Michigan Rimfire BR Schedule of Matches - Updated Jan. 31

J

Joe Haller

I am adding a list of match contacts for our Michigan Matches.
Not complete yet. If you have any additions or corrections, post them at the bottom of this thread.
I'll add they up here later. We could use some maps too, in JPEG format.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hillsdale Rifle Club - Chuck McNett Sr. - cfmcnett@comcast.net
Holton Rimfire -http://internationalbenchrest.com/ranges/04club/holton.htm
Isabella County - Rimfire - Steve Robbins and Harry Ross - No Schedule yet.
Iosco County - Rimrfire - Tom Majewsk - tmajewski2@yahoo.com
Mecosta Rimfire - Mike Worthington - benchrest47@yahoo.com
Soo - Rim & Centerfire - Joe Haller - - hallermac@aol.com
Isabella County - ? - Steve Robbins and Harry Ross - No Schedule yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michigan 2011 Rimfire BR Schedule of Matches - Updated Jan. 31
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr. 3 HillsDale Rifle Club - ARA
Apr. 16 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club - ARA
Apr. 17 Soo BR Rimfire 25 & 50 yds USBR Target

May 1 HillsDale Rifle Club - ARA
May 14 Holton Gun & Bow - ARA
May 14 Soo BR Rimfire 25 & 50 yds USBR Target
May 28 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club - ARA

June 5 HillsDale Rifle Club - ARA (Lynn Alber tourmanent)
June 11 Holton Gun & Bow - ARA
June 12 Soo BR Rimfire 25 & 50 yds USBR Target
June 18 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club - ARA

July 3 HillsDale Rifle Club - ARA
July 9 Holton Gun & Bow - ARA
July 9 Soo BR Rimfire Metallic Silhouette 60 to 200 yds NRA 1/5 size animals
July 10 Soo - BR Rimfire 25 & 50 yds USBR Target
July 16 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club - ARA

Aug 7 HillsDale Rifle Club - ARA
Aug. 13 Holton Gun & Bow - ARA
Aug 13 Soo BR Rimfire Metallic Silhouette 60 to 200 yds NRA 1/5 size animals
Aug 14 Soo BR Rimfire - 25 & 50 yds USBR Target Mavis Haller Memorial
Aug. 20 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club - ARA

Sept 10 Holton Gun & Bow - ARA
Sept 10 Soo BR Rimfire - Metallic Silhouette 60 to 200 yds NRA 1/5 size animals
Sept 11 Soo BR Rimfire - 25 & 50 yds USBR Target
Sept 17 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club - ARA

Oct. 1 Soo BR Rimfire - Metallic Silhouette 60 to 200 yds NRA 1/5 size animals
Oct. 2 Soo BR Rimfire - 25 & 50 yds USBR Target
Oct. 2 HillsDale Rifle Club - ARA
Oct. 8 Holton Gun & Bow Club Tournament - ARA
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about those dates for Hillsdale, Isabella Co. & Mount Pleasant?

There must be other clubs here in Michigan that are running Rimfire BR matches: Maybe not Sanctioned Matches, but BR matches never the less. I think they belong on this schedule.

Anyone here know of a club that runs or is planning to run matches this year? Please give us the information.

Joe Haller

Last edited by a moderator:
Francis, It's been that way for the years I've been competing ....4 or 5 or 6. But they are many hours away from each other.....many. If you live inbetween, decide to shoot sanctioned or outlaw. It will be fun either way. Great crowd at Holton, I'm sure of the same at the UP. Pick your poison. All would love see you once this year!

John M. Carper

As John said . . .

"Pick your poison . . . it will be fun either way". We don't have a lot of down state shooters come UP to our shoots here at The Soo. I could count on two hands and a couple of toes, the number of you guys who have come UP for our Rimfire Matches in the last dozen years. That's how long we have been running our RF matches on the 3rd Sunday from May to October.

Hey! We like you guys dat live below da bridge. If we could attract more of you UP, I think we would be willing to change some of those third Sunday matches.

Seems there has not been a lot of effort put into Michigan Match Coordination in the past. This schedule is a start. Maybe we can do better next year.

Joe Haller (Mr. Frosty)

With the busy schedule at Holton, I am locked in to the second Saturday of the Month. And sometimes I have been bumped off the schedule for a NBRSA match that happens to be scheduled for the second Saturday of the month.

As Joe and John says we are many miles apart, and I hold a sanctioned ARA match, Joe an outlaw match. I cannot remember, and I have been shooting ARA at Holton, since the late 90s, with a brief period of no matches being held at Holton, ever having an individual from the UP shoot at one of our matches.

I guess based on my experiences and the distance, the limited amount shooting time in MI we will always have scheduling conflicts, such as these.

Good shooting to everyone.

Bill

Info

Bill at Holton, are you open to the public ?

How many benches do you have ?

How many shooters to a typical shoot ?

What is cost per card ?

Where is your website ?

Are you ARA sanctioned ?

Any other info you can offer...???

Thanks

Bolero

Last edited:
YES ARE MATCHES ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
WE HAVE 30 COVERED BENCHES -FOR RIMFIRE I USE THE CENTER 14
SHOOTERS VARY FROM AS LOW AS 10 TO HIGH OF 20
COST PER CARD IS 4 - I RUN A CASH OPTION FOR 1 PER CARD TYPICAL SHOOT 20
NO WEBSITE - CAN CONTACT ME AT billwheel@aol.com
WE ARE ARA SANCTIONED
WE HAVE CAMPING FACILITES ON SITE
I USUALLY OPEN THE RANGE ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON B4 THE SHOOT - UNLESS OTHERWISE RESERVED
WE HOST THE MI STATE TOURNAMENT EVERY OTHER YEAR AND I WILL HAVE 2 ONE DAY SHOOTS ON THE SAME WEEKEND
WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOU AND YOUR FREINDS COME OUT AND SHOOT - FIRST MATCH IN 2ND SAT OF MAY
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK DIRECTLY 616-897-7711

It's true what none of our Yooper rimfire shooters have been to Holton. Back when we had CF Benchrest going UP here in the last Century, we had a half dozen CF shooters who would go down to Holton. I was at couple of SuperShoots and a National Championship at Kelby's range, but never at Holton. Shot CF at Harrison once.

Back about 4 years go, Bill & Mark Jones shot RF at Mecosta.

I would be willing to work around the Holton dates, for a chance to get some of you guys UP over the Bridge. In July, August, September & October we have two day events: Benchrest Metallic Silhouette on Saturday (Out to 200 yards) and our "Outlaw" UBBR Match on Sunday. (25 & 50 yards).

August 13-14 is our big weekend. Silhouette on Saturday and the Mavis Haller Memorial Match on Sunday. We give out about $1500 in shooting related prizes at that Memorial Match. My wife Mavis passed away 6 years ago. She was my shooting partner for 45 years.

YES ARE MATCHES ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
WE HAVE 30 COVERED BENCHES -FOR RIMFIRE I USE THE CENTER 14
SHOOTERS VARY FROM AS LOW AS 10 TO HIGH OF 20
COST PER CARD IS 4 - I RUN A CASH OPTION FOR 1 PER CARD TYPICAL SHOOT 20
NO WEBSITE - CAN CONTACT ME AT billwheel@aol.com
WE ARE ARA SANCTIONED
WE HAVE CAMPING FACILITES ON SITE
I USUALLY OPEN THE RANGE ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON B4 THE SHOOT - UNLESS OTHERWISE RESERVED
WE HOST THE MI STATE TOURNAMENT EVERY OTHER YEAR AND I WILL HAVE 2 ONE DAY SHOOTS ON THE SAME WEEKEND
WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOU AND YOUR FREINDS COME OUT AND SHOOT - FIRST MATCH IN 2ND SAT OF MAY
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK DIRECTLY 616-897-7711

Thanks for the info Bill, I plan on being there 5/14 barring any upsets...

I would come up Friday and spend the night...I'll give you a call when closer to the date...

Bolero

I have added a list of Contacts for our Michigan Matches in the first post of this thread. Here is a copy of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cadillac Rimfire - Bob Hoard - hoard@netonecom.net
Holton Rimfire - Bill Wheeler - billwheel@aol.com
Iosco County - Rimrfire - Tom Majewsk - tmajewski2@yahoo.com
Mecosta Rimfire - Mike Worthington - benchrest47@yahoo.com
Soo - Rim & Centerfire - Joe Haller - - hallermac@aol.com
Isabella County - ? - Steve Robbins and Harry Ross - No Schedule yet.
Western Wayne in Plymouth - Rimfire - ?
If you know of any additions or corrections, post them below in this thread.

We could use some maps too. You got one of your range in JPEG format?

Thanks for the contacts list Joe, appreciated...

I don't see anything for Hillsdale...?

WWCCA in Plymouth is only doing CenterFire Precision BR matches 98% 6ppc, not yet into 22 Rimfire BR.

B

Joe: Cadillac quit shooting ARA when the 09 season was over. They are still ARA sanctioned but do not hold any matches.

Mike

Hey Gordon!

How ya holding up in this Michigan Winter? Used your jumper cables yet?

Should warm up down there in the Mitten in another month. UP here maybe 6 weeks.

Our first RFC "Outlaw Match" on that USBR target is scheduled for Sunday, April 17th. It's still gon'a be cold UP here by then.

I would recommend someone use to that California weather, should ease into our Michigan Spring shooting by starting out at Mecosta Rod & Gun on Saturday the 16th.

Besides, it's a shorter trip.

We want to take you up on that offer to shoot your airgun: Maybe in May or June?

Mr. Frosty :)

Hello Mike

Sorry to learn about Cadillac. Would they be planning to shoot some "outlaw" matches this year?

Joe: I keep in contact with Bob Hoard and as far as I now they are not, but If I hear anything I will let you know.

Mike

Howdy Joe,

I'm surviving, just barely. Folks around here say this is the worst winter in quite a while, so my timing was impeccable as usual.

Spoke with Mike over at Mecosta and I'll be attending their first match in April.

Looking forward to getting back into rimfire. :)

Gordon:

Keep those jumper cables handy.

This winter is real funny here in Michigan. The Upper Peninsula missed all those snow storms that went through. The last time we had a foot of snow was on December 2nd. We usually get 130-140 inches of snow each year here at the Eastern End of the UP. My guess is maybe 20 - 30 inches so far. But if the Jet Stream changes, we could still get a lot of snow before Spring.

Good to know you made contact with Mike at the Mecosta Range.

Still looking forward to meeting you and shooting that Air Gun. Dan Kutchin is our air gun man up here. He got real excited when I told him about your air gun. He would like to round up some locals for an air gun division during our monthly RF matches. He said it doesn't matter that they are not as accurate as yours. He just wants to get club members shooting AIR.

Mr. Frosty :)

2011 Yoopershoot Flier:
YooperShoot2011.jpg

Last September, while our 16 point covered range was getting a major makeover, we shot our September match on our "Outdoor" 11 point range.
NIce sunny September day here at the top of Michigan.

11pointrange.jpg

I know there are some Clubs & Matches that are not listed here. Can any of you guys provide . . .
Name of Club.
Contact person.
Directions to the range.
Course of fire.
Sanctioned or Outlaw.

Back