Mark-ups simply shocking

Never heard of Midway owning Brownells either, but Sinclar is closing their walk in counter May 1, '10.

Another deal where there's going to be no changes after purchase.

Everytime I go to Powder Valley whatever I'm looking for is out of stock. Usually, Graffs has the item, abit a little higher, sometimes.

Not going to get in a peeing match over the price of cars . They are the biggest rip yet.
I guess if you count all of the phone calls and orders , shipping charges from asia, shipping charges from canada , shipping charges from mexico, brazil, and just about anyplace in the world it might come out to 38 hrs with the gulf course time LOL Its still a lie':D

Yet...you continue to pee...:D

Herters

I grew up about 60 miles east of Herters if anyone remembers that store and catalog...Herters "world famous" this and that. We'd save our 4-H and chore money and pops would load us up a couple times a year and we'd head to Waseca MN and go shoppin'.That was after months of late night studying of the Herters catalog. I miss those days but...
I think Herters was the blue print for many of the hunting/fishing chains today. Cabellas, Gander, Bass Pro, etc are very similar in that it's great to go there and get a look and feel for what you are thinking about buying. Where and when one eventually makes a purchase is purely a personal choice.
George Herter's best book ever...No kiddin', "How to live with a B****". And I assumed in my young farm boy head it was going to be about his gun dog....doh:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
"The one I visit is Gander Mountain, but there are others much the same."

I've owned/run a couple of small retail stores that didn't have enough volume so I closed them. IF I'd had customers who would have swallowed the mark-ups of Gander I would have done okay! Some folks even suggested I raise my prices and that was attractive but I knew it would soon cut my traffic even more so I determined I didn't have the right business for my community and closed. Gouging will cut your own throat in most businesses when normal competition comes into play, and it always does eventually. I don't denegrate Gander for their prices, they can charge what they want, but we determine what we will pay so I don't buy there either.

The Gander I sometimes visit has component prices about 50% higher than the Sportsman's Warehouse I pass to get to Gander and that's where I spend my money. Last month Gander had primers running 'bout $60 a thou, SW had the same stuff 'bout $40; even that's a bit higher than I'm comfortable paying so I only bought one brick of CCI LP-M. I think primer, powder, etc, prices will drop back to "normal" when the hoarders and panic buyers quit buying everthing in sight at any price they can find it.

Herter's was the greatest. There will never be another Herters.

George Leonard Herter was the greatest b_____ artist who ever wrote an ad.

Even so, his catalog was a hoot.

I remember the "naked Indian maiden" jello mold. Could almost imagine all the lonely guys out there making jello.

I bought a LOT of stuff from Herter's over the years -- if more guys like me were out there, they never would have gone broke.

I always get a kick out of these moaning and groaning threads regardless of if they are in Canada or the US.

Aren't you glad you have so many choices?
Do you ever stop and think if it were not for all the places you have to shop, the price you pay may be considerable higher?
How can you expect all stores to sell at the same price? If they did that you really would have something to groan about. :)

+ 1... as almost of us who does not live in US think about it..

"The one I visit is Gander Mountain, but there are others much the same."

I've owned/run a couple of small retail stores that didn't have enough volume so I closed them. IF I'd had customers who would have swallowed the mark-ups of Gander I would have done okay! Some folks even suggested I raise my prices and that was attractive but I knew it would soon cut my traffic even more so I determined I didn't have the right business for my community and closed. Gouging will cut your own throat in most businesses when normal competition comes into play, and it always does eventually. I don't denegrate Gander for their prices, they can charge what they want, but we determine what we will pay so I don't buy there either.

The Gander I sometimes visit has component prices about 50% higher than the Sportsman's Warehouse I pass to get to Gander and that's where I spend my money. Last month Gander had primers running 'bout $60 a thou, SW had the same stuff 'bout $40; even that's a bit higher than I'm comfortable paying so I only bought one brick of CCI LP-M. I think primer, powder, etc, prices will drop back to "normal" when the hoarders and panic buyers quit buying everthing in sight at any price they can find it.

Sportsmen Warehouse was great. The one in Dearborn, MI closed. :mad:
The next closest Lexington, KY closed.
Up here SW competed with Cabela's, 2 gander Mountains, 2 Bass Pro shops(hour drive for those).
Still use their credit card. Every $2500 they give back $25 gift card. :)
The best part. No sales ads. in local newspaper. I asked a manager about this. He said "Why give the Liberal newspapers advertising money. We just keep the prices low".
Great place.

Back