mounting lathe motor on the floor?!

The old 9" and 10" South Bends were known for smooth finishes and they had single phase AC/DC motors and ran thru belts and a jackshaft.

My totally original 9" Model A has a 1/2 hp bushing bearing AC only motor.

RightSideMachineShop-RS1200.jpg

I've never seen a universal wound (commutator) AC/DC motor on any lathe, ever.

That said, my 'lil 'ol SB does not have any of the finish problems my Taiwanese Gear Head used to have. I suspect it is because of the relatively long flat belt drive that acts as a low pass torque filter. Mine no longer has the leather belt, I replaced it with a serpentine automotive belt (which works much better) laced together with soft stainless wire and machined part finishes didn't change, but it's ability to take a cut sure got better. The automotive belt is the way to go.

BackSideofSplice-1-C-RS.jpg

PulleySideofSplice-1-C-RS.jpg

I've never chambered a barrel with the SB, but I might one of these days just to have done it.

Fitch

It looks to me like the very large 12" or so drive wheel could act as a flywheel to dampen vibrations from the elect motor. Then you have a drive shaft, then you get to the actual drive belt to the lathe. Maybe by the time the driving force gets to the head stock the unwanted 60Hz pulses/vibrations are shunted off/removed from the headstock. Fitch- what about that microwave, snacks, lol??........ joe

It looks to me like the very large 12" or so drive wheel could act as a flywheel to dampen vibrations from the elect motor. Then you have a drive shaft, then you get to the actual drive belt to the lathe. Maybe by the time the driving force gets to the head stock the unwanted 60Hz pulses/vibrations are shunted off/removed from the headstock. Fitch- what about that microwave, snacks, lol??........ joe

And reheathing the coffee that gets cold when I get busy! There is a fridge in the woodshop (next room to the left), but the microwave is in the machine shop. Uh, this is the other side of the machine shop with the lathe I use for barrel work:

LeftSideMachineShop-RS1200.jpg

This lathe and the mill are 3ph. You can just see the idler motor for the converter sticking out from behind the tool chest. I converted the lathe to 3ph for several reasons, the fact that it cleared up some finish issues was an unexpected bonus. I really wanted it for instant reversing when doing metric threads.

I really need to put in an air manifold with drop lines so I don't have to lug that little compressor around. I use it for blowing chips out if chambers before sticking the clean lubed reamer back in there.

The place is a mess, I really need to get it straightened up.

Fitch

The place is a mess, I really need to get it straightened up.

This has to be the quote of the year, lol.... I was wondering how does one get so organized!! Your shop looks very nice....

I clean up about ever 3 months if it needs it or not... the wife says it's the "slobbethian" in me, lol... joe

Back