Minimum ES

W

wvredneck

I like to burn you guys ear about what the smallest ES i can get buy with as long as my groups are respectible to be competitive at 1000yd .
thanks stan

I think the way to find the answer would be to put your high and low velocitys into a ballistic program and see what the difference is on the target. Then compare that to the winning group sizes from match results.

Stan

I think a better question might be, how much accuracy can I give up to keep my ES, SD, and AD as small as possible. Too many shooters will swear by a low Sd even though they may actually get better groups with higher velocity spreads. There are many reported cases of high Sd readings giving the best 1000 yard groups. Enough of them to make you think it's not imaginary. Strive for low numbers but always pick the combination that makes the smallest groups, regardless.

JMHO

Ray

target 1 4-4-11.jpgtarget 2 4-4-11.jpgpractice target 1-25-10 resized.jpg

if at all possible, do your final tune at 1000 and look for low vertical. i try not to get caught up in crono results, but i do like to know the velocity when i finally do reach a good tune. the little bit i have ran my good stuff over a crony, it is in the ballpark of 5 over 2, and never really worse than 8 over 3. remember in the scoring shed, they are measuring group, not es.
tom

Well i should have ask how high of a es can i live with yes those are good looking targets Tom what yardage are you shooting these groups if it is a 1000 i want your gun.Thanks alot for the input i seem to have consistent grouping load but my spreads is as high as 17 Es.
thanks again Stan

Stan, I think Ray has it right. ES and SD are things you look at when your groups aren't tight (or scores aren't good), not things you look at before hand. For me, who does most of my load development at 100 yards, ES and SD are things I note just in case that good 100 yard load shows vertical at 1,000. I know (though a few disagree) if a load is bad at 100 yards, it won't get any better as distance increases. The opposite is not always true: a fine 100 yard load may show vertical at 1,000. If that happens, working on SD may improve it. May not, too.

To answer your question, use a ballistics program. Keeping everything the same except for velocity, note the differences in drop at 1,0000 yards. That shows you the the difference from velocity alone. Now we know that some compensation is available from "tuning." If you're really out of tune, the vertical spread will be higher than what's predicted by the ballistics program. And if you're in tune, the vertical spread will be lower.

So it becomes a matter of testing.

To go at it the other way, trying to get a low SD/ES, you may achieve *that* result and still have a poor load. It's happened too many times. I remember when Steve Shelp wasted a lot of time with VV170 in his .338 because it gave him such good SD numbers. But the groups were big. When he went to H-1000, his SD went up, but the groups shrank.

of course theyre at 1000, but i'm not quite done using my guns yet. i only posted them because the vert is so low, to expect vert in the zeros consistently might be asking a lil much. keeping it in the 2's is doable though, and i demand it or the barrel goes away. consistent grouping is all we can ask for, the paper dont lie, but sometimes a crony can.
later, tom

Back