Model 70 modification help

B

big k

:(I have a problem with a Winchester model 70 Clasic in 30-06 with a claw extractor bolt and need help.

The problem Is that this rifle has a detachable box magazine , the magazine is broken and I know of no way of fixing it. To compond the problem as far as I can tell, after inquiring everywhere, there Is not another magazine available on earth. So it looks like my only options are to either use the rifle a single shot :>{ or to modify it to a trap door Mouser style magazine.

If I do this, Do I,

1 Will I Need to and can I modify the stock, or do I need to buy a new stock?
2. What parts would I need to purchase, I have looked at the parts list and am confused as to which parts to use for my model caliber and Claw extractor bolt.

If anybody has any Ideas or sugestions I would sure appreciate them.

This is a fine shooter and would hate to loose the use of it

Big K

Keep Looking

To compond the problem as far as I can tell, after inquiring everywhere, there Is not another magazine available on earth.

I would not give up on finding a magazine. Keep looking. Someone, somewhere at a gunshow has one sitting on his table.

I called winchester they sold all of their parts to western gun parts in Canada.
when I called them and they were sold out.
I checked all of the used gun parts that I knew of or anybody who could give me a lead from Main to Texas with no luck.
I also called all of my friends around the country and asked them to check for me at the gun shows when they went.
Deffinately I would rather find another Magazine but I have run out of places to call.
I can't beleave that I am the only one who has had this problem since everybody that should have replacements is sold out.

There are differing degrees of "broke and can't be fixed". Someone somewhere may be able to fix it but it is kinda hard to tell without looking at it. More details?

Try Jack First and see if they can help you on the parts you need. I'm sure you can find them on a web search. I don't have the phone number or address for them here. They have had parts when other companies were out of stock on them. I never thought there would be a time when there was trouble finding Winchester parts, but I hated seeing when they disappeared from Brownell's parts list.

There are differing degrees of "broke and can't be fixed". Someone somewhere may be able to fix it but it is kinda hard to tell without looking at it. More details?

Attached are pictures of the Magazine

The problem is that the flat spring that holds the front of the bullet guide in place is broken at the point were it is folded over and spotwelded to the box.

The only way to get into the box is to pry the front edge of the base peace at the bottom of the box and folded under the box out so that the whole box assy slides out of the base.

It definately wasn't made to be taken apart.

Attachments

• HPIM0148.jpg
    HPIM0148.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 274
  • HPIM0149.jpg
    HPIM0149.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 246
  • HPIM0150.jpg
    HPIM0150.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 231
  • HPIM0151.jpg
    HPIM0151.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 239
The phone # I posted is from an invoice dated 07/08/2008.
A client ordered the parts and had them shipped to me. The packing slip is labeled Browning/Winchester and there is a US in Missouri and Canadian address.
Parts I got are for a new M70 and include:
Mag Box SS mag
bolt stop
follower
Magazine spring
Guard screws

I'm not sure when you called, but these were shipped recently.

My client is in Iraq on active duty. I don't know if they gave him preferential treatment? They should!

I want to thank all of you that replied

I found a DBM on gun broker

I have been looking for one since last november and I think they were the only I had not tried.

Big K

Back