Muzzle brake clearance

Worker

Bought a PVA shock wave Muzzle brake . 7mm bore ,bought the 30 caliber brake. It measures .332 ,is that to big for a 7 mm bore ?

Took the muzzle brake for granted

Well shot the 30 cal PVA brake on my 7 mag . It worked,but was it as good as it could be beings its .051 over size rather than .020-.030 over bore size ? Didn't feel like it was any better than previous smaller brake but was bore.312 instead of .335. So today i shot the rifle with out any brake . Wow ! That rifle kicks hard,no more taking any brake for granted. Now waiting for another 4 port brake that is bored correctly for a 7mm bore.

well shot the 30 cal pva brake on my 7 mag . It worked,but was it as good as it could be beings its .051 over size rather than .020-.030 over bore size ? Didn't feel like it was any better than previous smaller brake but was bore.312 instead of .335. So today i shot the rifle with out any brake . Wow ! That rifle kicks hard,no more taking any brake for granted. Now waiting for another 4 port brake that is bored correctly for a 7mm bore.

lol!!

The most efficient brake is fitted to a true running barrel then is drilled/bored out to about 0.030"/ side over bullet diameter.

Opening up the brake bore too much reduces the efficiency.

Opening up the brake bore where the brake bore is not perfectly concentric to the barrel bore can have a negative effect on accuracy.

PVA Brake measures .335 and its for a .284 bore . Isn't that too big ?

Sure... change it out. You've been told it'll work fine but you're never gonna' be happy until you get it "right"...... so change it out :)

That's what I'm doing

Watching you tube videos of rifles being shot while being mounted on a sled. Muzzle Brakes and more ( That's they're name) brakes were as good at Terminator brakes at considerably less price. So ordered they'er 4 port self timing.

Watching you tube videos of rifles being shot while being mounted on a sled. Muzzle Brakes and more ( That's they're name) brakes were as good at Terminator brakes at considerably less price. So ordered they'er 4 port self timing.

Break/brake. Their/they’re....

But on a more serious note, I’m willing to bet one wouldn’t feel the difference between a .311” and a .335” brake bore on a .284 rifle in a blind taste test.

I usually go 0.020 over bullet diameter. The Harrel clan also recommend the same tolerance. I guess a little bigger doesn't hurt.

That’s what I use if I’m making one. That said, I know plenty of people that only buy 30 cal brakes so there’s no chance of them putting a 6mm brake on a 30 cal rifle.

If you have a chance check out Roy Bertolatto (sp?) And his posts on muzzle brake design and testing. He seemed to be pretty thorough and reported his conclusions on his website .

Muzzle brakes and More 7mm

Installed the above brand 4 port brake on my rifle,its bore diameter is .304 . Its recoil reduction vs the PVA brake that's bore measured .335 was significantly more on a 7mm WSM....

Back