Match equipment lists (50/50)?

Kirk Ethridge

I noticed by placing my curser on names on match results that equipment lists are shown,

The problem is that it seems that only a few of the clubs are gathering this information.

Are the registration forms not standard? It would be very informative if everyone posted an equipment list like NBRSA/IBS ect do. this could give new shooters some idea of equipment trends..

I notice you Kettlefoot shooters don't list equipment,,, shame on you!

Kirk

Last edited:
Kirk
It is our practice that we have each shooter fill out once a year a liability release form and ask for there equipment used

I have checked our shooters File and can not find where you have shot at Kettlefoot this year 2010
I also can not find where you have shot at Wilderness Road in 2010 either

If we are hosting an ARA event in addition to the above
We fill out and send to ARA the shooters equipment list with each match

I will be happy to send you directions to either Kettlefoot
or Wilderness Road
If you would like to receive them just
Send me your email address or physical address

Looking forward to having you

Sincerely,
Cliff Keesee

By the Way Shame on you for not coming to shoot with us

Kirk: IR50 does not request/require equipment lists generally. For ARA an equipment list is a requirement although not mandatory that the list be filled in accurately by the shooter. The most accurate list will be from the PSL as Dan walks the line before each relay and checks your bench gear against the list. All other lists are general and not all that accurate from target to target.

In defense of Cliff (not that he needs any) if an equipment list is required by the rules he will be compiling one. Your beef should be with the owner of the rules. Kettlefoot does a superb job, Cliff works his butt off and no way should he feel any shame and I doubt he will. bob

ARA no longer requires equipment lists for any match other than state championships and nationals. Bob is right in that they are seldom accurate, if for no other reason than someone changed guns in the middle of a match for some reason.

What would any Club do with this information? I understand the need for personal info for release of liability and notification of future matches. Cliff probably won't ask how much you weigh, the color of your hair or the color of your eyes. All about as important as the need for equipment used information.
Keep saving trees Cliff, at least we only fill out the release once a year!

You're less than an hour from Kettlefoot.Instead of looking at an obsolete equipment list come to a match and actually see what the guys are shooting.Last weekend there were over forty shooters including some of the best on the east coast.

Kirk: IR50 does not request/require equipment lists generally. For ARA an equipment list is a requirement although not mandatory that the list be filled in accurately by the shooter. The most accurate list will be from the PSL as Dan walks the line before each relay and checks your bench gear against the list. All other lists are general and not all that accurate from target to target.

In defense of Cliff (not that he needs any) if an equipment list is required by the rules he will be compiling one. Your beef should be with the owner of the rules. Kettlefoot does a superb job, Cliff works his butt off and no way should he feel any shame and I doubt he will. bob

You misunderstand, I have no beef, I just think it would be interesting to see what equipment is placing where, (just like centerfire). When one registers for a centerfire match, the form includes spaces for equipment. action, barrel, scope, stock , ect. If you don't want anyone to know what you are shooting, you just leave it blank, though i've noticed most fill in the blanks. I've never noticed the list being compared to what was actually used/ listed however. I don't think this should be a rule, just a matter of interest.

My "shame on you" remark was in jest. I just noticed on the match results page for IR 50/50, some matches show equipment lists, some don't.

Kirk

You're less than an hour from Kettlefoot.Instead of looking at an obsolete equipment list come to a match and actually see what the guys are shooting.Last weekend there were over forty shooters including some of the best on the east coast.

What equipment was Tony Boyer shooting? I had 2 buddies at the shoot and neither of them knew, I noticed he did quite well.

Kirk

I also like to look at the equipment used and the smith's . Just for good reading, and seeing some trends appear.

Kirk,
Equipment will never win a match. It's ammo, tuneing, and the shooter. Your so fixated at equipment that you'll never get past the work it takes to get the $h!t going. It's a tough world out there. Believe me it's a tough world out there.

John M. Carper

What equipment was Tony Boyer shooting? I had 2 buddies at the shoot and neither of them knew, I noticed he did quite well.

Kirk

I think Tony was shooting a Gordon Eck rifle with a rock creek barrel

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirk,
Equipment will never win a match. It's ammo, tuneing, and the shooter. Your so fixated at equipment that you'll never get past the work it takes to get the $h!t going. It's a tough world out there. Believe me it's a tough world out there.

John M. Carper

John, I agree with you in principle but don't you think you can handicap yourself with a bad choice of equipment regardless of what class shooter you are? I think the list can be used to see trends in barrels, ammo, smiths, etc if you're planning a purchase or a build. If you see many of the top shooters with the same brand barrel....it's got to make a light go off in your head. As you said it doesn't make you a better shooter but maybe you're not handicapping yourself out of the gate. I like to see the list however I can see where they are a pain to everyone.

There is one reason and one only why every target doesn't have the equipment listed. It takes time and effort with no apparent return on investment.

Whistler mentioned that equipment lists could be used to see trends and that's right except that by the time a trend is recognized another is in the pipeline.

Wilbur

You should figure out how to get some advertising kick backs from the listed manufacture's and then it would be relevant! I list them when I have time because I know people are interested and also keep stats in my head to see when a top level competitor has had a change. BV

Kirk,

John M. Carper

Oh contrare... it takes the right equipment too. I've not seen too many department store rifles win much actually never... The best ammo and tuning won"t win without a capable barrel as a matter of fact, without a good/great barrel, a tuner don't do much at all no matter how good the ammo is .. .

I've won rimfire tournaments and built rifles that have won matches i even hold a rimfire record in NBRSA , i know what it takes to win. I've won shooting competition in national rimfire competition and on the National and World level in another shooting discipline.

I would say you can count on one hand the actions that are capable of winning matches today. You might find a few more barrels that can win. No,, equipment is quite important before you start any of the "work" you may think you know about. The "tough" you speak of is only in your mind.. The winner has a different mind set than the "also ran" shooters. but at the same time, he/she will be shooting the best equipment available period.

Your comment is insulting and way out of line.

Kirk

Last edited:
There is one reason and one only why every target doesn't have the equipment listed. It takes time and effort with no apparent return on investment.

Whistler mentioned that equipment lists could be used to see trends and that's right except that by the time a trend is recognized another is in the pipeline.

I'm sure there is no return on investment, I applaud the guys who run the matches. They should be applauded more than the "winner". I used to help run some of the matches at Cherokee a number of yrs ago and know what a difficult and mostly thankless job it is. . An equipment list is just more data to enter in the computer for posting. and you are correct, it is alway changing. Tempis Fugit (excuse my spelling)

Kirk

I tend to agree with Kirk that you gotta have a good rifle to win or be competitive. Certainly, you need skills as well but nobody ever learned how to win a benchrest match with an inaccurate rifle. Some enjoy working with a rifle to squeeze every point they can out of it. To each his own...

Disclaimer - good and inaccurate are undefinable terms as used in this post.

Back