Modifying a Ruger M77...

T

texan4life

I'm new to this forum so I haven't gone searching for the answers to this question but I'd like to get into f-class or any other type of long range shooting. Is it worth having my Ruger M77 (7mm Rem Mag) rebarreled and a better trigger installed for this type of shooting?

In my opinion you will be better served in selling the M77 outright and buying the cheapest Remington 700 or Savage bolt action you can find.... a used and abused pawn shop special would be great. I personally would hold out for a 700.

OR

sell the ruger and go buy a used gun already set up.

OR

sell the Ruger and put the money towards a new Stiller Tac308 action. Start right.

I wouldn't spend money on the M77

opinionsby

al

Have to agree with Al. A Ruger 77 is a good hunting action, and can be made into a good and sufficiently accurate live varmint rifle, but there are better actions to start with for a serious match rifle. A Remington or Savage action is more easily bedded and easier to work on than the Ruger. A custom action is another answer and after paying to have the Remington or Savage trued and worked over to be as straight and "good" as a custom action cost nearly as much, but without the resale value.

I agree with Larry.
Other than a barrel and trigger you will find the 77 stock isn't quite as good for belly shooting as a lot of others.
But it would never hurt your 77 to get a new barrel.
If some joker was out there selling porcupine ass to make barrels out of, Ruger would buy it.

Ted

What I tell guys who want to have Ruger's rebarreled is that if it shot well originally, then it's worth having it rebarreled. If it never shot well, get rid of it. I've trued a few Ruger's single point rethreading or did do one with a Manson tap (it took one to ruin the tap), enough to decide not to ever do anymore of them. It's very hard to decide how to set them up to get them running true when it's difficult to find a spot on the bolt running true enough to indicate them. They are what they are investment cast receivers and bolts which make a functional hunting rifle, but very seldom a very accurate long range rifle. They do come up with an accurate one every once in awhile and those are the ones that will benefit by rebarreling.

I agree with Mike- they are very hit and miss. A guy in town had some blocks made up that replace the angled Ruger recoil lug with a straight one. He claims that once bedded and the stock bolt pulling perpendicular to the action, they shoot quite well.

I have had a couple that shot pretty good but never anything that would consistently shoot 3/4 MOA 3-shot groups. They would shoot an occasional good one but certainly not good enough for any kind of long range competition use.

Back