More tuner questions

K

kgcoker

This subject has been discussed on this forum and I have read all the posts (I think). I still have a question.

I am shooting a 2013 Annie BR50. Have been shooting rimfire BR a little over a year. I have found this rifle likes Eley Ultimate about 1060 fps.

Our local rules have not allowed tuners until recently. I purchased a Hoehn and installed it last week.

I then shot several groups as suggested elsewhere on this forum.

The attached group is the best I shot. 10 shots - 50 yards - almost no wind measures about .298.

Now to my question. Do I have the tuner dial in as good as I am going to get it or should I expect better?

The tuner is set to 425.

Should I dial the tuner back to zero and add weight and then start over?

I would appreciate any expert advise as I only know what I have read on this forum and an article in PS.

Thanks.
KG

Attachments

• Tuner 10 shots.jpg
    Tuner 10 shots.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 465
Well..........

kgcoker
I am certainly no expert but..........untill they chime in..... If i was doing it, i think i would shoot 5 rd. groups and start adding weight, with your tuner set where you have it to start with.This is as long as you are convinced that the ammo you have is the best. your group of .298" is ok [esp. for 10 rds.] but not really competitive. I think it is a good start however. Another thing i have heard is that 250 on a tuner often "seems" like a good place to start? You will ofcourse need to shoot over wind flags no matter how" almost no wind" it is.
Anyway,certainly not trying to discourage you,just think you have a bit more work to do.
Colt.45

Is that shot using wind flags? If not your leaving out a very important tool for tuning.

I am also shooting a Annie 2013 in a McMillan stock. I have a hohen tuner on my barrel and I am only at 143 for tuner setting with no weights screwed on. I am shooting Eley Match at 1053 fps.

Bill

More Tuner Questions

kgcoker
I am certainly no expert but..........untill they chime in..... If i was doing it, i think i would shoot 5 rd. groups and start adding weight, with your tuner set where you have it to start with.This is as long as you are convinced that the ammo you have is the best. your group of .298" is ok [esp. for 10 rds.] but not really competitive. I think it is a good start however. Another thing i have heard is that 250 on a tuner often "seems" like a good place to start? You will ofcourse need to shoot over wind flags no matter how" almost no wind" it is.
Anyway,certainly not trying to discourage you,just think you have a bit more work to do.
Colt.45

I had two wind flags. I also had a pretty good group at a setting of 225. I'll work on that some more.

You were mentioned in the PS article I referred to in my previous post.

Are you the same Colt 45 that is a SASS member?

Thanks,
KG

More Tuner Questions

I am also shooting a Annie 2013 in a McMillan stock. I have a hohen tuner on my barrel and I am only at 143 for tuner setting with no weights screwed on. I am shooting Eley Match at 1053 fps.

Bill

My barrel is a 690 in length.

What barrel length are you shooting?

Thanks,
KG

when i set up my Hoehn tuner(not on an Annie) i set it at 250m and shot it with no wieghts then added the 3 oz and shot again and so on till i had 12 oz on it and thats where it shot the best. then i started with the hopewell method for tuning and settled on the 100-200 range for my tuner. been fine tuning it as time allows.

kg..........

Hi again. Yes i think that was the article where Hoke mentioned my trying to tune with the mid barrel tuner? Right at the moment i am set at 200 on the tuner with a 2 oz. bloop tube and 7.1 oz.of weights. Next test i will try 7.6 oz. of weight. I shoot a Hongisto 40x with Broughton 17" twist.
No i am not Colt.45 on SASS site. Any help i can offer you....feel free to ask.
Colt.45

My barrel is a 690 in length.

What barrel length are you shooting?

Thanks,
KG

Thanks for the information. I went to the range today and it was windy.
I used your settings using 1059 and 1075 fps Elely EPS.

The setting you use worked very well. I shot both velocities , small groups and no scope adjustment.

Added weight to the tuner and accuracy went away.

I will do some more work in the future. Your initial setting were a big hellp.

Thanks,
KG

KG
Are your using a chronograph while your testing?
Lynn

Not yet. I have in the past for centerfire testing. I've ordered a set of good set of wind flags and hoping for some calm winds to try to do some serious testing.

This rimfire is fairly new to me and I'm still very much in the learning stage.

Thanks,
KG

Thanks to all of you that answered my post.

I have shot the tuner at 450 -250 - 150 and really can't tell the difference.

I still get some verticle on occasion. Most of the shots do not have verticle, then lookout, here comes one.

All of the above worked well with the 450 and 150 shooing the best.

The setting in the 300 range did not work as well as the above settings.

When I add weight to any of these settings it seems to hurt accuracy.

Does anyone know what the approx. "weight" change of moving the tuner setting from 100 to say 200. Does that equal 1 oz or 2oz etc.?

Does any have and approximation?

Thanks in advance for your help.
KG

Personally, if it was me, I would have left my tuner alone after shooting that group you attached in your first post.

As for vertical, you are always going to get some sort of vertical, can't be helped, what you are looking for is the least amount of vertical string. Your group showed very little vertical.

As for weights, I cant tell ya what turning out a full 100 is in oz's, but if you add weight you have to back it down. You had a good group without a weight so don't worry about it. Lots of people are shooting tuners without weights. To me they ain't necessary unless you max out your tuner and you still ain't getting good groups.

Just my opinion,
Bill

Thanks -

I'm just not comfortable yet that I have the tuner set to the "best" setting.

Regards,
KG

Back