McMillan Edge, Kelbly Klub

Lee Martin

I'm building a 6 PPC for competition (probably HV but I may go 10.5) and will be ordering the stock soon. I've narrowed it to McMillan's Edge or Kelbly's Klub. Can you guys offer some practical advice and impressions on each? I know what I'm asking is subjective and open ended but your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee,
Between the two, I like the Klub. However, if you are not stuck on the pistol grip style, I recommend their new low riding stock, the KLP.

Hovis

get the Klub,,,,its a proven winner,,,and no long wait,,,Kelblys are a great bunch-0-folks to deal with,,,Roger

It also depends on the games you play. The low ride, low angle butt stock does not work well in the score game where as it will in the group match.

Francis,
Just curious, why do you say the KLP doesn't work for score?

Cheers,
Keith

Just don't try to change between Edge-type and Klub-type forearms. The front bag setup is quite different. You can guess how I found out.

I have both the Klub and the Edge stocks, both are nice but I like the Klub better.

both stocks need a lot of work out of the box, both stock I have were full of air bubbles and holes, it took days to fill all holes and get it ready for paint.

for the price of those stocks you'd think they would have some kind of quality control..

Kelbly Klub or KLP?

I share 100% Hovis opinion don't shoot score but think the new KLP is even better than the Klub in terms of bag riding.

Any experience and opinions on the Meredith design, made by both? I have a friend with a couple of rifles that were built on the McMillan version and they seem to track very well.

for the price of those stocks you'd think they would have some kind of quality control..

Quality Control, in general, if done right, can be an expensive proposition. With margins being squeezed, most companies just don't implement it. They view it as another expense that cuts into profits. They rely on the operators or technicians to do their job correctly. Employee selection becomes critical.

...and it is incumbent on the customers to vote with their dollars. There is a well known supplier that I've done my last bit of business with after their customer service went to heck.

Boyd,

For centerfire, TM's stock made by Kelbly's is recommended. For rimfire, the McMillian version is what Tom recommends. They both track very well and if Tom does the work, you'll know they are right when you receive them. Even for glue-in, Tom has a special way of doing the bedding.

The reason for using one for Centerfire and the other for rimfire, has to do with vibration dampening and flex. If more info is needed, just call Tom, he can explain it better than I.

Hovis

Boyd,

For centerfire, TM's stock made by Kelbly's is recommended. For rimfire, the McMillian version is what Tom recommends. They both track very well and if Tom does the work, you'll know they are right when you receive them. Even for glue-in, Tom has a special way of doing the bedding.

The reason for using one for Centerfire and the other for rimfire, has to do with vibration dampening and flex. If more info is needed, just call Tom, he can explain it better than I.

Hovis

Hovis that is a very interesting bit of information......does Tom have an email address I can contact him by?

I have a Kelbly Klub that I got Kelbly's to finish and paint for me, they even bedded it for a Panda and the stock fitted my action like a glove so a wee bit of prep work and glue the action in, I like it as it tracks well and find it rides the bags as well as my Scoville and my Terry Leonard........Ian

Mks,
I should have prefaced that with, " For a bag squeezer, the low ride, low pitch butt stock angle stocks" are not the best option for score shooting. For the bag squeezer, there is too much fussing around to get adequate elevation to cover the entire target.
Francis, you should have added

"for the bag squeezer who doesn't use a stop on the front rest."

For those who rely on a stop, the angle of the butt is not at play.

Last edited:
Aunt Francis,,, tell me more about "squeeze",, sounds good
Not at all, Charles.
It's tougher to elevate when moving the stock fore and aft when the bottom angle of the butt stock is shallow. And to squeeze to elevate requires more " squeeze".

Back