Michigan Benchrest Competitor Jim Hutchison...

AJ300MAG

Al Walewski
Has Left the range. Jim passed away yesterday 12/08/2019. As of right now I don't have any information about the funeral, I will post it as soon as I know what the plans are. Jim had been involved in shooting Benchrest since it's inception at Harrison, a fierce competitor Jim was considered to be "the one to beat". Jim was always available to share his expertise, he had a great wealth of knowledge of all things Benchrest and other shooting sports. It's been a privilege to consider Jim a coworker, competitor and friend. We are greatly diminished with the loss of "Hutch". RIP my friend.

I met Jim early when Harrison started holding matches, He was a great guy to be around and a great shooter...

There will be a showing for Jim at the Swartz Funeral Home, 1225 W. Hill Rd Flint MI on Thursday 12/12/2019 from 12:00pm until 2:00pm and again from 4:00pm until 7:00pm. The funeral will be Friday 12/13/2019 beginning at noon. Swartz Funeral Home is just east of the I75~Hill Road exit.

What a Friend

I watched Hutch shoot when we used to shoot at Harrison. I studied him intently (along with Gage). The two of them provided me with a lot of real time classroom experience. Hutch always had that great laugh and that matter of fact mannerism.

They never missed a season at Harrison. If memory serves me correctly I think that Hutch and Gage told me that they attended there for 25 years. Dick Wright started it with Hutch and Gage attending. They were at every match when I started up there. Big Al was the master of ceremonies.

I am deeply saddened about Hutch's passing. He is a great friend to me and I always held him in high regard. He was one of the best.

Rest In Peace my dear friend.

Oh my. I am very sad to hear this. Jim was one of my favorite guys to shoot with. The guy had more patients than anyone I have ever seen when shooting.

RIP Jim

Joe Hynes

Last edited:
Here is a picture of Jim on the left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191209-190146.jpg
    Screenshot_20191209-190146.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 417
So sad, I met Jim back in the early 2000 when I started shooting benchrest. I would like to say when will it ever end but, it will not because we are getting old. Jim was a good friend, I will miss him.
god so many of the good ones are leaving us = tears. I met Hutch and Larry Gage many many years ago, so sad.

Dan Honert

I don't know what to say.

Jim was such a good friend. He and Larry Gage, Pat Canning and I were all at the first match at Harrison with Dick Wright back in like 91 or 92. It was my first benchrest match, and I believe it was for the others too, except Dick. Jim was always a tough competator. He won a lot of matches up there and at Holton and WWCCA and other places where we shot together. Once in a while I would beat him, and I always felt lucky, like I had beaten one of the best. Not just a great shooter, but a loyal friend, especially to his shooting buddy Larry Gage, another tough competator. Its hard to see that he is gone, along with Dick and his wife Gloria (the child bride). Life is getting more empty. God bless them all, and those they leave behind. Tears of sadness.
Larry Feusse

Don't know what to say, what a great guy and a great friend. Yes, Jim was always the one to beat. Take care Hutch!!

Jeff Aberegg

Back