790 jackets, the date on the boxes is '09, I shot some yesterday in my LV, and they seemed to still shoot pretty darned good with a big dose of 133 and giving them a little jump, about .020 I figure..

Are you making 30 caliber bullets now for Varmint for Score?

Last edited:
That is one old rifle, Jackie.
There, that should get you back to earth.

I guess you could say this the Rifle has been "restored", so to speak, with some nice custom touches to enhance it's performance.

About the best I can hope for myself is the undertaker is good with makeup.

Last edited:
Jackie,

Welcome back! I remember those 65bts! They are some killers!

I have just started making some 30 caliber bullets! Let me if you want to play with some! I'll hook you up!

I was tuning with them today. Shot six groups of three shots that agged a 16XX! Last three shot group was an .066. I let my 80 year old neighbor give it a try! He knocked out an .091!

Bart

Wow.....

quite the shooting 06........Nice to see an older action like that reborn....... Makes me want to play around more with my rifle below.

A few years back I picked up a Rem 700 .270 born in December of 65. Just 3 months older than myself. It is actually in really nice shape and still shoots quite well with 140 Nosler Accubonds on top of 58.5 grains of H4831. the finish was beginning to lift so I had a buddy refinish it and it turned out pretty well.

If and when it gets a new pipe it will be in 30-06.

Biggest mistake I made was selling my Sako M995 in 30-06. For a factory rifle it could flat out shoot. Kicked like a mule though. I HATE recoil.

Calvin

quite the shooting 06........Nice to see an older action like that reborn....... Makes me want to play around more with my rifle below.

A few years back I picked up a Rem 700 .270 born in December of 65. Just 3 months older than myself. It is actually in really nice shape and still shoots quite well with 140 Nosler Accubonds on top of 58.5 grains of H4831. the finish was beginning to lift so I had a buddy refinish it and it turned out pretty well.

If and when it gets a new pipe it will be in 30-06.

Biggest mistake I made was selling my Sako M995 in 30-06. For a factory rifle it could flat out shoot. Kicked like a mule though. I HATE recoil.

Calvin

Yeh, the day I bought that old 721 out of a local Pawn Shop turned out to be a real surprise when the barrel code showed it to be manufactured in 1949.
The recoil isn't too bad, but it is a '06, and 61 grns of 4831 does give you a good bump. But the pleasure is seeing those bullets stay close to each other on that target.

hey Jackie.
I was thinking about you and that rifle just a few days ago. An older fella from down the road brought his rem 700, 30-06 over to the shop. He wanted me to zero his scope at 150 yards. He is planning on a pig hunt in Texas early next year.
While shooting that thunder stick, and icing my shoulder, I thought about your rifle. I wondered if you had much of a chance to play with her. Sounds like you have. Good for you!! Good to see you around the board. Keep it going please. Lee

Not bad for an old oil patch machinist!!

Marilyn can drive the camper and you can sleep on the way! (Remember Canastota)

MERRY CHRISTMAS...hope to see you out and about in 2015!!

Welcome back Jackie, no better way than taking out an old project and having it turn out the way it did!

Guys, I have been monitoring the Web Site, but since I have not been that active in competitive shooting as of late, I feel like I didn't have a lot to contribute.

I'm going to chamber up a new 1-18 twist Krieger tomorrow eavening for my 30BR. Heck, I haven't chambered a barrel in over a year.

Back