Mid-Barrel Tuners

Fred J

Do any of the Mid-Barrel tuner shooter, loosen the screws while in storage, and then re-adjust them before you go to your next shooting session? I've noticed, the mounting screws seem loose after the barrel sets in the safe or gun case for a while, and I can almost remove them by hand.

Mid-barrel tuners have a plastic between outer ring and barrel don't they? If this takes a set after some time it simply means the manufacturer has chosen the wrong material for this application, or he is overstressing it when clamped. Or perhaps you are applying it to a barrel that is too large.

Mid Bed Turner

Fred no I dont use a mid turner but I think maybe your barrel taper might be causing the turner to slip during a shoot.I would mark the barrel with a witness line at the end of the mib bed turner end.Just a thought Good Luck

I don't know which one you are using, but the one I have is a Heinrich(sp?) and it has some sort of spongy material in the inside of the halves. This stuff sticks so good that you have to completely unscrew all the bolts to change postion because it won't "slide" on the barrel by just loosening the bolts. So I don't see how it could possibly flop around on the barrel, maybe other manufacturers have a different method? Thanks, Douglas

Not Floppy

The tuner is not floppy around like a loose goose, just the screws get loose. I realize, that everything soft and spring will take a set, but does it effect the tuning? To remove them, I have to completely remove the screws, and carefully peal the halve off the barrel. This was the first year I used the mid-barrel tuner in conjunction with a muzzel device, and from the looks of my scores, it didn't help for too long. They would shoot very good initially, but the groups would open up after a few weeks of shooting. That's when I noticed the screws were loose. If I were to re-tighten them as the instruction state, it would just compress the inner material even more, and the groups would stay the same, no improvement. Anyone that has used them, have this same proble. So far, it appears the comments have come from nonusers, except Douglas.

Who.........

in the world WOKE UP pacecil??? It was Soooooo nice the last few weeks without him!:D
Colt.45

Fred J, your last reply prompted me to check my rifle with the Heinrich, and guess what, both screws were as loose as a goose?! You learn something new if you listen enough to what others are saying, thanks. The rifle in question, a factory 40X, has spent the entire 2008 sitting in the locker, not fired one time this year. My intention was to remove the thing anyway this coming year, not for any particular reason other than I got a set of VonAhrens weights for it I want to try out. But this loosening screws thing has enlightened me even further, not good, could cause more problems than it's worth. Thanks, Douglas

The constant vibration of the barrel causes the screws to gradually back out. Do you ever have the problem with the jags in your cleaning rods coming out when you travel with them in the back of your car/truck? Same thing.

Not always

Ken:
I also had one that was in the safe that did the same thing. Hadn't been used in over six months. It was tight when it went into the safe.

Are the bbls tapered or straight?
Maybe they would hold on a straight?
Just a thought. I hope so, mine is going to be straight and am going to try
a mid-tuner.

Makes no differance

It is not the tuner that is moving, just the screws seem to get loose over time. The tuner appears to be firmly glued in place. I have them on both tapered and staight barrels. Maybe I should just locktite the screws after installation and see it they still loosen up.

Mid Barrel Turner

Fred I would use a higher grade screws Maybe the screws are to soft .Be carefull not to pull to tight on the threads,could mess them up.Loctite would be the last resort for me ,Heated screwdriver,or allen wrenches some times dont work to well and end up using heicoils on damage threaded holes Good Luck

Not the screws

There is no way, that I'm stretching the screws. Most socket head screws are of Grade 8 Quality. Maybe Nail Polish instead of Locklite. You wouldn't need heat to break it loose.

Mid barrel dampners

As mfg of the most popular and best dampner on the market I have failed to get word out to super glue the socket heads in place against the side of the dampner to keep it from backing out. It is then easily removed with an allen set. if for some reason you should wish to remove it. Always be sure not to over tighten it and follow supplied directions with it. If there are any further questions I will be glad to try and answer them. you can reach me at cspss@att.net or tele# 913-649-7658 Best regards Charles Scott

I not only use Blue Locktite on the screws, which is designed to be easily removed without heat, I also use high-strength Locktite between the barrel and tuner. My muzzle tuner doesn't have any plastic material.

If the tuner is to come off, loosening the screws should start it to break free and a few light taps with a wooden mallet should pop it free. I probably will never have the need to remove it, however. The rifle is shooting too well.

Picher

Not the same tuner

Picher:
I'm just referring to the Mid-Barrel designs. On the Muzzle tuners, a little powdered resin on the muzzle end before snugging up the clamping screws, will help keep the muzzle tuners from slipping on a tapered barrel. Never had one fall of since I started doing that. I rarely use more than 10 inch pounds when snugging the screws on my muzzle tuners.

This thread made me want to check my mid-barrel tuner - the screws were a little loose!!! Not to the point of falling out, just a little loose. The tuner has been on this rifle since Aug, 2008 and I shoot 100-200 rounds every week throughout the year (nice weather in Houston). It's a straight barrel (stainless). Another item to add to my checklist before a competition!!! Thanks for the great initial question and input from the the posters...

Back