Montana 1999 SS SA

Rustystud

I purchased a Montana 1999 SS SA to build a .243 for a customer. I did not check the threads for alignment with the boltrace before Turning and threrading and chambering the barrel. When I finished with the barrel tennon and screwed the action on to do the final headspacing The barrel shoulder met at the top of the action but had a gaping .022 gap between the shoulder and the action face. I mounted the action on a mandrell and ran a indicator on the face of the action and it only had .003 TIR I made a 4.0' tendon stub with a 2B fit to the action. When inserted it indicated a .040 TIR at 1.0" from the action face. The bolt had rough edges beside the cocking piece that caught when the bolt was cocked. The claw extractor had a tit sticking out on the front side. There was unfinished piece on the other side of the extractor that required it be filed down.
This was the 5th Montana 1999 action I have used and by far it was the least finishest.
If someone is thinking of purchasing one of these actions be prepared to make some improvements.

Nat Lambeth

Nat, sounds like you have some extra work cut out for you to be able to get the barreled action or rifle out the door.

Yes, more work

Mike:

I have a customer coming today to pick it up. I put the action in a truing jig with a mandrel out the front. I dialed it in and bored it out to 1 1/16 inches then and recut the threads 16 tpi. I had to wack off the first barrel tenon and return and thread it also.

Two steps, I had not planned on. This want happen again, you can read between the lines. There is suposed to be a CNC outfit in Texas that is making both CM and SS pre-64model 70 clones and 98 Mauser clones that are not investment cast.

Nat Lambeth

Does working this out with the mfg. before airing it here not apply to Montana Rifle Company? If it was a Bat or Kelbly action you'd be tarred and feathered for this post. I've used several Montana actions without any issues. If they won't work with you, give em' hell.--Mike

What Nate doesn't understand about this action is that the face of the action is not intended for the barrel to shoulder on it.
This action has a cone bulkhead built into it that allows for the barrel to lock against and makes fitting the barrel to this action much easier than the model 70 action. The action has the cone integral to it with the extractor slot cut in it so when you fit a barrel to this action there is no need to cut an extractor slot or to cone the end of the barrel because all that stuff is built into the action. When a barrel is properly fit to a 1999 Montana action you should be able to get a shim between the barrel shoulder and the face of the action. There should be no contact to the action face. The barrel should bottom against the cone bulkhead area inside the action.
This is copied from their web site.

"The action has been designed to incorporate the Mauser 98 style inner collar ring that includes an extractor cut. This feature not only increases the overall strength of the action but also allows for the elimination of extractor cuts and cone breeching within the barrel."

The barrel is supposed to sit on this inner collar ring and not the face of this action. I've done many of them this way and they are all straight and true when set up properly.

It would really help if the gunsmith knew how to properly fit a barrel to this action.

You should have to replace your customer's action with a new one as you had no reason to alter it when you did not know how a barrel is supposed to fit on it.

Paul

Last edited:
I don't think the issue was with the front face of the action, it was with the threads not being in line with the boltway.

Further Reply...

mwezell:

I have discussed the action problems with Montana. That has not been an issue. Time was my issue as i had not planned on having any issues and was planning on having the rifle complete before the customer arrived.

Paul:

I have done a number of Montana(s), Winchesters (pre and post 64), Kimbers, Dakotas, Mausers, Remingtons, Savages, Customs, and clones. You don't know my skill set or background. I I suggest you read my post more carefully. Your comments don't even address the issue.

Wayne Shaw:

Thank you

Nat Lambeth

Nat, Lets say you butted the barrel up tight against the inside shoulder and left a .022" gap at the front of the receiver ring on one side of the action. Your customer picks up the rifle and sees the 22 thousandths gap on one side of the receiver face. I guarantee you'd be getting it back, no matter how well it shot.

Further reply

Mike:

There was not a concentric .022 gap, it was only on one side. The action thread was indexed upward.

I asked my self what would Mike Bryant do? And I did not send the action back with please check this out.

I set it up in and action jig, dialed it in and now it is a 1.0625 X 16 tpi that is aligned with the bolt race. Plenty of pot metal left.

I also had to debur the extractor claw, and lap the bolt it was binding under the rear bridge.

This will be my last Montana 1999.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
Mike:

I asked my self what would Mike Bryant do? And I did not send the action back with please check this out.

I set it up in and action jig, dialed it in and now it is a 1.0625 X 16 tpi that is aligned with the bolt race. Plenty of pot metal left.

I also had to debur the extractor claw, and lap the bolt it was binding under the rear bridge.

This will be my last Montana 1999.

Nat Lambeth

This thread saved me from ever doing my first Montana 1999.

Thanks!
Fitch

Mike:

I have a customer coming today to pick it up. I put the action in a truing jig with a mandrel out the front. I dialed it in and bored it out to 1 1/16 inches then and recut the threads 16 tpi. I had to wack off the first barrel tenon and return and thread it also.

Two steps, I had not planned on. This want happen again, you can read between the lines. There is suposed to be a CNC outfit in Texas that is making both CM and SS pre-64model 70 clones and 98 Mauser clones that are not investment cast.

Nat Lambeth

By chance, do you have an address & name for the above mentioned Texas outfit?

Thanks.

Jim

What Texas outfit are you speaking of? Mike Bryant is listed under gunsmith on the home page of the forum. Click on gunsmith.
Butch

Butch and Jim:

There is an outfit in Texas that is making or marketing a true CNC Mauser clone and/or pre-64 Winchester Clone. I saw their add in a magazine or on the internet. It may have been in a SCI or Shooting Magazine that I don't regularly subscribe to. I am still looking.
Nat Lambeth

Here are a couple, not from Texas though, copy and paste

http://www.empirerifles.com/Technical%20Discussion.htm
http://custommausersbygma.blogspot.com

Last edited:
The first url is incorrect, missing a letter. I fixed it. http://www.empirerifles.com/Main.htm
The tricky part about their site is that the links at the bottom, to other pages on their site, run off the RH side of the page, so you won't see them all unless you look, by using the "slider" at the bottom of the page. the second URL is to a page that is an interview. If you want to take a look at the web site you will have to Google the manufacturer's name. I did,and in the course of my search I ran across what may be the manufacturer of these high end square bridge actions. Here is a link to one of their pages. http://www.satterleearms.com/intermediate.htm
They also make 98s. I just thought that you might be interested in just how exotic and expensive thing can get in this high end market.

Last edited:
Boyd,
I just sold my Satterlee receiver. It was a Mauser clone with a Mod 70 Winchester trigger. It was out of 17-4 stainless. Stu is a true artist, but is just impossible to work with on a delivery date. A friend in Australia paid up front for 2 receivers and it took 6 years. I'll post a pic tonight. I would still like to know of anybody in Texas doing them.
Butch

Last edited:
Boyd, I didn't hotlink thinking it was against the board rules to hotlink to a non-sponsor business.

6 years, boggles the mind. I checked the price, $6500 for an action. I'm still laughing.

Back