Most bang for .....? Bullets.

R

rolf

I need to buy comp. bullets in cal. 224 and .30
I don`t compete so it`s more important for me to buy a couple of hundred extra then to find the most accurate one.
If my groups measure .5" or .8" isn`t that big of a deal.
So what do you recommend if I want both accuracy and a good price?
How about Noslers comp. bullet?

Regards//Rolf

Anybody's match bullets will meet your expectations so just shop for price.

The ones I`ve thought about is Sierras 168 HPBT, Noslers Comp same weight and just like you said, Hornadys A-max.
I love Bergers but they are almost twice the price.

//Rolf

Rolf ...

I need to buy comp. bullets in cal. 224 and .30
I don`t compete so it`s more important for me to buy a couple of hundred extra then to find the most accurate one.
If my groups measure .5" or .8" isn`t that big of a deal.
So what do you recommend if I want both accuracy and a good price?
How about Noslers comp. bullet? Regards//Rolf

Based on your criteria, which doesn't seem to be too demanding, Sierra bullets in general or the Sierra Match Kings if you really need a competition bullet, should be just fine. :)

You didn't say what it was you're shooting at, or twist of barrels.
But I like Jayner 22cal 50/52gr flatbase bullets for woodchucks out of a 14tw barrel.
They are very consistant, good grouping, and I smack em to 600yds(which isn't bad for bipod shooting a Cooper in 223rem).
They are reasonably priced, quickly delivered, and offered on the classifieds right here.

Rolf
I agree with Art. Sierra Matchking should do you a fine job and by shopping around you can sometimes find them on sale. I was fireforming cases one day with my 6ppc shooting Nosler Ballistic Tips and they shoot a lot better than I expected. Not as good by far as handmade bullets but in the 1/2 to 5/8 inch area for 5 shots. Thats plenty good for Mr. PD.

Donald

I say buy the Berger bullets. There the closest thing to a true custom bullet there is. If you buy custom made bullets you will have to buy at least 250-300 at a time. With the Berger you can buy 100 at a time. I have never had a rifle that wouldnt shoot a Berger bullet. Sierras are good bullets to but if all of them are like the 107gr you will need a bullet comp to sort them. I think i had something like 5 or 6 different bullet lengths with the last box of 107's i had. I couldnt figure out why 3 bullets would group and the last two wouldnt or visa versa. Try Berger i almost garantee you will like them!!! Lee

Last edited:
The .224 bullet will be shot in my Sako Vixen cal. 222 rem. It has a Lothar Walther barrel with a 1-12" twist.

The cal .30 bullet is for my custom built Rem 700 and the cal. is our very own 308 Norma Magnum.. This one has a Krieger barrel with a 1-10" twist.

Your help is very much appreciated gentleman.

//Rolf

Try the Speer 30 cal 125 TNT these are some of the most accurate factory bullets I have encountered.

+1.... In my 30BR, if I sort the bullets based on length to the ogive - the TNTs performed just as well as the Bergers in 2 different barrels (1:16 and 1:17 twist). I tried the Berger 110s, 125s and 135s. Get the TNT in the 500 bulk packs. Midsouth had them for around $80/500 last year on sale. I stocked up. I saw them at Natchez for $90 something in their last flyer.

Tim

Back